Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Will Draw Me My Tattoo?

fatwoul

Practically Family
I need someone to draw up my next tattoo. I know pretty much exactly what it needs to look like, but I suck at drawing like that - sharp contrast outline stuff - so I need some help.

I could pay, naturally, so anybody interested in that sort of thing please PM me.

Thanks everyone.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
I need someone to draw up my next tattoo. I know pretty much exactly what it needs to look like, but I suck at drawing like that - sharp contrast outline stuff - so I need some help.

I could pay, naturally, so anybody interested in that sort of thing please PM me.

Thanks everyone.

You might also want to try the tattoo shop/artist you plan on using. Any tattoo artist should be able to work with you to draft the art that you like.

K

kpreed

Tatto

KittyT said:
You might also want to try the tattoo shop/artist you plan on using. Any tattoo artist should be able to work with you to draft the art that you like.
I agree, pick who will do your tat and have them draw it. I have four and my partner has five that she has had done and any drawing was done by the artist doing the tattoo. Good Luck!

fatwoul

Practically Family
It's good advice, but really I am hoping to find an artist willing to help out.

I kinda like the idea of a design being done by someone whose normal medium is not skin and tattoo inks. Partly, because it appeals to me to have it designed by somebody who hasn't done many (a little snobbery and feeling special is involved, I admit), but also, most of the tattoo artists I have found locally do tend to design tattoos, rather than tattoo pictures, if you understand my distinction between the two.

There is also another element to it: I want the tattoo to go through several layers of authorship; My concept in my mind, based on somebody else's writing, the tattoo designed by a third person and applied to me by a fourth. Having the tattoo designed by the tattooist would reduce this to only three layers.

I'm really not making myself all that clear.

What I am looking for is an artist with an understanding of what might be needed in the creation of a tattoo image, rather than a tattooist to convert my idea into a tattoo.

Anyway, I've had a couple of PMs, and when I have a quiet minute further I will discuss it with them.

Thanks all of you for your replies. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
I kinda like the idea of a design being done by someone whose normal medium is not skin and tattoo inks. Partly, because it appeals to me to have it designed by somebody who hasn't done many (a little snobbery and feeling special is involved, I admit), but also, most of the tattoo artists I have found locally do tend to design tattoos, rather than tattoo pictures, if you understand my distinction between the two.

Of course, I understand. At the same time, there is something to be said for having your artwork done by someone who knows what will and will not work in the tattoo medium. Also, keep in mind that many tattoo artists aren't just tattoo artists, but artists who work in more traditional mediums as well. I've met several tattoo artists who are also painters.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Oh, I know, Kitty. Unfortunately I have yet to find anybody like that locally, so I am having to look further afield, and so decided not to concentrate my search on tattoists specifically.

K

kpreed

Tattoo

I understand, it is your body and the tattoo you end up with you will have for a long, long time I hope. Find someone does it like you want. Good Luck on it, and please post the design or the flash for your tattoo, when you get it!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hey Fats

Have you browsed around on Deviantart.com...Lotsa people from all over doing all kinds of art, to include tattoos!...Just my two pence....Good luck my friend!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I designed all my own work. I did months of research and designs before I went in with what I wanted. I just wanted them to copy what I had onto the place on my body I dictated. No guess work, no improvisation. So I understand what you mean.

I like the idea of the tattoo being part/moving with the skin, not simply lying on the skin. If that makes sense. So my main design is something that can grow as I see fit.

LD

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
find a Tattoo artist you like as a person and artistically...

If you can't find that artist then just wait.

I have been tattooing for 17 years, owned my own shop for 10. The last thing I want to hear when a customer walks in is I had my friend,cousin,brother draw up their art, I tend to chuckle and i always give those jobs away to one of my employees to do...

if they are not a tattooist doing your art they will not understand the concept of too much detail, coloring or shading on skin.

start meeting and talking to artist, check out their portfolio, then make a art consultation and bring in some reference material, you know at that point if it was meant to be...

it might be your body, but it's the tattooist name. Certainly many artist will jump to ink anything ya want, they tend to be the ones that need the money, most respectable or successful artist won't do a job when they can't have artistic license, they simply don't need their name attached to crappy art for couple hundred bucks...

Let your tattooist in on the art, you have a happy artist and better work and you won't get over charged....I promise.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
twobarbreak said:
If you can't find that artist then just wait.

it might be your body, but it's the tattooist name. Certainly many artist will jump to ink anything ya want, they tend to be the ones that need the money, most respectable or successful artist won't do a job when they can't have artistic license, they simply don't need their name attached to crappy art for couple hundred bucks...

I waited 10 years for mine...and I -knew- who I wanted to do it. Before I even knew the exact design, I had the artist picked out...

This is -so- true....I remember listening/watching Pat Fish listen to what 'walk ins' and other people wanted while I was getting mine done.....and no joke...she laughed at some of them...humoured others...etc. And mostly it was because rather then having an idea she could help them make real...which is what an artist does, they either wanted her to -copy- something...etc.

p.s. Teresa's jitterbug tattoo is the cutest thing ever TwoBar.... ;)

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
I waited 10 years for mine...and I -knew- who I wanted to do it. Before I even knew the exact design, I had the artist picked out...

This is -so- true....I remember listening/watching Pat Fish listen to what 'walk ins' and other people wanted while I was getting mine done.....and no joke...she laughed at some of them...humoured others...etc. And mostly it was because rather then having an idea she could help them make real...which is what an artist does, they either wanted her to -copy- something...etc.

p.s. Teresa's jitterbug tattoo is the cutest thing ever TwoBar.... ;)

Yea, Pat Fish is something else! Is she still in Santa Barbara? I met her many years ago. She is an incredible artist.

Thanks for the compliment , I loved doing that Jitterbug! It was from a Walter Lantz Cartoon from 1937 when he was still working for Universal...

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions, and in particular many thanks to those of you who PM'd me offering their help. I was kinda flooded with offers, and I am ashamed that I have not had chance to reply personally to all of you. I wanted to just let you all know that the design is now in hand with one of our own loungers. They have experience of line-drawn artwork, and are as enthusiastic about the project as I am.

I know a lot of you advised me to get the tattoo designed by a specific tattoo artist, and I appreciate that would probably make more sense. However, I really wanted to give someone the chance to design it without that previous experience. If the tattooist I finally choose needs to draft from the image I have - simplify it, or whatever - that's fine. Having seen the work this guy has done, I am confident that we will have an image we are both happy with.

I'll be sure to post the results when they are done.

Once again, thank you to all of you who PM'd me with offers. :)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'm an artist and have done tat designs for friends (who've been satisfied with how personalized they were) but I'm pretty overwhelmed with graduate studies right now to help...if you need it in about 2 years, I'm your gal! ;) Sorry!!!!

volatile

A-List Customer
I can't send or receive PMs yet, so excuse the public post...

Fatwoul - I'm very heavily tattooed and know a lot about where to find good artists in the UK in almost any style. You'll find most of the really, really good tattooists are competent fine artists too, and they will be able to design you something that is not only a great image but one that looks great as a tattoo - some things just don't work as well on paper as they do on skin...

What do want, exactly? I can recommend you someone in the UK or mainland Europe who will be able to give you a world-class tattoo...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
volatile said:
I can't send or receive PMs yet, so excuse the public post...

You're almost there - when you hit 15 posts, then you can send/receive PM's. Just hit a few other messages, add a few comments ("Nice hat!" or "Looks sharp!") and you'll be a PM'ing in pretty short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany