Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You got promoted and got a big, big raise.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK, your company, firm, office, school, business, whatever. YOU have just been selected and confirmed as the TOP person, in total control of that orgaization. You are in executive control, and make the day to day decisions that will direct the future of not only your organization, but quite frankly the lives and jobs of many, many employees. You have received a big, big, hefty salary on a yearly basis, with a company car, and of course an expense account. You can virtually shop or buy what just a year ago was only a dream!!

NAME TEN GOALS/ OBJECTIVES/ TRIPS/ PURCHASES that YOU are going to make in the next year, obviously things you before today never DREAMED would be possible! All your wishes come true, so to speak. So, what are those ten things?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Well, from my experience the top person in a company often has little time to do anything else besides running the company. Being the president often means you are the first to arrive and the last to leave, and that you give up your vacation if something comes up unexpectedly.

But in terms of personal expenditures I think the first thing I would do is create my dream office to give myself the benefit of a proper work environment. Since I am in law, my dream office would constist of very traditional things such as antique teak desks, lawyer's glass-paned bookshelves, lamps with glass shades and time-worn oriental rugs. If I was spending most of my time at work I would want my workspace to be a reflection of my personal taste.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Pay off bills
Pay off more bills
Oragnize/furnish an apartment
Go shopping
Make a savings account for a European vacation
Tithe/donate money
Take my mom shopping for whatever she wants
Buy my dad a weekend vacation to a hotel with meals paid for.
Start my Costume Museam.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Wonder what I was doing with a 'proper' job again.
Pay the bills, and bring in a new rule that all staff would have to dress like civilised beings while at the office.
Buy a penthouse in central London and a house in Cornwall with enough room out back for a landing strip, fit both houses out in a properly deco fashion, then network them in such a way as to minimise the amount of modern tech on display (while still giving me all of the convenience).
Acquire a wardrobe to make aesthetes weep in joy.
Buy a Yak-3
Buy a PBY-5A Catalina flying boat
Buy a vintage Bentley
Donate a large sum to the Shuttleworth Collection
Spend several months drinking champagne and cocktails in every art deco bar and restaurant in New York, Chicago, LA and Miami.
Resign before I bankrupted the company.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
1) Consult a tax attorney so I know what I have to work with.
2) Upgrade vehicles
3) Set aside money for daughters' college education
4) Pay off various bills
5) Change mortgage to 10-year fixed and knock that puppy down fast.
6) Start endowment for scholarship at Washington State University, my alma mater. Double the size of my dad's scholarship endowment there.
7) Take the family to sunny Mexico for a week before I got too darn busy to do it.
8) Buy one or two more nice bass guitars, and a new amp and speaker combo.
9) Order at least two custom hats.
10) Raise the interior roof in my garage and install a lift so I can park my cherry 1983 280ZX turbo underneath my 1958 Fiat 1200 Transformabile Roadster (high school graduation gift).

11) Consider making (5) and (10) moot by moving within my neighborhood to a house on the lake with at least a 3-car garage. (There's one around the corner for 1.4 million, a nice sum, donchathink?)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ooooo! Hard One!

1. Keep a Hatter and a tailor on retainer to custom-make my wardrobe. (half vintage styles, half eccentric cool stuff I just want).
2. Donate to cancer research.
3. Buy a bigger house and a second car (though not a huge house, and not a foreign car... maybe a caddy or a hot mustang).
4. Buy a boat and learn me the life at sea!
5. Furnish an awesomely cool office.
6. Have a steamy affair with my hot younger or older secretary (which is cool because I'm not married), and call her Moneypenny when I come into the office and toss my fedora onto the hatrack! :cool:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Travel.

To Japan, Tibet, (to look for Shangrila) Roirama in Venezuela, Egypt,......and that's just for starters.
Learn to fly and buy myself a nice P-51 Mustang, or maybe a P-38 Lightning.
Buy a nice little Frank Loyd Wright house.
Become a philanthropist and buy lots of land to turn into parks for all to enjoy.
Buy my mom a condo.
Start a WW2 museum.
Is there a limit to my income??? I could think of more,.....:cheers1:

Mycroft

One Too Many
You should have never asked...

For the Company:
Take a survay of the employees (all of them) and improve their lives at work and home with benifits etc. Also, I would put a lot of money for the company to the side for an emergency fund, and also expand the company.

Personally:

-Consult an Accoutant and figure out taxes etc. etc.
-start an American World War I museum in D.C.
-visit every country in the world
-visit every famous battlefield
-finace an Archlogical Expedition of sorts
-Buy the Ivy resterants in London and NYC
-Give money to many charaties
-Buy Howard Hughes offices in LA and make them mine
-buy a WWII Spitfire, Cruscraft (restored) and all the cars on my list.
-have a private gunsmith, hatter, and taylor (one for my dad too)
-a choffer for my mom
-cool cars for my bros and planes too
-I would start a tradtional men's clothing line with hats too
-amass a huge WWI and gun collection
-buy some of Di Vinci's notebooks
-buy Dalis and Hoppers, and a Frank Llyod Wright House
-get everytype of license out there for transpotation
-and mostly buy the island of Monte Cristo from the French Government
-oh and have a big FL event and fly people to it, I want to meet all you interseting people

...too extravegent?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mycroft said:
-Buy Howard Hughes offices in LA and make them mine

Wish I'd thought of that!

Mycroft said:
-and mostly buy the island of Monte Cristo from the French Government

One! One Monte Cristo! Muahahahaha!

Are Americans allowed to own Monte Cristos? I suppose it's OK if they're not on US soil at the time.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I'd ask my girlfriend to marry me now instead of waiting another year and half to finish college.

I'd build myself a big workshop, with enough room comfortably walk between my tablesaw's, router's, drill presses etc. Also it has to have enough storage for a whole stash of lumber and exotic woods!

If we're talking about dreams, not just financial I'd retire at the ripe old age of 20 and take up being a professional scholar. Just take a class or two a semester for years.

Build myself a library/office/study. Big enough where I need one of those ladders with a rolling attachment!

Constantly be on the go with my private Leer jet or demilitarized F-15 (your choice of plane that day is kind of like your choice of hat, reflects mood).

Learn to actually play golf well enough to hit par.

Sincerely,
Rob

farnham54

A-List Customer
Good Question:

Run the company well, for starters :p--That means increase employee satisfaction as much as possible through the means that Mycroft stated. Emergency fund for the company is a good idea, but it'd be in the form of value investments. Since the 'company' i'm currently working for is a university, my top priority is to ensure that the students are very happy with the university as a whole.

For myself:

I don't want much. Just a boat--30 to 50 foot Ketch. A nice, Formosa 42 will run about 60 grand USD. Add onto that another 20 or so for supplies, and I'd bank weekends, sickdays, and vacations and take ALL that time and just sail 'round the Caribbean.

Cheers
Craig

Steve

Practically Family
  1. I'd stabilize the company.
  2. Tithe.
  3. Pay off any possible loans I have.
  4. Start work on my dream home, a Tudor-style house on a large lot.
  5. By some tailored clothing.
  6. Take a long trip to the Middle East.
  7. Take some time off to write about my experiences.
  8. Build up the home library I've always wanted.
  9. Volunteer for an archaeological dig.
  10. Travel to Southern France to see the Lanquedoc region firsthand.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Andykev said:
NAME TEN GOALS/ OBJECTIVES/ TRIPS/ PURCHASES that YOU are going to make in the next year, obviously things you before today never DREAMED would be possible! All your wishes come true, so to speak. So, what are those ten things?

News Flash! Listen Carefully

After ACCEPTING that fine new corporate job, with the executive office, expense account, company car....huge salary.

YOUR DOCTOR has some BAD NEWS. That checkup you had the week before is complete: YOU HAVE AN INCURABLE DISEASE AND YOU HAVE AT MOST, SIX MONTHS TO LIVE. On your way home from the doctor, you have to tell your WIFE/HUSBAND, and CHILDREN of this horrible DEVELOPMENT. There is absolutely NO CURE.

SO: NAME TEN GOALS/ OBJECTIVES/ TRIPS/ PURCHASES that YOU are going to make now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran