Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Wardrobe: The Basics

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I wish I had seen (edited for poor English) the red one - I too am a sucker for anything red. I did see the brown one an thought heavily about picking it up. I didn't think I would like the lack of fabric in the skirt. I do feel that many dresses even when put up against utility fashions of the forties are still way too stingy in the skirt. But then I thought about it and wished I had picked it up. I got to thinking that the sleeves with the button "apparatus" could easily be cut and hemmed - and even the skirt could probably have had gussets added if I decided I really did dislike it.

PS

A-List Customer
Real Swirl

021c_1.JPG

Since the start of this thread I've acquired two Swirl-a likes and now finally a Swirl. I was a little saddened when it arrived because it's very short on me and smelled very dusty/smokey. It spent two days in the laundry and it is hanging to dry as I type. I used the link provided earlier to research my new dress and was confused because it has huge patch pockets like 50's Swirl dresses but is shorter like the 60's version. I am very pleased to find it was hemmed and it won't take much to undo, just a whip through with the seam ripper as the original hem is still in tact.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
winter wear?

So.. I have seen in some places, dresses made out of thicker material and quilted?

Is that like a bed-coat [huh] or something?
Or did they wear quilted dresses in the winter?

nico demouse

Familiar Face
I've been slowly trying to build up my collection of 50s basics. I finally have a 49er jacket after quite a while of looking for one in a good color, my size, and a price I was willing to pay. Now a question about them....

Are the 49er jackets supposed to fit like a trim blazer or like an oversized shirt? Mine feels a little more tailored than I expected it to.

Also, what do you wear with it? Seeing as I don't have the matching skirt or trousers I've seen in old adds....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have several of these jackets, and the tailoring does vary. The classic Pendleton 49'er is cut very boxy, almost like a men's "Hollywood" jacket, but the other styles this jacket descended from, dating to the mid-forties, often were a bit more tailored -- not extremely so, but a trimmer fit than became fashionable by the turn of the decade.

I wear these jackets all the time in the spring, summer, and fall, as toppers for cotton day dresses. My favorite one is a neutral grey flannel that goes with just about anything.

carter

I'll Lock Up
A brief interruption

Ladies, I love this dress! 1957
3221126550_f04a4782ae.jpg

moda - 1957 - di grès - mussolina bianca a dischi neri - mantello seta bianca. Whatever that means. [huh]

Emer

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Ladies, I love this dress! 1957
3221126550_f04a4782ae.jpg

moda - 1957 - di grès - mussolina bianca a dischi neri - mantello seta bianca. Whatever that means. [huh]

That dress is heavenly! It's a crime that vintage retailers had to convert to modern styles or be shut down.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I wonder if I can wear the same - unlined - pencil skirt in every season if I wear different slips(satin/cotton/wool?) under it...?I am asking because the skirts TopRunway sales are unlined. Do you think it's worth having pencil skirts out of different fabrics? I don't really have the money to get 2-3 pencil skirts for each season...

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goldfish said:
I wonder if I can wear the same - unlined - pencil skirt in every season if I wear different slips(satin/cotton/wool?) under it...?I am asking because the skirts TopRunway sales are unlined. Do you think it's worth having pencil skirts out of different fabrics? I don't really have the money to get 2-3 pencil skirts for each season...

I think a better option would be to get some actual vintage skirts on ebay. How much are the Top Runway ones?

Goldfish

A-List Customer
A made to measurments one from TopRunway costs 33 $. I do have a vintage shaped body, but I am not good at buying online, I don't know where to look for the great quality ones on ebay and how to make sure it fits my measurments/which skirts can be bought and taken to a seamstress later.[huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Goldfish said:
A made to measurments one from TopRunway costs 33 $. I do have a vintage shaped body, but I am not good at buying online, I don't know where to look for the great quality ones on ebay and how to make sure it fits my measurments/which skirts can be bought and taken to a seamstress later.[huh]

$33 is a good price for a skirt, vintage or modern. If you can't afford a bunch of skirts at one time, just spread it out. Buy them one at a time, with a few weeks in between. There are also quite a few ready-made skirts out there that are nice, but a bit more. My favorite is the Heartbreaker skirt at mybabyjo.com and runs $45. http://modemerr.com/PerfectSkirt.html makes a lovely skirt and is $62.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I don't understand why it would be a problem to wear different slips. I understand being unable to afford a great deal. I really prefer to make my clothes as versatile as possible rather than buying a store worth of clothing. Especially if you work, say, an office job year round. Then I think that you can stretch your suit wearing a little by changing things like slips and blouse styles.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs. Merl said:
I don't understand why it would be a problem to wear different slips. I understand being unable to afford a great deal. I really prefer to make my clothes as versatile as possible rather than buying a store worth of clothing. Especially if you work, say, an office job year round. Then I think that you can stretch your suit wearing a little by changing things like slips and blouse styles.

Oh it's definitely not a problem to wear different slips! :) I just thought Top Runway's skirts would be more expensive...the shipping is really deadly sometimes. Especially when you can get vintage skirts for around $20 on ebay.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Oh, well - I really agree with you as well Miss Bella Hell. I actually get a lot of skirts at Goodwill - they usually are just vintage looking, but I think one can also easily amass a large skirt collection at very little cost. I just have literally had no budget for anything no matter how inexpensive for a long while now - so I have been exploring the different ways to adapt things I already own to a wider range of uses. And I just was pointing out that the idea of using different slips is definitely an option, especially if you choose a great versatile skirt to begin with.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have a black repro one from Vivien of Holloway that has been a real wardrobe staple the last couple of years - that was unlined and I could wear it any season really as it was mid-weight fabric. I've now expanded around the middle and hips and can't fit into it anymore and it's a long quest to find a new one that fits as well! I got a great black wool suit last weekend that had an almost-pencil skirt with it and it's wool AND lined, so perfect for winter. I'm not a fan of the modern stretch ones so I really have to find a vintage one that is perfectly tailored or make one myself! I'm now between sizes in most modern clothes too which is WELL annoying!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
I don't think it was the blackness that was an issue but whether or not it would be warm enough year round.

That all depends on where you live. Here, in DC, we get below freezing temps in the winter and above 90F, frequently above 100F in the summer. Any skirt that's warm enough for the winter would be too warm in the summer and vice versa. No slip, except a super thick flannel one that would make your butt look huge, would make a hankyweight linen skirt warm enough for winter. If you live in a more moderate climate, you could get away with wearing the same one year round. Personally, even without the weather issues, I can't get away with just a couple skirts. I'm a stay-at-home mom with messy kids and messy dogs. I'm lucky if I can wear a skirt twice before having to wash it.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Living in London the weather isn't quite as extreme as that but I know what you're saying Kami! And the kids part - I can only imagine! That must be tough on your vintage wonders. Lucky you are such a great seamstress then :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
kamikat said:
That all depends on where you live. Here, in DC, we get below freezing temps in the winter and above 90F, frequently above 100F in the summer. Any skirt that's warm enough for the winter would be too warm in the summer and vice versa. No slip, except a super thick flannel one that would make your butt look huge, would make a hankyweight linen skirt warm enough for winter. If you live in a more moderate climate, you could get away with wearing the same one year round. Personally, even without the weather issues, I can't get away with just a couple skirts. I'm a stay-at-home mom with messy kids and messy dogs. I'm lucky if I can wear a skirt twice before having to wash it.

It's the same here so for now I'm happy with the good quality retro and vintage wool skirts I have for winter use. I have four circle skirts (2 retro not wool, 2 retro wool), two wool pencil skirts, one bell shaped retro wool, and an odd A line wool skirt I like to use to create more of a 1920s look with longer tops over it because it's unflattering with a top tucked in. I bought a bunch of quality, timeless, knits at the beginning of Fall.

With three boys and little money, I'll probably settle for capris in the summer instead of skirts, because I'd hate to ruin a nice vintage dress or skirt. I have two nice 20s-30s retro dresses for evenings out on town but those occassions are so far between...

Better vintage clothes for Spring/Summer will have to wait until the boys are older or have left the nest.:(

I'm relying on retro/vintage home-made summer knits, 40s-50s costume accessories, and retro shoes to create the 50s look when the weather gets warmer. I actually find it easier to dress 1950s in the winter.

Coat wise, I'm better set for summer with a timeless summer coat but I'm stuck with my old down jacket this winter. I had a nice wool coat with heering bone pattern but it was 4 sizes too large after I lost weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner