Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Here's one for ya.... Actually acquired a taste for these from my mother. New York State SHARP Cheddar, the sharper the better, grilled on wheat with slices of dill pickles. BUT they have to be sliced long-ways, slices of spears. I could eat those alllllll day long. Claussen dills are by far one of my favs!!:D

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
The "king" of sandwiches: banana and peanut butter on slices of Wonder bread, fried up in Crisco lard.

Actually Marc... that would be a close second for me, also thanks due to my mom! lol I used to think these were all so wierd- until I tried them!!

It's a Hero in NY

There was this little corner Italian Deli on Dixon Avenue in Copiague a block or two from the North Firehouse that made very tasty Meatball Heros. They were inexpensive and simply delicious.

Pastrami or Corned Beef: Hot on Rye toast is always good.

An L.A. favorite is a version of a hot roast beef called a French Dip, especially if you can put Swiss and a little of the horseradish on it too.

I am a "Chunk Light" fan when it comes to Tuna and love to mix in chopped scallions and lay some marinated artichoke hearts on top.

Hellmans AKA Best Foods is my favorite Mayo and I don't like Miracle Whip as much.

In NY I liked Boars Head Brand best but Karl Ehmer's was pretty darn close for cold cuts.

Also In NYC and LI you can get some superb hard seeded rolls, these are tough to find out in SO Cal.:eek:

Bon Appetit!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Scuffy said:
Here's one for ya.... Actually acquired a taste for these from my mother. New York State SHARP Cheddar, the sharper the better, grilled on wheat with slices of dill pickles. BUT they have to be sliced long-ways, slices of spears. I could eat those alllllll day long. Claussen dills are by far one of my favs!!:D

That sounds like the BEST sandwich EVER!

--Leslie

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Might sound rather boring but a good old bacon sammie made with buttered thick white bread and a drizzle of any kind of brown sauce (HP, Daddy's,steak sauce), brilliant.

I'm also partial to cold roast lamb sandwiches with chutney, and those made with thick slabs of Christmas ham and hot mustard.

Now I'm going to have to make a sandwich, all this talk's made me hungry...

olive bleu

One Too Many
Anyone ever hear{or have} a potato sandwich? I recently read a magazine article written by a woman that grew up during the depression and had to take potato sandwiches to school everyday...she remembered them very fondly and actually craved them..

I am vegetarian and always on the lookout for tasty sandwiches....

I still say nothing beats a perfectly grilled cheese with a steaming bowl of Campbells Tomato soup..especially on a cold rainy day:)

Geez, half these sandwiches sound like rabbit sandwiches. :eusa_doh:
The place I go to makes a mile high pastrami with cheese and special sauce that really works for me. Add some french fries and a large drink and we have a winner.
There is also a local Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich place that isn't stingy with the meat and cheese. If you don't use five napkins it ain't worth eating. :D

Regards,

J

olive bleu

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Geez, half these sandwiches sound like rabbit sandwiches. :eusa_doh:
The place I go to makes a mile high pastrami with cheese and special sauce that really works for me. Add some french fries and a large drink and we have a winner.
There is also a local Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich place that isn't stingy with the meat and cheese. If you don't use five napkins it ain't worth eating. :D

Regards,

J

yeah, yeah i know..:rolleyes:

Ok i will say it here as i am among friends...I have mentioned on a couple occasions now that i no longer eat meat, but there was a time...

about 10 years ago i went, with my husband, to Naugatuck, CT, where he grew up.He took me to one of his fav spots,"Nardelli's".. I orderd a pastrami on rye . We went to the green to sit and eat our lunch and i will NEVER forget the taste of that exquisite morsel.Sitting there in the hot june sun, with a hot sandwich wrapped in foil,juice dripping down my chin( and not giving a damn)...I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat wanting one of those...

olive bleu said:
about 10 years ago i went, with my husband, to Naugatuck, CT, where he grew up.He took me to one of his fav spots,"Nardelli's".. I orderd a pastrami on rye . We went to the green to sit and eat our lunch and i will NEVER forget the taste of that exquisite morsel.Sitting there in the hot june sun, with a hot sandwich wrapped in foil,juice dripping down my chin( and not giving a damn)...I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat wanting one of those...

If you remember a sandwich after ten years then that is a sandwich. :D
Gee, I guess I won't mention when I make salami sandwiches at home that get to be about 6 inches high. :D

Regards,

J

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Not sure if these have been mentioned:

Steak sandwich from the Old Pink, Allen St., Buffalo

Fried Balogna from the Old Pink, Allen St., Buffalo (about as thick as the steak sand.)

Thinny Flynny - (thin ham, thin swiss, bermuda onion, 1000 Island on wafer thin rye, grilled) The Place, Buffalo, NY

Beef on Weck - most places, Buffalo, NY (rare, hot roast beef served on a kaiser roll covered in kosher salt and caraway seeds. Served with horseradish and pickle).

Pork Dip, Phillipe's, Downtown Los Angeles

Italian Hoagie - anywhere South Philly

Midnight sandwich - a Cuban sandwich ingredients served on a sweet roll, Portos Bakery, Burbank

Damn! Now I'm hungry!

indyjim

Familiar Face
Lock, Stock and Barrel's #22, Italian Nightmare, submarine. There is so much meat on this it must be seriously compressed to enable one's lips to wrap around it. Gotta have the hot peppers with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner