Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Drinking Partner From The Golden Age?

MrFairchild

New in Town
Hi Gents,

I'm new here : ) If I had to have a drink with someone in the Golden Age, it would be Thomas Mitchell.

jtCxQ.png

I have been very very interested in classic films and during the golden era of hollywood, he was the most prominent, low-profile star. I'd love to have a drink with him and smoke a few cigars - just talking about films, how he writes, acts, and what not.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
for a female drinking partner, my girl friend, Myrna Loy:
myrna-loy-80.jpg

for a drinking buddy, I'm surprised nobody has picked my buddy, Bogart:
bogart.jpg

Blackthorn said:
for a drinking buddy, I'm surprised nobody has picked my buddy, Bogart:
bogart.jpg

I mentioned the original Rat Pack so named by Bogie's wife Lauren Bacall. That included Sinatra when he moved into the Holmby Hills neighborhood in 1949 but it also included Bacall, Judy Garland, Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, David Niven and others. I'll drink with that rat pack any day. ;)

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
For a night of liquor enhanced, amorous enjoyment:
Veronica Lake

For a night of bawdy adventure:
Errol Flynn

For a night of old good fashioned, drunken fun:
Alan Hale Sr.

Giben

New in Town
While I dont drink, I would happily have a NeHi with humphrey Bogart and his drinking friend, a toy panda.lol
Background info I found on wikipedia,

The panda incident
Bogart and his friend Bill Seeman arrived at the El Morocco Club in New York City after midnight in 1950. Bogart and Seeman sent someone to buy two 22-pound stuffed pandas because, in a drunken state, they thought the pandas would be good company.[97] They propped up the bears in separate chairs, and began to drink. Two young women saw the stuffed animals. When one woman picked one up, she quickly ended up on the floor. The other woman tried to do the same and wound up in the same position.[97]
The next morning Bogart was awakened by a city official who served him a summons for assault. Knowing a media frenzy was imminent, he met the media unshaven and in pajamas. He told the press he remembered grabbing the panda and "this screaming, squawking young lady. Nobody got hurt, I didn't sock anybody; if girls were falling on the floor, I guess it was because they couldn't stand up."[98] At the same time Time reported the alleged victim had three marks from the alleged assault and "she explained that they were swelling and contusions."[97] Club spokesperson Leonard MacBain stated, "No blows were exchanged, it was just one of those things."[97]
The following Friday, after the woman admitted to touching the panda, "Magistrate John R. Starkey ruled that Bogart had been defending his property, said he suspected the actor had been mousetrapped in the cause of club publicity, and dismissed the case."[99]

WH1

Practically Family
Not sure if this qualifies as golden era but dammit...my wife and I have been watching episodes of "The French Chef" with Julia Child on the Cooking Channel. It would be amazing to spend a weekend with that glorious woman cooking, drinking wine, and listening to stories about the OSS, post war europe and her amazing life.

Any woman who can laugh at Dan Akroyd's impersonation of her has got to be a grand dame, imho.

Mojito

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
There you go Mojito! :D .... now... where is the Chianti ... :D ;)

92831005_ced9038dd5.jpg
How did I miss this one! I love that photo - it's kind of a 1920s ultimate fantasy. The only thing that could make it better was if he had the pasta in one hand and a bottle of red in the other.

I was always hugely tickled by the fact that he loved licorice as well, and used to chew it between takes and then have to clean the resulting black off his teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran