Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Once in awhile, I head over to the main branch of our local library and scan through the old college yearbooks (1920's/1930's/1940's; several universities) to see a candid glimpse of how girls wore their hair and dressed. Lady Day, those are just beautiful photos you posted. I wish I could sew! I get so inspired looking at those!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Not sure where to post it...

but I have a question,or two;). During the 40s, were there books on running your own household (ie. for new homemakers), books that told you what should be done and how to do it? I would really like to know, since, hopefully someday I will have my own home and family. I didn't know if such books existed or not. Any thoughts or ideas?
Sarah

LizzieMaine

Bartender
newtovintage said:
but I have a question,or two;). During the 40s, were there books on running your own household (ie. for new homemakers), books that told you what should be done and how to do it? I would really like to know, since, hopefully someday I will have my own home and family. I didn't know if such books existed or not. Any thoughts or ideas?
Sarah

Look for old high school Home Economics textbooks -- they were designed to teach every teenage girl what she needed to know. Up until the last decade or so, home ec was a required class in most high schools, and these books should still be easy to find. The one I used in my own school days, and which I still have a copy of, is called "Experiences In Homemaking," first published in 1941, and reissued in revised editions at least into the sixties. The edition I have dates to 1951, and has everything from how to set a table to how to hem sheets to how to darn a stocking to how to host a party.

Such books are often very cheap at used bookstores, and they're well worth the few dollars they'll cost.

I also second LD's recommendation for Ladies Home Journal. Woman's Home Companion, McCall's and Good Housekeeping are also worthwhile vintage-era publications which contain the sort of information you're looking for.

Idledame

Practically Family
OOH, OOH, OOH! I came across these reproduction patterns and they have the underwear! Plus suits, men's sweaters, dresses, etc.
http://stores.ebay.com/Iva-Rose-Vin...olZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15894564QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm
weldon__s__217_cvr_1155599886.jpg

miss_elise

Practically Family
newtovintage said:
Sarah
The America's Housekeeping Book circa 1941. also reprinted 1945.
5da5_1.jpg

I bought mine off ebay for about $13

Inky

One Too Many

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link, as soon as I finish my "3-hour-really-20-hour-sweater" I will try my hand at a nice camisole those patterns are great!

Inky

One Too Many
LD - thank you again for taking the time to scan those images!! wow, what a fashion reference those images are. I especially love the "full-figured" models and dress styles.

This is now officially my favorite thread on FL!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Thank you all ladies for the ideas. I was able to find several books on home economics from my library's interlibrary loan that were published in the 40s. Can't wait till they come. Lady Day, thank you for taking the time to scan those pictures, they are lovely.
Sarah

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LD, these pictures are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for scanning them in. I know it takes time, but it is greatly appreciated!

justaktty

New in Town
I just found this thread. What a treasure it is! Thank you all for posting this fabulous information.

Now I just wish I could knit!

Justaktty

Inky

One Too Many
What is the right "shape" for an early 1940's bosom?

I love the 50's cone shaped bra's, but I really don't wear those kinds of clothes and right now wear a modern under wire smooth bra that gives me a natural looking round bosom, and I am only assuming that "natural" was pretty much the way they were shaped in the early 40's era.

Maybe we can persuade Lady Day to post more pictures of her 1940/41 Sears catalog. I am particularly interested in the bras and underwear.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
What is the right "shape" for an early 1940's bosom?

Maybe we can persuade Lady Day to post more pictures of her 1940/41 Sears catalog. I am particularly interested in the bras and underwear.

I have Everyday Fashions As Seen in Sears and most of those bras remind of the shape of Playtex 18hr bras, slightly pointier than a molded, seamless bra, but no where near bullet bra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925