Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Cafe Racer

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
If you recall, a few months ago I commissioned a custom white cafe racer style jacket with full perforations. You guessed it, it finally came.

I'm really pleased with the fit but still need to adjust the position of the armor. Seams along the outer arms are triple stitched. Just about everything else is double stitched. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but form (and color) follows function...

It's got to be the coolest leather jacket I've ever owned - the full perfororations and white color really help keep you cool.

PICT0769.jpg

PICT0770sm.jpg

Untitled34.jpg

Untitled1-6.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Well, if nothing else, you can't be accused of being a slave to fashion trends lol . After a few months collecting bug splat, you'll look like a dalmatian on a motorcycle. :D

Certainly distinctive, I must say. Enjoy!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Is that a European jacket? Because the zipper is on the 'wrong' (left) side for an American mens jacket. A Dainese mens motorcycle jacket that I purchased while in Rome had the zipper on the left, but that was in Rome.

The reason I ask is because the zipper, and the color, initially made me think this is a womens' jacket. In any case, if you love it, then wear it with pride.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
Is that a European jacket? Because the zipper is on the 'wrong' (left) side for an American mens jacket. A Dainese mens motorcycle jacket that I purchased while in Rome had the zipper on the left, but that was in Rome.

The reason I ask is because the zipper, and the color, initially made me think this is a womens' jacket. In any case, if you love it, then wear it with pride.
Zipper's on the right - umm I think that's the "right" side.

Well screw fashion. I have a low tolerance for heat but always wear my gear... so it's either this or wear a mesh jacket. Always feel safer w/ leather.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
TheSnark said:
Well, if nothing else, you can't be accused of being a slave to fashion trends lol . After a few months collecting bug splat, you'll look like a dalmatian on a motorcycle. :D

Certainly distinctive, I must say. Enjoy!
Trust me, this thing is gonna be tan within a few weeks. It's going to look like a Jackson Pollock. I might wipe it down at the end of the season but that's about it. lol

The white helps reflect back some of the solar energy - it's also extremely visible which always helps too.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
Trust me, this thing is gonna be tan within a few weeks. It's going to look like a Jackson Pollock. I might wipe it down at the end of the season but that's about it. lol

The white helps reflect back some of the solar energy - it's also extremely visible which always helps too.

Yeah, I hear that lol. I got a deerskin jacket (natural tan color) this spring from Johnson Leather to get through the summer in Tucson. I do have a good tolerance for heat, but black leather in 110+ temps does get to you after a couple of hours in the sun. Deerskin isn't as tough as the other usual hides, but it breathes like nothing else, and looks natural in a light tan color. It doesn't score any points as traditional biker garb, but it's working well for me for comfort and wearability.

Your jacket really does look like a great fit. Ride safe!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
captaincaveman1 said:
Zipper's on the right - umm I think that's the "right" side.

Well screw fashion. I have a low tolerance for heat but always wear my gear... so it's either this or wear a mesh jacket. Always feel safer w/ leather.

Um, yeah, youre right - must be a little lysdexia setting in.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap I am between bikes right now but if I get another one I think I may shelve my perforated black Vanson Force and buy one in battleship or pearl gray. The sun beating down on a black leather jacket during the summer is no fun at all! I think you made a great choice ordering one in a lighter color.

jchosko

Familiar Face
that's a great looking and fitting jacket. wear it in good health! i think now you may need a white bike to match... ;)

nashopolis

New in Town
that is a great jacket - i joined the lounge so I could say that ....and ask some questions. I ride bikes and I hate most of the options out there sans the great stuff you all already know about here. There are some great options available but like you say most of them are not summer jackets. I've never tried the custom route fearing it was out of my price range.

I would almost want to buy that exact jacket - is there anything you'd change now that you have it?
how's the white holding up ?

cost - is it kosher to ask what it cost to make a jacket like that?
maybe you could email me if you'd rather not say online.

was the maker easy to work with? what did you need to provide for an example of the style you were after?

thanks for posting up a sweet jacket. It looks like a great fit on you.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good idea, CC1. I wear mesh on longer rides during the summer months, but that jacket is a good idea. How thick is the leather? I wouldn't worry too much about it getting bug splatter; the dirtier it gets, the more character it presents.

And welcome to the club, Nashopolis; you are just up the road from me. I'm South of Franklin and work in Nashville.

nashopolis

New in Town
thanks for the welcome - I run a letterpress shop in nashville and love motorcycles and cool old stuff!

- give me a shout and stop by sometime if you like (find me at isleofprinting.com)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Thanks. Yeah vendor was easy to work with. In hindsight, I'd probably ask for small holes in the torso to match the arms. Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied. The white dirties quick... already darker around neck and cuffs but that's the price you pay for a white jacket and totally expected.

I paid 380 w/ shipping. Sent him very detailed pictures of the Schott 641 and very precise measurements of another jacket that fits well.

nashopolis said:
that is a great jacket - i joined the lounge so I could say that ....and ask some questions. I ride bikes and I hate most of the options out there sans the great stuff you all already know about here. There are some great options available but like you say most of them are not summer jackets. I've never tried the custom route fearing it was out of my price range.

I would almost want to buy that exact jacket - is there anything you'd change now that you have it?
how's the white holding up ?

cost - is it kosher to ask what it cost to make a jacket like that?
maybe you could email me if you'd rather not say online.

was the maker easy to work with? what did you need to provide for an example of the style you were after?

thanks for posting up a sweet jacket. It looks like a great fit on you.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I think the reason the jacket fits so well owes alot to the detailed measurements I sent. Here's a screenshot.

Untitled-11.jpg

Here are some more pics after break-in. I guess motorcyclists would recognize some of the little details that make this a highly functional moto jacket. The long sleeves and sloping back panel look goofy off the bike but pull up to just the right length when you're in the saddle. The bi-swing back gives your arms freedom to reach for the bars. The mandarin collar stands tall enough to blunt the impact of bugs and stones but doesn't get in the way of neck movement. Single piece back reduces seams and increases integrity of overall jacket. Armor in the shoulder/elbows/back.

Untitled3-8.jpg

Untitled444.jpg

Untitled434.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled55.jpg

nashopolis

New in Town
thanks that is great info!

the bigger perf's look pretty nice to me from the pics - it gives the jacket some contrast. Do they not work functionally?

Maybe some unperfed leather on the elbows and lower back for abrasion.

so those are the measurements of the jacket you took?
that's half my problem I don't have a jacket I feel like really fits me.

I guess I could give them my body measurements and hope for the best!

I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see what we can work out.
that is a killer deal for some custom work

I always wonder about the 8' back zip vs the 360 zip. most of my riding pants just have the 8" zipper. But I'm thinking I might go ahead and get them to make me some pants while I am at it.

I have a stack of gear I bought that was "the right price" but I never wear because of fit or style. I feel like it is time to get one set i actually like that will last me a good long while.

Any thoughts on what would make for some non tool/sex worker looking leather pants?
I've been looking around for some ideas.

nashopolis

New in Town
oh yeah one other question for you

is it cool? I have a black perf jacket that is okay but it is still pretty hot for riding in the Nashville heat at city speeds. At speed it seems pretty alright.

I was considering a mesh jacket for around town but like leather way better for the reasons you stated.

andy richards

Practically Family
That is a great looking jacket, congratulations!
This jacket will certainly keep you cool during summer rides. Also, for safetly reasons, other people will notice you as motor cyclist sooner as you are wearing white. Don't worry about the jacket getting dirty. Sure, there will be grime, bugs, dirt on the jacket, but that will be on any motor-jacket. Just give it a quick clean up after a ride with a wet cloth. Also, there are several brands that carry white polish. Good luck and enjoy your jacket.
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21