Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Hat Bashes

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
One strong gust of wind from behind and that hat is gone.

3527618142_b5b77142ca.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
For those who understand the eras that these so called “Bad bashes” came from, we tend to look at it a little different.

In the 20s and early 30s felt hats were so popular that those who wore them wanted to ad their own touch to stand out from the rest. So, they’d shape them in the most unconventional way some times. Such as we’ve seen in some of the photos here so far as the four dent “Campaign” style or just a rumpled mess! We have a very idealistic idea of how a fedora should look or should be shaped and when we see something that goes against it, well, we don’t fully understand it I guess.

Takes a confident caricature to pull it off. In those eras, the hats were worn and not the other way around; I have seen many fedoras and some times the hat looks as if it’s wearing the man. I feel that some times too much thought and care goes into shaping a hat and the wearing there of. I’m more of a grab it and toss it on and go type of guy my self, gives it a more natural look I feel.

I think that's what we're seeing in these ads and photos.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I see what you're saying about 'toss it on and go', but if you apply that to all your clothing, you can end up looking like that's exactly what you did. For some it works, for others it makes them look like slobs. The Chicago mayor, imo, looks like a slob. The guy in the ad looks sharp, and as you say, as if he's trying to exercise his own individuality.

Also, as you implied, today we can stand out just by wearing a fedora, and can be individuals by choosing different hats for different occasions - the bash doesn't have to be that creative to make us look unique. Thanks for putting things in perspective!

Forgotten Man said:
I have seen many fedoras and some times the hat looks as if it’s wearing the man. I feel that some times too much thought and care goes into shaping a hat and the wearing there of. I’m more of a grab it and toss it on and go type of guy my self, gives it a more natural look I feel.

I think that's what we're seeing in these ads and photos.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
I love that crease. We've discussed it before and the consensus seemed to be that there was a bit of artistic licence going on - it's probably nearly impossible to mold and keep a hat like that.
Which is the whole point of the ad. That Knapp felt could do things
we can't do today... and couldn't even be done with most hats then.

Sigh. Anyone have one in 7 1/2 LO?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Bashed Face

This kind of creeps me out. Guessing with the pink ribbon, that it's meant to be someone's baby?

8731341.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Which is the whole point of the ad. That Knapp felt could do things
we can't do today... and couldn't even be done with most hats then.

Sigh. Anyone have one in 7 1/2 LO?

I think that's the point the ad is trying to convey. Quite difficult in this stiff world of ours! ;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
In a similar vein....

royalStetson008.jpg

Found that at the thrift shop. It has now been restored. However, the bash you see there seems to have damaged the felt in the front of the crown, in order to get it to hold a crease I had to stiffen the heck out of it.

More on that eventually in the new hats thread or something. I've been too lazy to take pictures.

Oh, and the ribbon used to be black. It faded to the same color as the hat, which is kind of neat. I preserved an element of that color in the bow when I flipped the ribbon.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:

...I woke up with a nasty headache, the previous night a blur. Slowly reaching over, I found only a wet old hat. Where had she gone? All I remembered was that she wasn't much of a talker...and kind of short with rough skin. But I didn't remember her wearing a hat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran