Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well, iirc, the K1dockers were made up when someone found a warehouse of the Cramerton cloth. Limited supply.
From the description, this sounds like the same stuff.
I didnt think they were available anymore, but I've recently heard that they are popping up in Europe.

Had a friend who was very happy with both Bills & K1 dockers.
I havent tried either. Usually I look for RalphLauren's RRL khakis. Some were perfect WWII buttonfly copies. I think they were called 'officer pants.'
Heavy cotton & melamine buttons. There was also a lower end RL khaki called the GIpant. Very nice, but a zipperfly.

shamus

Suspended
I seem to remember the K1's were discontinued in 2003 I believe. Aero does have a few, they also have the bills on sale for 30 pounds. small sizes though.

I have the M1 bills and really like them.

simmo

Familiar Face
So has anyone actually bought a pair of these current dockers that aero are selling.Just wondering about fit etc if they aren't K1's ?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
K1-Dockers from Aero...

As stated by the other gents here, Aero have them using the original woven cloth. Plastic buttons down the fly, two patch pockets at the back (one buttoned), coin pocket on the front above the main pockets, and one internal coin pocket inside the right hand side main pocket. Nice cloth, but has been pre-washed and you'll find that they start to look well worn pretty quickly (if you like that in pants. Personally, I don't). The cut is slightly higher that modern (so they don't sit on your waist but can go up abit higher. But not as high as a 30s/40s cut.

Pre-warA2jacket.jpg

Not as baggy as a 30's cut, but bear in mind we are thinking 'military' here, in the dress sense. I have a pair of original PINKS (yes, I know they are different pants/fabric, but it's the cut I'm relating to) and they are not overly baggy/roomy.
At least they don't have any overt labels on the outside of the pants (they are on the inside).
They remind me of the pants that McQueen wore in THE GREAT ESCAPE. Most of you will know how authentic his movie dress code was when looking like a shot down pilot in a POW camp (ie: Boondockers; cut down sweat; drain pipish styled pants, baseball glove!!..etc).

Having said that, I get more GREAT comments about these pants than any others I have and they do look good with an A-2 to be honest (but, the kind folks that comment, are not 30's/40's AAF buffs).

So, the most authentic thing about them? the cloth.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's ART, Fred, but not as we know it..!

Sorry Fred, but Ricky Martin couldn't make it for that photo shoot, so you got me instead, I know...'D' list celebrity and legend in my own lunchtime!! lol. So you don't reckon that Michael Angelo would have been proud of a model like me in K-1's then Fred! Personally, I feel I really should be charging Dockers commission on my retro 40's style modelling for them.

Disclaimer: "Guys, I really hope that my derriere pose doesn't put you off considering a pair of these K-1's! I just don't do these pants justice!! I promise to try and limit the tail-end-charlie pics to two a year...haha.:cheers1: "

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bob...re: Boondockers....

Biltmore Bob said:
I want to get a pair of USMC Boondockers or repros. Where?

Bob, take a quick squint in the Reference Library at the top of the WWII room. If you search in What Price Glory; At the Front (I think, just check) and I'm pretty sure they are lurking in there. Good luck with that my friend, as the Boondockers really do cut the mustard in looks.

Check these out, Bob! Good hunting.

WW2 Impressions

Soldier of Fortune

AT THE FRONT

SM WHOLESALE

Hope that helps!:cheers1:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
back pocketz

PADDY said:
As stated by the other gents here, Aero have them using the original woven cloth. Plastic buttons down the fly, two patch pockets at the back (one buttoned), coin pocket on the front above the main pockets, and one internal coin pocket inside the right hand side main pocket.

2 patch pockets on the back?
I dont see them.
Arent they actually slit, or bound pockets?
-b

airfrogusmc

Suspended
I had a couple pairs of those Dockers K-1s and they are nice indeed. I wore both pairs out. Paddy not a coin pocket but a watch pocket and there sould be a little loop near the waist band for the chain.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Re: back pockets & pocket watches on K-1's

MrBern said:
2 patch pockets on the back?
I dont see them.
Arent they actually slit, or bound pockets?
-b

Hi Bern. My fault with the pics as they don't show the back pockets due to the A-2 jacket. There are two back pockets on the hips. One is an open slit, the other is buttoned (Personally I like the balance of either both with, or without a button to mirror each other).

Oh Allen, thanks for the heads up on the coin pocket at the front. My stupidity has cracked me up over that one! :) I thought the pocket was for coins and the loop was for a key!! What was I thinking?! Now you mention it, of course it's for a watch and chain!:cheers1:

Bern, just found this pic (apologies Fred, it's a rear shot again!), but it shows the pockets at the back (just).

JohnChapmanA2II006.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
A note on the WPG khakis

I turned stupid a couple weeks ago, and forgot to take my WPG khaki pants out of the load before I dropped them in the dryer. Didn't even help that the dryer is alway set to low heat. They were a slim fit before, but now they about cut me in half. I'm seriously thinking Bill's Khakis just to free myself up on maintenance, despite the side seam. Sooner or later I always toss things in the dryer...

The shirt form WPG also shrank some, but is much more substantial, and I absolutely love it. I put an AAF patch on the shoulder, but I'm thinking of removing it just so I can wear it more.

cmac468

New in Town
khakis

Hi Everyone,

I bought a very heavy pair of Brent's khakis probably 10-12 years ago at an Army Surplus store and was trying to find out some information about them and where I might find more. As I recall, the store had quite a stock of the Brent's, but only one pair in my size. Outside of the service, these might be the best pair of khakis I've ever owned. They are considerably heavier than the Cramerton twills that L.L. Bean offers and don't have the patch rear pockets.

Many thanks for any tips.......Poppy

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A-2s with K-1s....

Allen. (to answer your question on the A2) It's my original 1942 Aero with the 'Wee Willie' sqn patch on the front breast (pics were taken for JC's jacket library CD).

The Dockers K-1s work well with this russet A-2 (has had a seal coating spray at some point which is wearing off nicely to leave the burnished russet coming through).

More pics at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/paddy_middleton2002

Prof. Ed

New in Town
K-1's Altered. Now, Color Trouble

Hi all,

I just had my K-1's made larger in the waist and seat. I now have alteration lines and a different color khaki where the pants were let out.
Anyone know how to fix this problem?
I wore them yesterday and had to leave my shirt tail out to cover the alteration job.

Thanks,

Prof. Ed

Baggers

Practically Family
Not much, I'm afraid. Besides the stitch tracks from the old seam, what you're seeing in the shade variation is the original fabric color without wear and sun/washer fade. I've always taken as a general rule that cotton trousers should never be let out, only taken in, as even when new the old line of stitching is very hard to eradicate.

Washing should eventually even out the color variation, and maybe you can carefully shave off the broken bits of yarn where the old stitch holes are, but beyond that I don't know what else you can do.

Sorry...

Salv

One Too Many
Dockers K-1's to be reissued later this year?

According to this report.

With the original DOCKERS?Ç¬Æ K-1 collection, the DOCKERS?Ç¬Æ brand goes back to its heritage. The iconic DOCKERS?Ç¬Æ K-1 pant is re-issued in Spring Summer 2006 with totally new authentic detailing and finishing. Originating from 1932 and cut from the Cramerton?Ç¬Æ cloth, the K-1 remained a popular style throughout the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. In Spring Summer 2006, a complete K-1 collection is available, based on replica garments from the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s.

I couldn't find any more details though, and the Dockers site doesn't mention them. They do currently list a K-1 khaki model but they are low waisted and not particularly wide-legged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy