Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

Sunny said:
A new one: Summer is over when the high and low temperatures swing 25-30 degrees a day for days on end. Not that it actually gets cool at night, nor that it doesn't get HOT during the day; but it does make dressing appropriately for the weather complicated. Life is so hard. /whine :p

This is what ahving a companion's for, someone to snuggle in next to when you must step outside...;) First thing they teach you in "cold-weather survival" class is to share warmth.

Trust me, Doran, dry heat isn't as bad as humid heat--you're better off in a desert with a given high temperature than the same temperature in the Deep South or up in the Indiana/Ohio area...

Sunny

One Too Many
carter said:
MY roses are blooming again! :D Summer is slipping away and cooler weather is creeping in. :D Autumn is my favorite season. :D
lol lol lol I'm glad somebody's enjoying it!

Seriously, good point about the roses. Ours never stop, but they do perk up one it's no longer blistering. Ah, Roses in December...

carter

I'll Lock Up
It's a bright SUNNY day!

jamespowers said:
Riiiiiiggggghhhhht and when the leaves start falling off those roses and they look like sticks coming out of the ground then you might not appreciate them so much. ;) :p

Thaaaaaaaats when we do that thing known as pruning. Then they start all over again in the SPRING, my second most favorite season!:D :D

Sunny

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
December!? You should be pruning them then so that they will grow back strong a full of blooms in spring. ;) :p
Exactly! December IS the last month (it DOES get cold here) and they don't bloom again until late May or June. Dad's supposed to prune them in about February, but he usually forgets until they send up long new shoots in April. THEN he hacks it all off. :eusa_doh: But they grow right back and have their regular six months to bloom anyway.

Sunny said:
Exactly! December IS the last month (it DOES get cold here) and they don't bloom again until late May or June. Dad's supposed to prune them in about February, but he usually forgets until they send up long new shoots in April. THEN he hacks it all off. :eusa_doh: But they grow right back and have their regular six months to bloom anyway.

February is ok but if you forget it gets much harder to keep them under control and in bloom in spring. [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
I love the scent in the air just before rain begins to fall.

jamespowers said:
And I suppose your favorite thing is snow. :rolleyes:
Actually, I prefer a nice steady rain. The kind where it makes a soothing sound as you sit with the windows open and read a good book with your dog at your side and Deanna Durbin singing in the background. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Fall in Iowa, in this modern era, is when mother turns off the a/c and turns on the heat, reminding me that we don't always have the nice autumn days I remember in my younger days.

Jacket weather, my favorite, and the fall colors, which do appear here most years, kicking leaves (used to jump in a pile of them), breaking out my good sweaters or corduroy trousers, high school football games.

Fall in San Diego, is, as was pointed out earlier, when the temperature dips into the brisk 60's rather than the 70's, and most of all, I can go to the desert again because it won't be 110 degrees!!!

karol

jamespowers said:
Rain!? Oh geez! Just as bad as snow only more moist. :eusa_doh: :p
I dunno, in some conditions it's not so bad--like in Florida at the hottest, most humid part of the day when the "Critical Core Overtemp"* alarms start going off and I gotta implement emergency measures to prevent myself from cooking from the inside out, like wolfing down a gallon of ice-cream singlehandedly:eek:...
*Remember The China Syndrome? Similar, but without the radioactive crap, just runaway temperature change that the meatware can't endure.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Actually, I prefer a nice steady rain. The kind where it makes a soothing sound as you sit with the windows open and read a good book with your dog at your side and Deanna Durbin singing in the background. :)

I'm with Carter on this one. Plus I get to carry a cool umbrella and wear an actual suit and tie and not die of "heat prostitution."

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
:eek: Never heard of that malady. Then again, in Berkeley anything is possible. :p

I'm sure Oakland has MUCH fewer prostitutes. And MUCH different weather, being all of 1 mile away. :)

Doran said:
I'm sure Oakland has MUCH fewer prostitutes. And MUCH different weather, being all of 1 mile away. :)

I don't know about the first part. They have their fair share of crime of all sorts.
The weather might be a slight bit cooler as it is closer to the coast but not by much.
I would imagine that rain or heat would limit a certain amount of activity by such miscreants though. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace