Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have two questions for you all.

1. On my pair of whites, the right foot seems to give me some discomfort at the break on the toe area. I don't know why, as they are the right size, but it seems to just give me a big of discomfort at the crease. Left shoe is perfect. Anyone else ever have this issue?

2. So I have a pair of black chromexcel and brown chromexcel (on order) in semi dress with toe caps. I really want a pair of the bounty hunters. Would it be stupid to go with the black chromexcel again? It would basically be the same boot, but with a higher top. I think its a waste of money so to speak, but they would replace my doc martens. I would love to have a pair in a Maroon/Blood color. I have seen the Blood Buffalo, and they are just way to shiny. Any suggestions?

univibe88

One Too Many
1. Sounds like they just need more breaking in. Go for a long walk.

2. I personally wouldn't want 2 boots of the same leather. Go for an oxblood. I am sure they have an oxblood in something other than buffalo.

Last edited:

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
The "long walk" sounds about right. Or take it to your cobbler and they may be able to do something about it. I had a thread on the inside of a boot once that did something similar. A quick cut and all was better.

As to the boots in the same leather, I wouldn't. But its your money. You might want to do the bounty hunter in the bull hide. Great looking rustic leather with a hard finish that can be semi-water proofed. I'm looking at the cowboy packers in the bull hide-- I own 20+ pairs of cowboy boots, but not a pair that laces up! Good luck!

CH

univibe88

One Too Many
I have the water buffalo. It is a thinner leather, that is why it must be lined. However thickness is not directly correlated with strength in leather. Kangaroo is very thin yet very strong. For that reason it is used for the palms of motorcycle gloves.

The buffalo does take on wrinkles and scratches very easily. If you want something to stay smooth and polished like a dress shoe, I don't think it will be a good choice. Personally I am enjoying the depth and character of the wrinkles and scratches.

halberdklown

New in Town
I got my boots today. I ordered them through Baker's Boots on Thursday 1/20 and they shipped on Thursday 2/17 - 4 weeks to the day!

Here are the details:

Size 9FF
Black Cherry Water Buffalo
Lined with red leather
Swing Last
Standard Heel
Vibram Composition Half Sole (I like the vintage look of the half sole, and I HATE the black line running through the middle of the heel on a full vibram sole)
Brown edge
Antique eyes and hooks
Pull loops (seems most people don't get the pull loops, but I like them)

Here are some initial observations. I called Baker's and gave them the length and width measurements of my foot. I wear a 9EEE in Allen Edmonds, so I was thinking 9F or FF. They recommended I got with the 9FF. I am glad I got the widest width available. I would not want them any narrower. I think I could have gone with an 8.5 though.

It turns out the red leather liner is not red. It is more like a Sienna.

I wish that I got the close trim option. They standard treatment is for a double row of stitching around the sole. It does protrude pretty far. The close trim only has a single row. I hoped to wear these with a suit on nasty winter days. I still will, but I think the close trim would be a bit dressier.

Others have said the laces that come with the boots leave something to be desired. I agree. I'm going to pick up some leather laces soon.

I welcome your thoughts/questions.

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg
univibe88, I was wondering if you could update us on how your white's are coming along! I've haven't seen much info on how water buffalo ages, and I was curious to see what you thought about the leather considering that I hear it is trimmed pretty thin.

Also, if you or anyone else could comment, how tall is the standard cuban heel when paired with the vibram half soles? I hear some say the heel isn't as bad in person as it is in pictures, but I'd like to put a number to that and maybe compare with my Alden Roy boots

EDIT**

just noticed some of your thoughts on the leather in the post above mine, oops! that's what i get for starting to reply after being redirected here from a google image search. happen to have some pictures?

univibe88

One Too Many
just noticed some of your thoughts on the leather in the post above mine, oops! that's what i get for starting to reply after being redirected here from a google image search. happen to have some pictures?

Not a problem :) I wore mine nearly every day from June-October, so they are getting broken in. I had been thinking of taking some recent pics for you guys. I will work on it over the weekend..

halberdklown

New in Town
^great! thanks a lot, can't wait to see them
Also, if you could by chance measure the height of the normal cuban heel on your pair? It is the exact configuration I want with the half soles

univibe88

One Too Many
In case anyone was wondering why I wore them from June until October and then seemed to stop, I had shoulder surgery on Oct 14. Yesterday was the first day I was able to tie my own shoes again! I was happy to tie on my Whites again.

I gave them a heavy coat of Obenauf's LP when they were brand new. Other than that I have done nothing to them. They aren't dress shoes so I don't feel the need to keep a smooth finish on them. The leather still has a great luster to it, which you can see by the flash reflecting in the pictures.

There is a deep red hue and depth of color that I can't capture in the pictures. The scuffing on the outside of the heels came from bouncing around in the plastic side case on my motorcycle. I ride to work in my MC boots and change when I get to work.

You may be able to tell the relative thinness of the water buffalo by looking at the tongue. It is unlined. But I don't feel like they are fragile at all.

7575c573.jpg

007e8a78.jpg

80c638f3.jpg

8f643f07.jpg

f4ce0590.jpg

70ce7d43.jpg

79179a31.jpg

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Well....

I was all set to buy some Burgundy French Calf Bounty Hunters today. I called White's and talked to a wonderful saleslady. She told me the actually have a very nice Haroween Chromexcel Burgundy, that she said looked better than the burgundy french calf. So she talked me into it. I decided to stick with the style I have been getting. Semi-Dress with toe cap and block heel. I decided again to go with double stitching on the outside. I was going to do black eyelits and black dyed soles. She said the antique hardware and brown dyed looked so much better for that color, so again I took her word. SHe said I was really pushing it for Christmas, but I suppose we will see :)

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I can't wait to see that chromexcel burgundy. They said they would send out a sample, but i was trying and praying for christmas delivery. I couldn't wait. I really like that two tone brown semi dress on ebay. they NEVER have a 11.5EE size on their ebay store :(

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So a while ago I was asked to post a few more pics of the British tan. Now that I've had these for a bit, you can see how they are wearing. I've noticed the British tan picks up water spots easily that don't come out, mostly on the toe area. Some days I think this adds character and I like it, some days it bothers me. Also, now that I've had these, I love them, but if I were to order a second pair, I don't know that I would get the cap toe.

Here are some outdoor shots, cloudy day
100_8311.jpg

100_8313.jpg

Outdoor shots, sunny day
100_8315.jpg

100_8314.jpg

Indoor shots, natural lighting
100_8320.jpg

100_8321.jpg

Last edited:

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Beautiful shoes indeed. I completely understand character vs staining. They do look very nice though. I m stuck in a toe cap rut. Eventually Ill buy a pair without a cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails