Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Hat Bashes

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
...I woke up with a nasty headache, the previous night a blur. Slowly reaching over, I found only a wet old hat. Where had she gone? All I remembered was that she wasn't much of a talker...and kind of short with rough skin. But I didn't remember her wearing a hat...

Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie...

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Ahem, back on topic, we have:
architect Frank Lloyd Wright

frank-lloyd-wright.jpg

This is a bash that has always intrigued me. I don't know that I would call it a "bad" bash, just a very unique one. In fact, I think I might do a cowboy conversion like this, if I had a brim shackle to make that roll.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wolfmanjack said:
Ahem, back on topic, we have:
architect Frank Lloyd Wright

frank-lloyd-wright.jpg

This is a bash that has always intrigued me. I don't know that I would call it a "bad" bash, just a very unique one. In fact, I think I might do a cowboy conversion like this, if I had a brim shackle to make that roll.

The bash is fine but I could never wear a hat so high and...'too small'... for my head. :eusa_doh:

But I'm no genius....

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
You seriously believe that Oppenheimer bashed his hat poorly?

I like the Wright hat as well.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Genius walks beside faith.......

I've always considered that Life cover to be one of the best hat photos ever.

Wright, however, I believe has a bucket of chicken hidden behind him in that 2nd pic.

Oppenheimer just looks like a guy that you wouldn't want to mess with. And who has one heck of a hat.

And Wright's is very interesting, never seen one quite like that. But his house designs are the finest of the era.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found this one for a friend who wanted a hat like Frank Lloyd Wright's.
as I bought it
0aab_1.jpg

Fixed up. I lowered the crown another 3/4 of an inch after taking these pictures once I saw it on his head to correct the proportions and get it closer to those seen in the photos of Wright.

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

It didn't have a liner when I got it- I took the liner from a trashed fedora (which oddly went for almost $300 when I sold it- go figure). The only marking on the hat said it was "The Dakota".

14.hat.jpg

Though I'm certain the hat's not as old as this ad, the name is the same as is they style.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
This kind of creeps me out. Guessing with the pink ribbon, that it's meant to be someone's baby?

8731341.jpg

I just showed this to some of my co-workers. We three guys thought it was undeniably creepy. The lady thought it was adorable. I described it with just two words...

Nightmare Fuel :eek:

One of my buddies said it reminded him of the mutant rebellion leader from "Total Recall".

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
"Baby Face" hat

I wonder if you could do a 'death mask' hat if the hat was made of soft enough felt?

Couldn't be any more creepy than the plaster ones.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'm thinking back to the ForgottenMan and FeltFan posts back in 6/17, because they reflected something that came to me. Some of the best vintage fedoras I have don't possess a particular crown shape...it's whatever you put into them at the moment. They are so flexible (but short-term memory-retentive) that steam and careful shaping is ineffective and totally irrelevant. So I'm wondering:

Are the very sloppy and casual crown shapes actually a statement by the owners that they have a high-quality hat? Sort of a backwards way of stating "I have a really good hat and don't have to care what people think"?

Just a thought.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran