Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Wardrobe: The Basics

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
all the Swirl collectors are going to hate me and all the dealers will love me. lol ;)
I have about 8 Swirl dresses. Make sure about the measurements. I have one that would look fab on Fleur as she is tall. I am about 5.1 3/4.

Ah, you're a tease madam! :D Oh I love Swirls!

I'm probably not classified as a collector, yet, but I have two genuine Swirls and one that's Swirl-esque in every way except it's handmade! My second Swirl was deadstock, even had a little paper production ticket in the pocket. It fits me like it was made for me, torso length and everything.

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Oh dear. I just found a Swirl dress on eBay with my exact measurements. I can see how they could become addicting.

This thread has been very helpful! A question about shoes...

The Loafers that would have been worn -- would those be similar to the loafers worn today with khakis/trousers? Leather with a low heel? I'm thinking about what we called penny loafers in the eighties except the pairs I see today don't have the slot for the penny.

And I've seen Keds mentioned in a couple of threads. Would these be the basic, white tennis shoe? Or were they different "back then"?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Penny loafers, exactly. The original "Bass Weejuns" are a good example of the style. For Keds, look for the style called "Champion," which is still pretty much the same today as it was then. They came in various colors, with white and blue the most popular.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I would say that if you are cold in what you wear, that maybe a good coat is something that should be added to the list. I own numerous coats (it is like an obsession - too bad I like coats so much I rarely have anything nifty to wear under them...) and I find that when I dress in skirts and stockings if I wear my long wool coat with scarf, hat, gloves - I am really quite comfortable no matter the weather. And I used to work in the downtown area of Colorado Springs where snow, wind and dipping temperatures are rather frequent in the winter. So I guess my addition to the list would be appropriate outerwear!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have a question - a little off topic - but it is just little and should be quickly answered. How do the Swirl dresses close in back (aside, of course, from the waist tie?)

Inky

One Too Many
Bass Weejuns

I bought a pair of burgundy leather Bass Weejuns at my local Bass outlet store this summer for a song (less than $20 if I recall) I wore those all through elementary school (catholic) in the 1960/early 1970's and loved them then and love them now.

I found a 1940 penny for one shoe and a 1972 penny for the other (husband's birth year). If I can find a 1960 penny someday I'll replace the 40's one for my birthday year, lol.

They are so comfy and are my "go-to" casual shoe now. They look terrific with this winter's wool skirts and trousers.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
this thread is quite helpful for a starter!! also, did anyone answer the question about mary janes? I'd love to know when they're peak was! (if anyone's looking for a pair I believe GoJane.com has them)

kyda

One of the Regulars
Ok Ladies, this is my first time posting so please be gentle with me. I am having a great deal of trouble getting a girdle in Australia and my suspender belt is just not holding my stockings do you have any suggestions on that part. The second part to this question is I am short so all of the Fifties dresses with petticoat's look really bad on me is there a way that I can wear the fifties style
without the petticoat or would I be better off with the 40's look where the dress's did not have petticoat's???

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
kyda said:
Ok Ladies, this is my first time posting so please be gentle with me. I am having a great deal of trouble getting a girdle in Australia and my suspender belt is just not holding my stockings do you have any suggestions on that part. The second part to this question is I am short so all of the Fifties dresses with petticoat's look really bad on me is there a way that I can wear the fifties style
without the petticoat or would I be better off with the 40's look where the dress's did not have petticoat's???

In my experience, most of the 50s daydresses weren't worn with huge petticoats. If you look at the Sears catalog books, many are not shown with petticoats. I have a huge collection of 50s sewing patterns. About half of the pattern illustrations do not show a huge petticoat and once made up, many of those that are illustrated with a petti can't actually accomodate one. I'm quite short, also and I find that it really depends on the cut of the dress if I can wear a petti. A princess seam or high waisted dress looks great with a petti, but a dress that has a waist seam looks awful with a petti.

Inky

One Too Many
Ditto what kamikat said. I'm 5'4" and look silly with too much in the way of petticoats (though I admit i loved wearing several back in the early 80's. yikes!).

I have one not-so-foofy soft chiffon petti that is perfect for my circle skirt and the Trixie2 dress. It gives some oomph, is fun to wear but not scratchy or too big. I bought it at Petticoat Junction.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Ditto what kamikat said. I'm 5'4" and look silly with too much in the way of petticoats (though I admit i loved wearing several back in the early 80's. yikes!).

[/URL].

:eek:fftopic: i did that too!! looked like the old ballroom dancers in the 1970s sometimes!!shhhhhhhh

nico demouse

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Cotton housedresses are a must -- gingham checks, small polka dots, small floral prints, anything like that, in simple button-front styles. This was the standard uniform for working around the house thru the fifties, and when dirty you'd just toss them in with the washing.

Middle-class women would *not* wear housedresses into town -- they were only for household chores.

Another "basics" question: Would a modern "shirtdress" be similar enough to pass, if the length was okay?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It depends on the cut -- a lot of modern shirtdresses tend to be very loose-fitting. An authentic '50s cut would have a rather closely-fitted bodice with either short or cap sleeves, and if they were short sleeves they'd most likely end at the bicep, not the elbow. The armholes would also be cut high.

The skirt would likely be fuller than with a '40s-era dress, but not too billowy -- housedresses were made for working in, not for promenading in.

I've always felt the best place to see authentic early-50s housedress styling is in reruns of "The Honeymooners." Alice Kramden is usually shown wearing this type of dress, as seen here --

to%20the%20moon%20alice.JPG

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Items to Add...

Yes, to my list, I'd definitely add a coat and a girdle with metal garters! A nice heavy lined coat, 3/4 or full length. Bracelet length sleeves were popular, and work great if you have some longer gloves.

Oh yes, and gloves. I like my winter gloves to be leather and lined with cashmere or something soft. Usually you can get them at Marshall's for a reasonable price.

nico demouse

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine, thank you. That is helpful. It reinforces what I thought my eye was telling me. As a newbie, I have picked up a couple things in regular stores (Target, OLD Navy) that I thought would pass and then have gotten home and wondered if my eye was deceiving me.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have seen some really nice shirtwaist dresses at Target and some less than great ones too. So it really depends on which ones you pick-up. (Unfortunately, I usually miss out on the good ones because I am sooooo cheap that by the time they are on "enough sale" there are only gigantic sizes or pixie sizes to be had!!!)

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Mrs. Merl said:
I have seen some really nice shirtwaist dresses at Target and some less than great ones too. So it really depends on which ones you pick-up. (Unfortunately, I usually miss out on the good ones because I am sooooo cheap that by the time they are on "enough sale" there are only gigantic sizes or pixie sizes to be had!!!)

I just picked up two from Target recently that were on clearance that I think are close. One was red (I'm a sucker for anything red) and the other was brown with white polka dots. They hit just below the knee on me (I'm 5' 4") and are trim through the arms although the sleeves are long with those little button/strap things so you can wear the sleeve long or short. At under $15 each, I think they will do for me as I keep my eyes out for more authentic pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass