Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wow! Superman! 1 Million Dollars Comic

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, it's totally believable. In a world where comic book movies make a gazillion dollars every day (and so much of the rest of our culture is derived from comics characters and/or storytelling methods), that first issue of Action Comics is the absolute point of origin. It's a massively significant cultural artifact, like a Gutenberg Bible. I'm sure that many of the super-rich who became that way due to comic books (etc.) wouldn't hesitate to drop a fortune to own one of the very few outstanding-condition copies.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

Agreed. There's nothing I'd want to sell more and keep less.

Yes, imagine a suit worth a million dollars in your size. How would you part with that?

what is the highest price anyone knows of that a vintage suit not owned by a famous person, or owned by a famous person too, does anyone know if.
What might be the one article of clothing that would fetch the most money. Dean's red jacket? John Wayne's hat, Bogey's trench coat or white dinner jacket, Dorothy's shoes?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Does not any of these collectors notice that comic book paper stock has a life somewhat less than a paperback? The one-million-dollar comic is from - what - 1939? Someone will receive an unpleasant surprise. . . . Maybe it's not a surprise. Within a relatively short time this item need be kept in special conditions that will not arrest its inherent deterioration; it will retard it. As I think about it, I see similarity between this collector's item and a bottle of [fill in the blank] wine that will never be opened, and if it were opened an drunk, it would be a horrible experience.

I believe Isaac Asimov's first Black Widowers short story, "The Acquisitive Chuckle," places collecting in its proper place.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Naphtali said:
Does not any of these collectors notice that comic book paper stock has a life somewhat less than a paperback? The one-million-dollar comic is from - what - 1939?

June, 1938 to be precise.

Naphtali said:
Someone will receive an unpleasant surprise. . . . Maybe it's not a surprise. Within a relatively short time this item need be kept in special conditions that will not arrest its inherent deterioration; it will retard it.

Don't worry about that. Most hardcore collectors have specially built rooms in there homes to protect investments such as this from fire, water, mold, etc, etc, etc. I have been in one. It is quite amazing.

Naphtali said:
As I think about it, I see similarity between this collector's item and a bottle of [fill in the blank] wine that will never be opened, and if it were opened an drunk, it would be a horrible experience.

Well, yeah. That is the point. It is a status symbol more than anything.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
No, it's totally believable. In a world where comic book movies make a gazillion dollars every day (and so much of the rest of our culture is derived from comics characters and/or storytelling methods), that first issue of Action Comics is the absolute point of origin. It's a massively significant cultural artifact, like a Gutenberg Bible. I'm sure that many of the super-rich who became that way due to comic books (etc.) wouldn't hesitate to drop a fortune to own one of the very few outstanding-condition copies.

Perfectly said, Doctor.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21