Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Wardrobe: The Basics

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I am having that very same dilemma myself actually, i do wear saddle shoes or ballet pumps but wondered what other options there were for Winter other than heels.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Loafers are good for winter as long as the snow isn't deeper than ankle high. Although, once the snow is ankle deep, I tend to forgo the vintage look and go straight for jeans, long underwear and fleece.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Oxfords and other sturdy lace-ups, like Brogues, were still worn in the 50s. I've been trying to track down some winter boots with a low wedge heel like my granny wore for a couple of years now. I also second the loafers suggestion.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've got some loafers with a thick crepe-like sole and I wear those in the winter sometimes. I think they are probably a little chunkier than what would actually have been worn but they are close enough.

It is possible to get vintage overshoes - especially on Etsy. There is a thread about them elsewhere, including LizzieMaine's invaluable advice on what makes a vintage pair of galoshes or overshoes usable or not.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21500

Oh and this one too:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33745

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I read the information about overshoes and galoshes and I just can't see myself wearing them. Those little wedge boots that you are looking at, MissHannah, may be just the thing (if they come in black).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'll second that too, the wedge boots sound great or loafers, thanks for the advice, i have been doing some serious headscratching about the winter shoe thing, thanks ever so much! x

MissHannah

One Too Many
Last night I remembered that I have a PDF of a 1959 Littlewoods catalogue so I had a look at the shoes pages for winter footwear inspiration. I don't have it with me at work but i will post it later tonight - lots of fur-lined booties!

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
apologies if this has already been covered but i havea question about shoes as well.

i favour the pencil skirt look while at work, and fuller skirts when at home, and have some lovely shoes to go with both. i tend to wear heels but i walk to work so i walk in flats then change. this i am not bothered about, i need to be practical after all!

what sort of flat or low-heeled shoes would you recommend? or am i searching for the holy grail? :D i did see some shoes from amerimark (i think) mentioned in another thread but they are not available in the UK and i really don't want to pay twice in shipping what one pair of shoes is worth, especially when i am not sure about the fit.

Marzena

One of the Regulars
I have just examined this thread for the first time and it took my breath away. With admiration and with gratitude for the loving care with which all this information was made available.
Incidentally, in my country where clothes had a much looooonger lifespan many of those 1950s styles were still around when I was growing up in 1970s. Some actually were American - they were making it to Poland in parcels sent by relatives at closet cleaning times, and then serving extra time handed down over and over, re-worked and re-fashioned to somehow cope with changing fashions. I have even realised that I myself must have been an owner of a 40s -50s? suit made of vine coloured light gabardine with a pencil skirt and above the waist cropped jacket with slightly padded shoulders. Hated it to bits! could not wait just when I might finally be allowed to part with it. WHAT would I not give today to still have it! (if it is any consolation though, I most certainly could not fit into it).
Thank you for the trip down memory lane, ladies. I am very new to this but I love what you have achieved on this site.

helsabot

New in Town
First post

Hello ladies! I'm completely new to the forum and have been wearing vintage almost daily for about two years now. Because I ride my bike as my main transportation, my wardrobe tends toward the 50s, since I'm more comfortable putting those clothes at risk and there are more of them to be found. In a perfect world I would be all pre-war and wartime 40s all the time. I live in San Francisco, where the main weather issues are wind and rain. If anyone wants to talk about bikes (which ladies have been riding to great success since the late 1800s), I'm your girl!

Since my bike dictates what I can wear, I don't dress exactly how I'd like, but I've found pleated wool skirts to be tremendously helpful. Although they can have a more youthful "college girl" association, they are nigh indestructible and give an instant vintage look that can be matured easily with the right accessories. They allow enough movement for pedaling without the length or billowy fabric that is at risk for getting stuck in chains and spokes.

Here's a photo of me on a Tweed Ride in one of my 50s dresses:

227123_1788485666089_1057980061_31579689_1241647_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner