Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite silent movies.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

[video=youtube;L7RCRlnsbe0]http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7RCRlnsbe0[/video]

Classic film. One can witness, even in a movie which to modern audiences seems like from eons ago, the charisma that enchanted millions of women. He had magnetic eyes almost like Lugosi did (check out that one wink he gives!). And what a sneer...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I think the one silent horror that surpasses its successors is probably Nosferatu. Dracula wasn't supposed to be the charismatic lady-killer he became when Lugosi took the role. In Nosferatu, a lady is being attacked by a monster and become one. In the later movies, she's being made love to by a gentleman and is rewarded with eternal youth and beauty. Why, I fail to see why they felt the need to kill Lucy at all. If it were me, I'd just have her bite me too and have fun for eternity. Nosferatu was the only Dracula film to make being a vampire something unpleasant. That deserves some merit in my opinion.

I'm not sure about the "have fun for eternity" as a living dead part...but I agree about Nosferatu. Lugosi (and the stage play/movie scripts) brought sexuality to the Dracula role, which unfortunately has now resulted in the extreme-romaticizing seen in Twilight, etc. What is truly romantic about the un-dead living as human corpses, drinking the blood of their victims, turning them into vampires? But I suppose if they are presented as young, good-looking kids whose target audience is primarily teen-age girls, it makes commercial sense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112