Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Celebrity Look-Alikes?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
We must be similarly broken, then. I saw both on the USA Channel, after my parents went to bed.

:eek: Are you sure you aren't me??? I got turned on for the first time watching Dracula. I had no idea I was getting turned on, not until I was older and knew what being turned on meant. The Warhol films are really cringeworthy and OTT, but that is what makes them good. Joe would have been a great actor in silent films. ;)

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
Or close proximity to me( I am Mrs. Cleavers apprentice:D )! In addition to the Poe, sitting back with a volme of Shakepear makes me happy too!

It that case - Golly, gosh, gee whiz, aw c'mon, give 'im the business, you're gonna get it, whatd'ja go and do that for, holler, goon, slug 'im one, neato, swell. :D

Kiss Ms. Billingsley for me. ;)

The Bard and Poe - Check! How do you get along with Baudelaire?

Warm Cookies and Cold Absinthe,

T.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
:eek: Are you sure you aren't me??? I got turned on for the first time watching Dracula. I had no idea I was getting turned on, not until I was older and knew what being turned on meant. The Warhol films are really cringeworthy and OTT, but that is what makes them good. Joe would have been a great actor in silent films. ;)

I can think of several tests to find out, but never mind. :rolleyes:

I sheepishly admit that I, too found both of those films, erm, moving. I was aware that I was watching something that was most definitely perverse in a number of highly unusual ways, but that only made it all the more riveting...

Have you made forays into indie gutter cinema like Blood Money or Schiaffoni e Karate and so on? You're a Chicagoan - I wonder if Facets has all those titles?

2074532202_4d985bb14d.jpg

Your Comrade in Childhood Trauma,

T.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
<table height="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tr><td height="1"><embed src="http://www.myheritagefiles.com/video/I/28/f0hi90_5072767d82f474cdafwt90" width="340" height="340" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></td></tr></table>

I probably should try a different photo

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
It that case - Golly, gosh, gee whiz, aw c'mon, give 'im the business, you're gonna get it, whatd'ja go and do that for, holler, goon, slug 'im one, neato, swell. :D

Kiss Ms. Billingsley for me. ;)

The Bard and Poe - Check! How do you get along with Baudelaire?

Warm Cookies and Cold Absinthe,

T.

Who's Baudelaire? Is this someone I shold know of?Swell vocablary btw.

Samantha

Miss Brill

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
I can think of several tests to find out, but never mind. :rolleyes:

I sheepishly admit that I, too found both of those films, erm, moving. I was aware that I was watching something that was most definitely perverse in a number of highly unusual ways, but that only made it all the more riveting...

Have you made forays into indie gutter cinema like Blood Money or Schiaffoni e Karate and so on? You're a Chicagoan - I wonder if Facets has all those titles?

2074532202_4d985bb14d.jpg

Your Comrade in Childhood Trauma,

T.

Ya know, I think I would die if I had a child & I walked in on said child watching movies like that. I don't think I'd want television or the internet in the house if I had a child. I've lived life au naturale, but I feel like I'd be an overprotective parent. Today's children aren't as sophisticated as we were. ;)

I was a Chicagoan. I'm in Tennessee now. :(

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
Who's Baudelaire? Is this someone I shold know of?Swell vocablary btw. Samantha

:eek:fftopic:

If you love someone like Poe, then absolutely! The father of the Symbolist poets of 19th Century France, The imagery of Charles Baudelaire is a dark, evocative collision of the gorgeous and the gutter, by turns highly romantic and deeply cynical, shot through with a decadent beauty that will leave you uncertain whether you've been romanced or ravished.

His work is written, of course, in French. However, if you don't speak French, there's nonetheless a translation which is more faithful to his meaning than his literal words which I like a lot. It also contains the works of two other giants of French Symbolist poetry, Arthur Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine, a fascinating pair who I'll leave you to discover for yourself. Here's the English volume in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Baudelaire-Rimbaud-Verlaine-Selected-Verse/dp/0806501960

Quote from the advert (with which I agree):

To bring the essence of these three giants of modern poetry to the American public, Joseph M. Bernstein, a noted interpreter and translator of French literature, has selected the most representative of their writings and presented them along with a biographical and critical introduction.

"Not to know these three poets", he points out, "is to deprive oneself of a pleasure as rare as it is indispensable to any real understanding of the aims and direction of modern literature.

If the above doesn't pique your interest, consider that Baudelaire's best-known work is entitled, "Fleurs du Mal" (Flowers of Evil). Does a Poe fan need any further incitement?

Among my favourites are "The Jewels", "Portraits of Mistresses", and "A Hemisphere in Tresses" which was quoted famously by Uncle Monty in "Withnail and I" (If you've never seen it, there's a thread on it here. Do give it a look).

Here's a whiff...

"Laisse-moi respirer longtemps, longtemps, l'odeur de tes cheveux , y plonger tout mon visage, comme un homme alt?©r?© dans l'eau d'une source, et les agiter avec ma main comme un mouchoir odorant, pour secouer des souvenirs dans l'air..."

"Let me breathe in for a long, long time the scent of your hair, let me plunge my entire face into it, like a thirsty man into the water of a spring, and let me wave it in my hand like a scented handkerchief, to shake memories into the air..."

Oh god, I need to sit down...

T.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
Ya know, I think I would die if I had a child & I walked in on said child watching movies like that. I don't think I'd want television or the internet in the house if I had a child. I've lived life au naturale, but I feel like I'd be an overprotective parent. Today's children aren't as sophisticated as we were. ;)

I was a Chicagoan. I'm in Tennessee now. :(

I understand completely. Living a less-than-blameless life makes one aware of what kinds of things one's offspring can get up to. Funny how we turn into archetypical parents, innit?

One of my ex-girlfriends who still speaks to me lives in Jamestown, Tennessee, and since she raises horses, I come down when the weather is fine and we go riding. Gorgeous country...

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:

If you love someone like Poe, then absolutely! The father of the Symbolist poets of 19th Century France, The imagery of Charles Baudelaire is a dark, evocative collision of the gorgeous and the gutter, by turns highly romantic and deeply cynical, shot through with a decadent beauty that will leave you uncertain whether you've been romanced or ravished.

His work is written, of course, in French. However, if you don't speak French, there's nonetheless a translation which is more faithful to his meaning than his literal words which I like a lot. It also contains the works of two other giants of French Symbolist poetry, Arthur Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine, a fascinating pair who I'll leave you to discover for yourself. Here's the English volume in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Baudelaire-Rimbaud-Verlaine-Selected-Verse/dp/0806501960

Quote from the advert (with which I agree):

To bring the essence of these three giants of modern poetry to the American public, Joseph M. Bernstein, a noted interpreter and translator of French literature, has selected the most representative of their writings and presented them along with a biographical and critical introduction.

"Not to know these three poets", he points out, "is to deprive oneself of a pleasure as rare as it is indispensable to any real understanding of the aims and direction of modern literature.

If the above doesn't pique your interest, consider that Baudelaire's best-known work is entitled, "Fleurs du Mal" (Flowers of Evil). Does a Poe fan need any further incitement?

Among my favourites are "The Jewels", "Portraits of Mistresses", and "A Hemisphere in Tresses" which was quoted famously by Uncle Monty in "Withnail and I" (If you've never seen it, there's a thread on it here. Do give it a look).

Here's a whiff...

"Laisse-moi respirer longtemps, longtemps, l'odeur de tes cheveux , y plonger tout mon visage, comme un homme alt?©r?© dans l'eau d'une source, et les agiter avec ma main comme un mouchoir odorant, pour secouer des souvenirs dans l'air..."

"Let me breathe in for a long, long time the scent of your hair, let me plunge my entire face into it, like a thirsty man into the water of a spring, and let me wave it in my hand like a scented handkerchief, to shake memories into the air..."

Oh god, I need to sit down...

T.

Oh no! I forsee an expensive amazon.com shopping trip! ah!That little excpert left me wanting more.......

Samantha

M Tatterscratch said:
Udo Kier was my man. Anyone who can deliver a line like, "To know death, Otto, one must f**k it in the gallbladder..." is Oscar material.
Well, Tatterscratch, you oughtta see Kier's performances on PC RTS-game Red Alert 2 and its expansion pack...

Miss Brill said:
I got turned on for the first time watching Dracula. I had no idea I was getting turned on, not until I was older and knew what being turned on meant.
:eek: Remind me that if I ever end up in the Kentucky/Tennessee area, I'm gonna need to bring body-armor with throat protection...;)

M Tatterscratch said:
Living a less-than-blameless life makes one aware of what kinds of things one's offspring can get up to. Funny how we turn into archetypical parents, innit?
Or what one's fellow person in general can get up to, for that matter.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets trned on by vampires! I thoght I was a bit ot there!

samantha

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer

Oh me oh my - Get thee behind me, devil-man, and do-ooooon't push! [angel] :whistling

Sometimes I think the world was made this size just to keep too many people like us from congregating in one place. It'd be awfully hard on the vanilla crowd.

Blood is life, Diamondback, my friend, blood is life. And I'll bet our Misses Brill and Retrogirl could talk you right out of that body armour. Kevlar stops bullets, but it doesn't stop a lady with her mind made up.

I hope you'll enjoy M. Baudelaire as thoroughly as early signs say you will. In the meantime, here's a link to a bilingual version of "Fleurs du Mal" - Specifically to Baudelaire's poem, "The Vampire", even though I like the translation of the book I recommended better:

http://fleursdumal.org/poem/128

And Miss. Brill, pardon my curiosity, but if you should ever find yourself wearing your storytelling hat, I'd love to know how you ended up in Tennessee. I'll bet it's interesting.

Vampires and sex, sex and vampires... Is there ever one without the other? Everybody's taking something away with them.

icon6.gif
after dark,

T.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
And Miss. Brill, pardon my curiosity, but if you should ever find yourself wearing your storytelling hat, I'd love to know how you ended up in Tennessee. I'll bet it's interesting.

Ha! I was 7 years old & we moved here because this is where my family is from. My grandmother moved to Chicago in the 1950s because she needed to work to support herself & her daughters (my mom & aunt), and they all decided to move back because we lived in gangland (near the Humboldt Park area), and there was no way out. I'm a 'lil ghetto girl. But I loved it up there. ;)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
I saw them first when I was 11-12 years old. I guess that is what is wrong with me. [huh]

I changed my undies. ;)

I remember watching Warhol's Frankenstein and Dracula as a child on USA Up All Night too!

I think USA Up All Night and Night Tracks helped to make me who I am today. ;) I'll never forget the first time I saw Wendy O. Williams in Reform School Girls... lol

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
I think USA Up All Night and Night Tracks helped to make me who I am today. ;) I'll never forget the first time I saw Wendy O. Williams in Reform School Girls... lol

Yeeeeaaaah! Never forget her on top of that bus, crashing through the wall of tee-vees, either...

A Want a Girl Just Like the Girl That Committed Assault and Battery On Dear Old Dad,

T.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
I remember watching Warhol's Frankenstein and Dracula as a child on USA Up All Night too!

USA used to be so cool. I remember seeing the unedited version of Duran Duran's video for Girls on Film, and they used to show Reefer Madness, and that short with Constance Bennett & her beauty routine.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
Ha! I was 7 years old & we moved here because this is where my family is from. My grandmother moved to Chicago in the 1950s because she needed to work to support herself & her daughters (my mom & aunt), and they all decided to move back because we lived in gangland (near the Humboldt Park area), and there was no way out. I'm a 'lil ghetto girl. But I loved it up there. ;)

Jinkeys! With your hot-dogular knowledge of chic wieneries in the city, I would have sworn you were a present-day Chicagoan. Humboldt is still dicey, even though they're trying to clean it up, which probably requires a special broom just for shell casings. Nothing wrong with being from the ghetto, as long as you don't take it with you when you leave. ;)

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic