Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkles on leather, not from wearing

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Hello dear loungers.
This is a question that's been on me for a long time. I often see vintage leather jackets really wrinkled for sale. But not due to the wearing of a previous owner, but rather from being stored uncarefully. Just as cotton or linen would wrinkle.

My question is : Is there any way to un-wrinkle leather? -i.e. like ironing as if it were cloth.- (Can this be done?)

Many times I've been near to bid on a jacket but didn't do just because of that (to me) poor look of the garment.

Thank you.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Good question :) I think those wrinkles are as a result of stocking the jackets on piles. I never dared to buy one of these either because I never was sure if there is a fix.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello dear loungers.
This is a question that's been on me for a long time. I often see vintage leather jackets really wrinkled for sale. But not due to the wearing of a previous owner, but rather from being stored uncarefully. Just as cotton or linen would wrinkle.

My question is : Is there any way to un-wrinkle leather? -i.e. like ironing as if it were cloth.- (Can this be done?)

Many times I've been near to bid on a jacket but didn't do just because of that (to me) poor look of the garment.

Thank you.

Some hides can be ironed through a thick layer of paper, e.g. a paperboard, but be careful with the heat!!!

Other possibility: Wet the leather with water (but don't soak it!), shape it or slightly stretch out the wrinkles and let it dry naturally.

Better ask ypor local saddler.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
How about treat the leather with Lexol, neat's foot oil, Oil of Olay or your favorite leather treatment and hang it on a wooden hanger? The wrinkles should come out after a while.

On another site I am on, members are looking for ways to get wrinkles to stay in their jackets' sleeves. I find the differing desires and perspectives interesting.
That's not the same thing - but I assume you're just jokin'... ;)There's a difference between well-earned wrinkles in the right places and random "I got tossed under the bed" wrinkles - the former doubles the price lol

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That's not the same thing - but I assume you're just jokin'... ;)There's a difference between well-earned wrinkles in the right places and random "I got tossed under the bed" wrinkles - the former doubles the price lol[/QUOTE

Totally agree !
Place a modern "distressed" leather jacket next to an aged worn vintage one…
The new jacket will look new in parts & "damaged" in other parts….it's just not the same thing !

too much coffee

Practically Family
That's not the same thing - but I assume you're just jokin'... ;)There's a difference between well-earned wrinkles in the right places and random "I got tossed under the bed" wrinkles - the former doubles the price lol

And the latter doesn't get the bids.

It always amazes me when these guys put their jackets for auction/sale on the 'Bay. A cheaper leather jacket, with wrinkles, poor pics, insufficient pics, narrative was written by their 5 year old and under the shipping information....it reads "sent in a USPS medium size flat rate box." Not too many quality leather jackets will even fit in a large USPS flat rate box. No wonder their jacket doesn't bring top notch bids.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Thank you all for your interesting comments.
I agree on what you say about "honestly earned wrinkles" and those coming either from poor storage or pretended distress of the garment. And may be a little bit more of your knowledge helps me from falling in a bad deal.
What about those old (presumably original) G1 jackets that are often seen on ebay and, precisely, very wrinkled. Do you think they are worth what they ask for them? (100 to 175 USD buy it now, or more if auction) Can those be restored ? Or is just a crappy copy? Is this a natural way of aging for that type of leather?
OK too many questions for a single post...:eek:
Just an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyer-Leath...I&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=167211900409399174

PERSONALLY, I've not tried to rejuvenate an old wrinkled jacket like that, BUT, I can't imagine that it's not possible. I've almost pulled the trigger on a few, but it wasn't the wrinkles that stopped me, but the prices they sold for. In my head I'd have a process I would try and I would think it's doable. But I would not tell anyone to do it without personal experience in doing it myself.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Scott…you joined the forum in Oct 2010…..I did in Dec 2010……..I only have about 69 posts !

How in the heck were you able to post over 3,000 ???? Do you ever sleep ???? Wow !

Cheers !

Scott…you joined the forum in Oct 2010…..I did in Dec 2010……..I only have about 69 posts !How in the heck were you able to post over 3,000 ???? Do you ever sleep ???? Wow !Cheers !
Actually, no. Maybe 4 hours a day. I have a stupid device(s) with me 18 hours a day or more. It's worse than my addiction for wearable hides lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24