Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Wardrobe: The Basics

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
carter said:
Ladies, I love this dress! 1957
3221126550_f04a4782ae.jpg

moda - 1957 - di grès - mussolina bianca a dischi neri - mantello seta bianca. Whatever that means. [huh]

Oh my! I LOVE that! I think I might have to start making some of my own clothes... because these are GORGEOUS! and I'm too poor to buy anything actually vintage right now. lol :(

Goldfish

A-List Customer
For me it's that I would like to have few, but really good quality clothes (-> spending 200 $ on the PERFECT skirt = awesome, spending 50 $ on four only - OK skirts = not worth it in my opinion, and I can't afford like 4 PERFECT skirts for each season ). First reason is that I am traveling a lot, so versatile clothes are needed that keep my wardrobe small. Second is, I have accuired so many cheap, poorly made clothes in the past, which frustated me a lot, poor fit, fell apart quickly and all that. I want a wardrobe that I can rely on to focus on the important things in live. I put so much work into getting knowledge about quality and good fit, but I still feel like I know nothing about it, even less about vintage clothing....plus it's almost impossible to buy vintage clothes (that aren't 70s/80s) in my area.... a skirt for all seasons & different slips might be the most practical solution, but I guess a few skirts in different fabrics would l o o k better [huh].

So if I want to buy a pencil skirt that goes from mid - waist to just below the knees, what are the focal points to keep in mind? Like, how do I measure myself to get the right length for it to not move around when walking? How will the fabric of a slip change the overall look and performance(?) when worn under a skirt?

Rachael

A-List Customer
I'm attending (or rather, organizing) a dinner meeting at a 50's theme diner next month, and trying to decide what to wear. because I'm likely to be eating something greasy I hesitate to wear one of my vintage pieces, so will most likely make something.

I have this pattern: http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3673
and am debating which view to make. I am leaning toward making the fuller skirt out of a black and white all-over graphic linen that I've been eyeing for a while; it's a white background with black sketches of Paris. Or I could make the straight skirt view with a woven stripe brown on brown. I'm not wanting to wear it as a jumper, but a dress with cardigan or bolero jacket.

Any thoughts?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have made both views of that dress. It's quite lovely. However, since you plan on not wearing it as a jumper, there are a few things to be aware of. The neckline is a very wide boatneck and will show your bras straps. The armholes are quite deep and will show your bra there. This is not unusual for a jumper made to be worn with a blouse underneath, but not quite what you want in a sleeveless dress. It would be easy to alter the neckline and the armhole so that it could be worn as a sleeveless dress, though. You just need to be aware of it before you cut your fashion fabric.

Rachael

A-List Customer
thank you for the tips on this pattern! I was planning to alter the armholes, and thinking about adding a capsleeve there. But the neckline would have definately been a problem; I like a boat neck but not when it creates an undergarment selection issue.

It's not that I really am looking for a sleeveless dress, it's just that I don't typically look good in jumpers. Also, the idea of having it play dual duty as either a jumper or a sundress appeals to me. So maybe just snug up the neckine and nevermind on the sleeves.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I haven't made it since last year, but I remember thinking that the neck didn't need much, maybe coming in an inch toward the throat, if that makes sense. It shouldn't change the look too much.

Rachael

A-List Customer
that makes perfect sense. I've changed my idea for fabrics, and am using the graphic print linen for an 8 gore skirt instead; thinking that the stiffness of the linen plus all those seams will allow me to wear the skirt without a crinoline sometimes.

I found a great sunshine/mustard yellow pique for the jumper instead. Maybe I just really want spring to come, but I love the color.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Apron dresses or whatever they're called! I naively thought I'd find some at regular thrift shops. I guess I'm a few decades late in looking for this style of "dress". Some I think I've seen look just like a dress and others are clearly worn over the regular clothes. I'd like the kind that's not exactly a shirt dress but at least appears as if it can be worn by itself...I might just do that regardless.:D

Lillemor

One Too Many
This is actually a 50s style question. I mentioned in earlier posts that I raided my MILs closet.;) One set is a knit skirt set with top and two slip overs. My MIL says to wear it with a belt. It's not loose enough to wear in a 20s context. My belts are all slim and a none existing "extra" tummy bulge is created below the belt line. Would wider belts have be worn with this style?

I'm petite like my MIL and slimmer now than she is but she has a finer built so she would've appeared slimmer than me in her youth and could've got away with bulky styles. They're usually good for her in moderation and so are shoulder pads which are a no-no with me because my shoulders are relatively wide. Added bulk just creates well...added bulk on me.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
This is actually a 50s style question. I mentioned in earlier posts that I raided my MILs closet.;) One set is a knit skirt set with top and two slip overs. My MIL says to wear it with a belt. It's not loose enough to wear in a 20s context. My belts are all slim and a none existing "extra" tummy bulge is created below the belt line. Would wider belts have be worn with this style?

I'm petite like my MIL and slimmer now than she is but she has a finer built so she would've appeared slimmer than me in her youth and could've got away with bulky styles. They're usually good for her in moderation and so are shoulder pads which are a no-no with me because my shoulders are relatively wide. Added bulk just creates well...added bulk on me.

Have you tried it on with a firm girdle? That might control the bulging.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Erh...some other time...:eek: lol I feared someone was going to say that. Hub's not home and I'm no good with self portraits. Actually, hub isn't that good at portraits either.:rolleyes:

Ah, I think I get what you were trying to say kamikat. I new more posture conscious me makes it look better.:) However, being this posture conscious all day could become a bit testing so I can see how I may have no option but to place a girdle very high on my to-get list.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
Ah, I think I get what you were trying to say kamikat. I new more posture conscious me makes it look better.:) However, being this posture conscious all day could become a bit testing so I can see how I may have no option but to place a girdle very high on my to-get list.

A girdle means you don't have to be posture conscious all day. It controls the bulges when you're bending over, sitting, whatever we do that puts us in unflattering positions.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I can't believe how simple the sollution is! Today I folded a large square scarf and tied it around my waist like a belt. I can adjust the width and there are no funny bulges in the fabric regardless of my posture. I read some where that scarves were not only used around the hair and neck but also as belts in the 1950s so this can't be entirely incorrect, can it? Well, it works for me.:)

Rachael

A-List Customer
stockings/hosiery

I am attending a 50's event at a local diner tomorrow night, and just thought about my legs. I'll be wearing my new gored skirt, probably with a boat neck black top and cardigan. I have some very cute little ballerina flats in patent but am not sure which hose to wear.

Do I go with sheer cuban heels? or would black crochet tights work better? When did seams go out and what sort of tights were worn? While today is the first day of spring, it's supposed to be cold and rainy this weekend so I don't want to go without something covering my legs. Also, this is a fairly casual event since it's at a diner not a fancy joint.

PS

A-List Customer
Shoes with my Swirls..........

The last time I broke out one of my Swirls was November on a very sunny brisk day. I wore just a pair of plain black flats. But they didn't really "go" because the dress was mostly white with tiny pastel flowers. I am usually barefoot at home but have been thinking to wear my dresses out I will need a similarly casual shoe. All I can come up with a plain Keds sneaker? Do you think that would work? I am looking for some low-ish solid colored espadrilles but think mostly the Keds are what I am looking for.

PS

A-List Customer
Shoes with my Swirls..........

The last time I broke out one of my Swirls was November on a very sunny brisk day. I wore just a pair of plain black flats. But they didn't really "go" because the dress was mostly white with tiny pastel flowers. I am usually barefoot at home but have been thinking to wear my dresses out I will need a similarly casual shoe. All I can come up with a plain Keds sneaker? Do you think that would work? I am looking for some low-ish solid colored espadrilles but think mostly the Keds are what I am looking for.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I'm new here and hardly an expert but I would definately recommend investing in a a selection of pinnys and headscarves.

I wear my vintage clothes everyday and both pinnys and headscarves are a godsend. The housework, looking after my father and eight rampaging kids would destroy my outfit within seconds but the pinny (which are at least knee-length) stops cooking spills, sticky fingers and smooshed food damaging my beloved vintage clothes whilst the headscarf protects my set especially since the youngest two are going through a hair-pulling stage.

I just have to remember to take them off before I go out!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
What sort of shoes did women wear in winter with trousers in the 50s? I like the narrow-cut, side or back zipped trousers, but in my head I can only see them with little ballet shoes. Were there chunkier options for cold weather, or were women just tough enough to ignore the cold? I spent most of last winter in skirts with long boots, but I'd like other options this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner