Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Ghos7a55assin said:
My favorite sandwich right now is a crispy pressed panini with mozzarella cheese, tomato, basil, and a dash of olive oil. It's just simply heavenly.

Mmmm, that one. And Cheddar or swiss cheese with a houmous topping and rocket in wholegrain bread. That'll be the leafy rocket, not the swooooosh, voooom, moonraker type one - that's a tad crunchy and more than a little hot!

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Barbecued baloney with slaw, the slaw and bbq sauce on the plate make a good gravy. You can get this at about 5 barbeque houses in Memphis.
mini_3133.jpg

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Doner

Doner (Turkish) for me. It's similar to LizzieMaine's Shish Taouk or Elaina's Gyro.

The Turks thought I was crazy, I'd order double meat and no vegetables.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Has anyone here ever tried Shish Taouk? It's another treat I discovered in Montreal -- a kind of a Lebanese pita sandwich you can get in any number of little storefront joints. There's usually a big revolving skewer in the window with marinated chicken roasting on it -- and a short order cook with a sword or a long knife shaving very thin slices off it as it turns. This goes into the pita along with with a garlic-mayonnaise sauce, cucumber slices, diced tomatoes, and lettuce. It's the sauce that makes the sandwich -- every shop has its own blend. It's perfect street food, rolled up and served in a foil cone.
Oh, yeah! Good call, Lizzie! I used to work in downtown Dearborn, right across the street from the original La Shish. Man, that place was awesome. My wife still talks about their hummus; she swears they put yogurt into it to make it so creamy and smooth. Their shish tawook is to die for, but so is their falafel, their tabbouli, their shawarma....

One thing that always makes me laugh is when people say "chicken kabobs." Having grown up eating this stuff, I learned early on that shish kabob is "skewered beef," and that skewered chicken is "shish tawook." "chicken kabob" is, therefore, "chicken beef"! lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is honey wheat bread that's been grilled with both cheddar and swiss cheese plus turkey meat. Then slip in some slices of fresh sliced tomatoe with a little pepper on it...and whala!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carebear said:
When we were visiting my sister and brother-in-law in Manhattan this summer we had pastrami's and corned beefs at Carnegie's.

Oh my. :eek:

I'm going back in December to see my new nephew. I'll be going back to Carnegie's for sure.
:eek:fftopic: Kind of
My sister and brother-in-law live in Manhattan too with their son. He's only two but quite the connosoir of food. Yes his favorite sandwich should be PBand J but he prefers smoked turkey on wheat with olive tapenade, and my sister always has a side of some sort of extra stinky cheese for him to nibble on as a snack. I guess that's what happens to toddlers in the city.
Anyway, I'm hoping to visit them in December too, and a trip to the Carnegie is in order. Would be great if we could all meet up. We'll have to create a new sandwhich to post here.

carebear

Daisy Buchanan said:
:eek:fftopic: Kind of
My sister and brother-in-law live in Manhattan too with their son. He's only two but quite the connosoir of food. Yes his favorite sandwich should be PBand J but he prefers smoked turkey on wheat with olive tapenade, and my sister always has a side of some sort of extra stinky cheese for him to nibble on as a snack. I guess that's what happens to toddlers in the city.
Anyway, I'm hoping to visit them in December too, and a trip to the Carnegie is in order. Would be great if we could all meet up. We'll have to create a new sandwhich to post here.

My nephew will be a little young for sandwiches. He's due in December. :)

It would be nice to actually meet some of you.

Daisy Buchanan

carebear said:
My nephew will be a little young for sandwiches. He's due in December. :)

It would be nice to actually meet some of you.
Oh, that is wonderful! A new family member is such a blessing. I just adore Isaac, my nephew. You can't imagine the space that they take up in your heart. Gosh, I don't even want to know what that would feel like if it was my own kid!
Well, you'll be kind of busy, but we should definitely keep in contact. Maybe we will be in the city the same few days, and can meet up at the carnegie. Feraud is always a wonderful person to meet up with, with his wonderful wife MaryEllen and their son, they make quite good company. There's also senator Jack and MrBern. I'm sure they all like sandwhiches!! And of course Feraud, we'll get you some Matzo Ball Soup!! My mom made some for the holidays, just perfect. If soup was easy to travel with I'd bring you some. I'll find a way darn it!!!!
Now that I've had my little rant, back to sandwhiches. How about that peanut butter and banana?? Anyone? Childhood favorite, fluffernutter!!

carebear

mmmmmm fluffernutters were the best.

Although I wasn't allowed to actually make them myself as a child. Something about not enough "fluffer" making it to the bread. [huh]

:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another Fluffernutter kid here, when the budget permitted such luxuries. But my real childhood favorite -- and one which I still enjoy now and then -- is the simple, cheap, nutrition-free mustard sandwich. Made with puffy white balloon bread and plain yellow mustard, I actually got in trouble for bringing it to school for lunch. "THAT'S NO SANDWICH," sneered the teacher. "IS TOO!" I yelled back. And off to the principal's office I went.

carebear

LizzieMaine said:
Another Fluffernutter kid here, when the budget permitted such luxuries. But my real childhood favorite -- and one which I still enjoy now and then -- is the simple, cheap, nutrition-free mustard sandwich. Made with puffy white balloon bread and plain yellow mustard, I actually got in trouble for bringing it to school for lunch. "THAT'S NO SANDWICH," sneered the teacher. "IS TOO!" I yelled back. And off to the principal's office I went.

The teacher was intimidated by your formidible forensic skills... :D

That exchange brought to mind Scout's syrup argument in To Kill a Mockingbird.

deanglen

Ice Cream Sandwich...yes, you guessed it, I put real..

Am I the only one who ever did this? Shave scoops of vanilla ice cream from the container and place them between slices of bread. Heels worked best. Yup..thought I was. I was a disturbed child, wasn't I?

dean

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Gyro

Elaina said:
There is of course one of the forgotten sandwiches here (because no one else likes them) the gyro. Made by the sweetest greek dude this side of Chicago.

Elaina

Yasu Elaina,

Gyyyyyro. But I prefer grilled souflaki on pita bread with mustard,
should a corned beef on rye be temporarily unavailable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21