Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
There is this little shop by my Alma Mater called Vintage Archives and you can buy vintage clothes, accessories, fabrics, and some things for the home for dirt cheap. Its heaven on earth for me. Outside of that I suck it up and drape my own clothes. Since I design for a living now, sometimes my boss will let me have some left over fabric that isn't being used.

Pip

A-List Customer
Ahhh 1st Year University student here in the UK, what you'd call a college freshman I think...

Not sure where my love for vintage (30's and 40's) came from actually, it just naturally developed from a love of 20th century history and watching silly amounts of old films haha.

Whilst my appearance does tend to get a few laughs and the odd jokes from good friends, they are always meant in good spirit and that coupled with a lovely comment from a stranger every so often makes it all worth while :D

But in regards to buying things, I do always tend to buy actual period clothing although it does tend to leave me in a rather poor financial state at times lol

donCarlos

Practically Family
Second semester (so freshman) on Czech Technical University - Faculty of Transportation Sciences.

Me and one friend (studying journalism) agreed that we were born young and immediately after puberty skipped the whole life and became seniors.

What brought me to vintage... Firstly, I spend too much time with my grandparents. Secondly, my feeling of superiority. And maybe the fact that the real world really sucks.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm 21 and a senior at UCLA.

I'm an art major, and this year has been really intense for me in the amount of studios I've been taking, so I've worn absolutely no vintage to school this year. Last year, before I went to study abroad in the Netherlands, I dressed up a lot! I still do my hair and makeup everyday and wear vintage-inspired clothing, so people recognize me as the "rockabilly" or 40's girl at school.

It's a huge campus and there are tons of people, but there are very few people that are "alternative" in any way. So it's fun to be recognizably so, because then you meet the other brave souls who dress in a way that goes against the grain. I feel like I am at the very least acquaintances with the 5 or 6 students/staff that are punk or rockabilly. All of these friendships started out with recognizing each other's style!

Budget-wise, it's been tough. I'm finishing up m senior year and my parents are cutting me off after I graduate, so no real vintage for me. I shop at Forever 21 and the Banana Republic sale racks. That's good enough for me right now.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
College senior. 39 days until graduation. :eek:

Funny, in four years I've earned a BA which will likely be useless in landing me a job :eusa_doh:. I've gone to school in Canada, the US and England, always studying the same thing. I've lived in 2 dorms, and 2 apartments, both vastly different than the other. I've lived in a big city, a small town, attended classes of 500 and classes of 5. I've had pink dreadlocks and multiple facial piercings, all of which have been removed. I've wasted many hours both in The Fedora Lounge and trying to perfect my pin curl technique ;) . Most importantly, in four years I've embraced and further developed my love for all things old. Finally I've found a style that fits. No more pink dreadlocks, no more piercings (maybe). My vintage sensibilities have always been there, developed at a young age by my mother who dragged me from antique shop to antique shop, it just took me awhile to realize how wonderful things of yore actually are.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
It's a huge campus and there are tons of people, but there are very few people that are "alternative" in any way. So it's fun to be recognizably so, because then you meet the other brave souls who dress in a way that goes against the grain. I feel like I am at the very least acquaintances with the 5 or 6 students/staff that are punk or rockabilly. All of these friendships started out with recognizing each other's style!

I transferred from a huge campus with many "alternative people," where I just kind of blended in, to a small conservative school where I stuck out immensely. It is kind of a strange feeling, for me, being so recognizable. My first semester here was bizarre, I was interviewed for the school magazine because of my style and when I started going to the college bars people would come up to me and ask me random drunken questions about my style. I also gained various nicknames, Judy(Garland) and Marilyn, that people still call me. So strange! Unfortunately, my style hasn't gained me many like minded friends. The few other people with a different look, mostly guys who "go against the grain" as you said, seemed to have formed their own exclusive group and really have no interest in adding another member. That is one thing that I regret about my time here, I wish I would have been more out going. I suppose if I had been that group wouldn't seem so exclusive. The friends I have made here just tolerate my style, which is fine, I suppose they remain friends with me because of my personality.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
ClaraB said:
College senior. 39 days until graduation. :eek:

Funny, in four years I've earned a BA which will likely be useless in landing me a job :eusa_doh:.

Have you learned what you want to accomplish in Life?
If you have, then your degree and its effort will be most worthwhile.
Good luck!!!:eusa_clap

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I'm 27 and a late bloomer, so I've just begun acting out my teens. I adore young things, and think the fellas here should post more pics :D

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Thanks Scotrace for merging these threads. I searched for College and High School Loungers, so that's why I didn't find this.

I know the feeling of being the "different one"...whenever I wear a dress or skirt, I get asked if I have to make a presentation or if I am going somewhere special. But I guess that's what happens when the majority of people are stuck in the sweatpants rut at my school. Sometimes I wish I had chosen the school I applied to with 50,000 people instead of mine, with 2,300 people. Maybe I would have been able to find some likeminded friends!

Lau Mo said:
I know the feeling of being the "different one"...whenever I wear a dress or skirt, I get asked if I have to make a presentation or if I am going somewhere special.
Tell 'em you are: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression", and it's all in how you present yourself. I got similar stuff from the pups around my alma mater, a lot of 'em thought I was faculty--and the few that gave me flak got a response of "I am a professional. I conduct myself as such, I present myself as such--including dressing appropriately--and I expect to be treated as such. I have neither the time nor the patience to play games with the likes of you...":eek:

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Lau Mo said:
But I guess that's what happens when the majority of people are stuck in the sweatpants rut at my school.

It isn't a rut here, it is a fashion statement. It is actually rather amusing. What I really can't figure out is the flip flop trend, especially in the snow.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Its a natural thing...

Im under 25 a metal-head (80's thrash/speed) and ive been dressin in suits and hats for years.. I feel that real men should have class and style..

Geesie

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
It isn't a rut here, it is a fashion statement. It is actually rather amusing. What I really can't figure out is the flip flop trend, especially in the snow.

I was thinking about this post today while walking to class. I saw a girl wearing sweatpants which were tucked into those soft-sided boots that are popular these days (and look like children's snow boots to me).

The fashion statement seemed loud and clear: "I HAVE NO AESTHETIC SENSIBILITIES WHATSOEVER".

LynnLaBlanc

New in Town
Wow, I didn't know there were so many "young" people on here.

I am 17 (that sounds so weird to say. I still feel like I'm an awkward 12 year old most of the time).

I have no idea where my love of all things vintage came from. In part, its because my mom used to watch old black and white movies with me while I was a little girl. I guess Ijust learned to associate people in dresses and stockings with fun and happiness.

I finally gave up and started dressing vintage very recently. I always felt very awkward when I tried dressing trendy or modern by today's standards, so even though people stare, I'm just more comfortable in vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot