Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2, G1 terminology?

lkalliance

New in Town
Anyone have any insight into the "antiquing" process? When I look closer at the US Wings photos, the "Antique" goatskin A-2 looks considerably different (better, in my view) than the A-2 2000, but as I examine closer it may just be that it's a higher-contrast photo, and that the only wear visible around it at the seams. It's not as worn-looking as their cowhide.

lkalliance

New in Town
I you sure you don't think the predistressed hides look a little hokey? I personally would avoid that look.

I'm not sure on that. A little Hollywood, perhaps? I like the "worn" look, but my own lifestyle isn't such that it would likely ever look that way on its own any time soon. But I've ordered it, I'll see it in person. Pondering the psychology: if I order the (more expensive) distressed one and I love it, then great. If I don't think it's a huge deal, I return it for the undistressed one, get about $70 back on the exchange. EDITED TO ADD: And that makes me a savvy shopper! ;)

FURTHER EDIT: But to take your point more directly, I'm not sure. This is my first such jacket, the first time I've been faced with this decision. I've seen lots of positive feedback on some products that are pre-weathered, but user feedback is somewhat self-selecting. Just going with my gut, until experience can give me a better guide.

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
FURTHER EDIT: But to take your point more directly, I'm not sure. This is my first such jacket, the first time I've been faced with this decision. I've seen lots of positive feedback on some products that are pre-weathered, but user feedback is somewhat self-selecting. Just going with my gut, until experience can give me a better guide.

The worn look is great. But it's even better when you've put in the wear yourself. I think if you ever own a jacket you really like, wear it for years, and look at its accumulated wear and fade, you'll feel something you'll never feel by buying a 'distressed' jacket off the peg. But that may not be an experience you value enough to wait years for. YMMV.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The worn look is great. But it's even better when you've put in the wear yourself. I think if you ever own a jacket you really like, wear it for years, and look at its accumulated wear and fade, you'll feel something you'll never feel by buying a 'distressed' jacket off the peg. But that may not be an experience you value enough to wait years for. YMMV.

And that is a good argument for having only one really nice leather jacket. My problem is that I can't ever reisit buying that next jacket that I believe that I can't do without. Nothing I own ever gets that "wore it in myself look" that I'm always chasing.

AF

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
And that is a good argument for having only one really nice leather jacket. My problem is that I can't ever reisit buying that next jacket that I believe that I can't do without. Nothing I own ever gets that "wore it in myself look" that I'm always chasing.

AF

I think many people are still in the jacket 'dating' phase. It's fun to take her out, have a good time, etc., but the eyes are always roaming for the greener grass (to mix metaphors). Nothing wrong with having a bunch of jackets: a harem, if you will. If we can't achieve that in the realm of intra-personal relationships in polite society, at least we can with jackets. :cool:

lkalliance

New in Town
I think many people are still in the jacket 'dating' phase. It's fun to take her out, have a good time, etc., but the eyes are always roaming for the greener grass (to mix metaphors). Nothing wrong with having a bunch of jackets: a harem, if you will. If we can't achieve that in the realm of intra-personal relationships in polite society, at least we can with jackets. :cool:

LOL

I don't lead a very active lifestyle, and I'm already really really old, like, over 30, man. Not enough time!

But, hey, that's a good subject. What activities do or don't contribute to wear? I mean, 99% of the time I'll be wearing it in the car, at the office, out on the town...I wouldn't wear it bike riding, or just walking the dog, or swimming. Should I expect it to age nicely even though it leads a sedentary lifestyle along with me?

I look in my closet, I don't really accumulate jackets (or clothes in general, for that matter) very quickly. Not as quickly as I accumulate, say, iPhones.

lkalliance

New in Town

AF

I actually feel pretty good about my ability to stick to one jacket. For one I don't really have the budget to do this very often, this is a treat for me (it occurred to me today that I first remember thinking, "I really like those bomber-style jackets, I want to look into getting one of those" over 15 years ago).

I definitely understand the hypocrisy (is that too strong a word?) about getting it pre-distressed. When I buy a new car, I like it to look pristine. When I buy a new piece of personal electronics, I like it to look pristine. I expend a certain amount of effort to keep these things looking as new as possible. And thus if they DO look new, then that's a reflection of my own efforts, a reflection of me. Why should I act differently in this case? It's an interesting question.

I think when it gets here I'll be able to take a look at it and see what my gut reaction is. Wow, am I manly enough for this forum?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure on that. A little Hollywood, perhaps? I like the "worn" look, but my own lifestyle isn't such that it would likely ever look that way on its own any time soon. But I've ordered it, I'll see it in person. Pondering the psychology: if I order the (more expensive) distressed one and I love it, then great. If I don't think it's a huge deal, I return it for the undistressed one, get about $70 back on the exchange. EDITED TO ADD: And that makes me a savvy shopper! ;)

I don't care that the wear is fake - what troubles me is that it looks fake and reminds me of all those predistressed jackets of the 1980's worn with marble wash denim. I know some kids around here now wear these as ironic vintage outfits, but even then they looked naff.

Last edited:

lkalliance

New in Town
Hey, all,

Received the first jacket, this one from US Wings. My first A-2! Really, come to think of it, my first personally-chosen leather jacket since...high school? Earlier? Many years, let's leave it at that.

Unfortunately, it's too small. It feels good up top, not as restricting as I thought it would be, and it's not uncomfortable around the midsection but tight enough that it doesn't contact my waist. It doesn't look presentable (yes, that's it, it's the JACKET'S fault)...

Anyway, on Monday I'm anticipating the arrival of the LL Bean jacket, for comparison. My research indicates that they "fit bigger", and I'll be interested in seeing if that's true, and if I like the jacket as much as I (otherwise) like the one I got today.

Oh, and to speak to Seb Lucas' point above, I don't really notice THAT much wear on it...such that I'm likely to just get the un-antiqued regular A-2 2000, assuming I do end up getting a new one from US Wings rather than from LL Bean.

Last edited:

lkalliance

New in Town
I got in the LL Bean Flying Tiger, and it was no contest: the US Wings, though too small (I delayed returning it so I could compare to the LL Bean), was much more comfortable, with softer cuffs and more supple leather. A little lighter, but less stiff. The LL Bean collar was uncomfortable, as well, poking me in my jaw when I turned my head.

So I've returned them both, and will be getting the US Wings A-2 2000, though the regular and not antiqued. Glad that I have gotten through my usual overthinking, lol.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
I feel your pain Ikalliance. Took me months to decide between a US Wings, Cockpit and Gibson Barnes G1. Ended up plumbing for the G & B after talking it through with their really prompt and helpful customer service. Now I just have to wait until the beginning of April to get my hands on it!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I feel your pain Ikalliance. Took me months to decide between a US Wings, Cockpit and Gibson Barnes G1. Ended up plumbing for the G & B after talking it through with their really prompt and helpful customer service. Now I just have to wait until the beginning of April to get my hands on it!

You will be pleased with G&B and well rewarded for the wait! There may be some equals to G&B, but there is none better.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Don't kid yourself: G&Bs are excellent, but there definitely ARE better.

You're right that there aren't better in the mid-price range, but don't forget about the amazing jackets of Good Wear, Eastman, McCoy's, Lost Worlds... A whole other plane of quality!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
OK, I might agree there are some better reproductions with regards to authenticity, but the stitching, detail, knits, and overall quality can't be beat in my book when it comes to G&B.
My A2 is perfect in every way that concerns me, and at $400 I consider it fair priced.

Styling details are a different area, and are subject to personal likes/dislikes.

Don't really think there is anything better at the basic function of a coat, i.e., warm, good fit, attractive and affordable.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There can sometimes be real snobbery about clothing. I'm as happy with the G&B as I have been with any custom jacket Aero, Alexanders or Johnson Leathers. In fact I wear the G&B more often.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
There can sometimes be real snobbery about clothing. I'm as happy with the G&B as I have been with any custom jacket Aero, Alexanders or Johnson Leathers. In fact I wear the G&B more often.

Something else is the perceived value of the item. In the case of G&B, there certainly are more expensive jackets available. But when you approach perfection, as G&B does, the extra money spent is rapidly diminishing on the return aspect.

A more perfect hem line? A better stitch? Better knits? Perhaps. Almost all leather is imported from the Middle East, Pakistan in particular.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You know, I think it's hilarious that I'm being perceived as a jacket snob!

I own exactly four leather jackets: two G&Bs, a Wested, and a Good Wear. I've had a couple of other midrange jackets over the last decade - a US Wings and a US Authentic. Compared to the folks here with closets full of Eastmans, Aeros, Rickson's, and Good Wears who've spent a fortune and traded dozens of jackets in a quest for the best, I'm a rank amateur.

But after being interested in this stuff since 2001, and after finally getting the Good Wear just two years ago, I no longer feel that my G&Bs "approach perfection". They don't fit me like my custom-sized Good Wear. Their synthetic knits and linings feel tacky in comparsion to real wool and cotton. There's a bland, factory-perfect feel to them that's a totally different experience from a handmade jacket, completely leaving aside the authenticity aspect.

TXFlyGuy, it's great to feel as you do about your new jackets. I felt that way ten years ago myself. And I still wear my G&B jackets plenty. They have held up to heavy wear with no failure of zipper, seams, lining, knits, etc. They're great jackets. But I can't and won't pretend that they are equal to my Good Wear.

I'm no snob. I have never lusted after "the best" of anything (I totally absorbed my Depression-raised parents' "functional is good enough" programming)... But sometimes, a high-priced, handmade product actually is worth its cost, especially if it's taken you time and experience to work up to it. I'm just sayin'...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff