Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who gives hats a bad name?

Edward

Bartender
The idea that men shaving their head after going bald was a Nineties trend is nonsense. It certainly was during the Nineties that it became mainstream for a white guy to shave his head when it started thinning, but that has been a gradual cultural shift. Now that people don't automatically associate you with far right politics or make the sort of assumptions that many men fear and make them feel insecure about their sexuality, it's a look that is here to stay. Here's to the death of the sweepover!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm not in favor of shaven heads. The head is symbolic of reason, intelligence, and humanity, but when shaved, it resembles a blunt instrument.

It always squicks me to see women with nice-looking hair next to men whose heads look like phallic weapons. But manliness today is performative, so I'll have to deal.

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I think both Sheen and Drudge look at least as good in their hats as many members of this forum. I hope Sheen cleans their clock. Drudge has never done anything disreputable as far as I know.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Fedoras are cool.

People who wear fedoras have a sense of style. They have presence. It is the very fact that the average fedora-wearing man does not bring some one else to mind. He is there. He is the one to be dealt with right now. That's just the way it is. When the scoundrels, nit wit clowns, and various low-life's wear fedoras it is because they are trying to get a little of the respect customarily doled out to fedora-wearers. It's not against the law and it doesn't fool anyone. Just as real gangsters are scum, and everyone knows it, even if Bobby Darin sings a cool song about them. When you're doing the perp walk it doesn't matter what kind of hat you are wearing. Not to the hat, not to you, not to anyone.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some people can pull off a look that most of us will fail at. Take Bruce Willits. I do not have any pictures stored but in my option he wears hats over his ears and it just add character. Two movies that come to mind are”T he Whole 9 Yards” and “Last Man Standing

Rick Blaine

Quite so

People who wear fedoras have a sense of style. They have presence. It is the very fact that the average fedora-wearing man does not bring some one else to mind. He is there. He is the one to be dealt with right now. That's just the way it is. When the scoundrels, nit wit clowns, and various low-life's wear fedoras it is because they are trying to get a little of the respect customarily doled out to fedora-wearers. It's not against the law and it doesn't fool anyone. Just as real gangsters are scum, and everyone knows it, even if Bobby Darin sings a cool song about them. When you're doing the perp walk it doesn't matter what kind of hat you are wearing. Not to the hat, not to you, not to anyone.

waltwhitman.jpg

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes... conformity goes to the fourth-removed,
I wear my hat as I please indoors or out.
~Walt Whitman

feltfan

Bad journalists give hats a bad name. Here's the latest:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_17558311

"Goorin Bros., which has four locations in the Bay Area, has done its part to casualize and modernize
hats by shortening brims on fedoras..." It's all about "casual" style, which I did not know to be a
synonym for poor quality. But as for giving hats a bad name, there is no
shortage of bad information throughout this article, including the quote from the,
"instructor in the School of Fashion at San Francisco's Academy of Art University"
("Hats made their slow exit when President John F. Kennedy showed up to his 1961
inauguration with a bare head") and some of the tips at the end ("Make sure the
hat sits at your ears, not above or below them"). Sigh.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Bad journalists give hats a bad name. Here's the latest:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_17558311

"Goorin Bros., which has four locations in the Bay Area, has done its part to casualize and modernize
hats by shortening brims on fedoras..." It's all about "casual" style, which I did not know to be a
synonym for poor quality. But as for giving hats a bad name, there is no
shortage of bad information throughout this article, including the quote from the,
"instructor in the School of Fashion at San Francisco's Academy of Art University"
("Hats made their slow exit when President John F. Kennedy showed up to his 1961
inauguration with a bare head") and some of the tips at the end ("Make sure the
hat sits at your ears, not above or below them"). Sigh.

Philistines! It matters not, feltfan, for we are the true keepers of the flame! Let the world like what it likes, and we'll like what we like. A bit tongue in cheek, but true nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner