Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

DiamondDave

Vendor
Brims, brims, brims...

QUOTE: Except of course for the horrible color of brown used for the brim and strap! Why don't these manufacturers just use the proper russet color to begin with? Anyway, too much work for something that should have be right from the beginning.

So the question becomes, do you want to spend that much time trying to make something better rather than just spending the additional for a quality cap that is correct from the beginning? I shoulda.

Funny that this has come up, I have had a MAJOR hard time getting ahold of the correct color for the leather components. Chocolate is not IT! I finally have found something that is correct, and matches the original Bancrofts that I have sampled. Part of the problem, I am guessing, are changes in the tanning process of leather. Also, with newer technologies opening up the range of color that is possible... People are no longer interested in that "Old fashioned" look (this group being an obvious exception). Especially when they can have silver cowhide!! LOL. Also as to the brims themselves, I see that people are concerned about the shape and styling of the piece as well. During my exhaustive research, I uncovered the actual patent application by Bancroft, for the "Curve Control" brim. It really is a fascinating document, but it does require a lot of work to do it the same way that they did then. I believe that the almighty dollar has kept many of the repro makers from doing this right, as it does take alot of time, and ultimately most of them are about putting out a product with "low cost" and "High Profits" rather than a stitch for stitch example.

DiamondDave

Vendor
Great Greeting

Dixon,
Thank you for the kind words and gracious greeting. I hope to become more than just a vendor and get involved in some great discussions with like-minded people who love all things hats!

DD

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Kilroy, nicely done sir! I guess the effort is worth it as they do look fairly nice afterwards - yours especially! Did you trim the front piece of some height inside? How 'bout the lining? I'm encouraged by your work!

-dixon cannon

Dixon, yes I did trim the front piece (stiffener?) a bit, plus I removed the former and ran a wire around the crown to make it conform to the shape I wanted. Something was needed to give it the right shape. Otherwise, without modification it would have had the shape of an East German Officer's hat. With the former removed, it just would have sagged with the exception of the front. I didn't have that mesh you spoke of in your post, so I left the lining as it was.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Here are a couple I picked up at a thrift store. I was tempted to try wearing one around when I read a post someone posted asking if we thought it could be pulled off as a casual cap.

What do you think.

Also, cna anyone tell me more specifically what I have. Are they officer or civilian or what. One has a chin strap, the other doesn't. Both are wool fabric, what I would call whipcord or regimental cloth. Subtle ribbed with a little stretch to it. One is green and thoe other is more brown, but they are pretty close. Both brims are classic russet, but one is tan underneath and the other is gray. Both have wicker bands, but the outside of one is kind of a ribbed herringbone, and the other is a diagonal weave. One says LT W J Zoerb on the inside written in pen. The other says JMB written in pen on the inside of the leather band. Both came from the store at the same time but I do not know if they belonged to the same person.

Picture256-2.jpg

Picture255-2.jpg

Picture254-1.jpg

Picture253-2.jpg

Picture252-1.jpg

Picture251-1.jpg

Picture250-1.jpg

Picture248-1.jpg

Picture247-1.jpg

Picture246.jpg

Any info would be cool.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Any info would be cool.

I can't really tell from the pics, but do either of the caps have a very flexible single-ply leather visor? Standard issue officer caps had thick, stiff visors and stiffeners in the crown while private purchase 'crusher' caps had thin flexible visors and no stiffener.

It looks as though you have two standard issue WW2-era officer caps (though I cannot definitively tell from these pics). In order for a cap to be a true 'crusher' it must have the thin flexible visor and lack the stiffener.
However, many (especially enlisted men) who could not afford a private purchase 'crusher' would remove the stiffener from the crown to make their own crusher-style cap. Though this makes them look like a 'crusher' they are not true crushers, as they lack the flexible visor.

Hope this helps.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
It looks like you have two standard gabardine officers caps.
It appears that both brims are double layered leather.
Check on the inside of the leather liner to see if there are any identifying marks.
If you're lucky there will be a date stamp.
Nice hats.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Gosh, so much interesting information. I had no idea that the crusher caps were a unique item. I thought they were just well-worn service caps.

On a semi-related note: When I needed a "crusher look" cap for a Halloween costume I threw together in college I just bought a surplus Air Force blue service cap, ripped all the stiffening stuff out of it and sewed down the edges. I'm sure 99% of my fellow students had no idea the Air Force was part of the Army in WWII and didn't wear blue.

I've got two "veteran" caps that look that way from actual wear - my grandfather's and my father's. Too bad my grandfather's WWII cap (which was crushed, if not a crusher) didn't survive his transition to the Air Force. When I've got pics scanned, I'll post 'em.

-Dave

fishmeok

Vendor
I just read through this- we need the pictures back....
Here's one of me in an enlisted "crusher" I made one night when I was bored out of a couple of trashed e.m. visor hats.

In the spirit of the thread, I'd go with a crusher, every time.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN3359.jpg

RudyN

One of the Regulars
Just got my Chocolate crusher a couple of weeks ago. It was made by Dave at Diamond Caps. It is great and you might look at the website for an idea ofwhat he makes.

Pip

A-List Customer
Massive fan of crushers myself, love my original to bits (although it is trashed)!

Also like the garrison, but the crusher just looks that bit classier and it suits my head shape better lol

CIMG3802.jpg

RudyN

One of the Regulars
Forgot to mention that I also have an original garrision cap that is quite nice and fits me just right. I was lucky to find my size on e-bay and it only cost $24.00.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Neither!

Barn_Finds002.jpg

I'm not sure what you'd call mine - a squisher?

For the record, I found my grandmother's WWII scrapbook today. It appears my grandfather was the garrison cap type. I've got an excellent portrait of him in a B-3 jacket and a dark OD garrison cap taken sometime after he made captain, c. 1944. I'm itching to scan it, but didn't have time today.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A crusher after all?

As an update, Maj. Nick Danger opined that this might in fact be a crusher. It's got a flexible bill like a crusher. I'd be interested to know more about it if anyone has knowledge of the Berkshire Deluxe line of officer's hats from the Lee Uniform Cap Mfg. Co. of Baltimore, MD. Apparently they were "Distinctive in Style and Construction."

Barn_Finds004.jpg

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL