Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That'll be a good choice for China, Edward. I am wearing my almost exclusively these days, though it is still quite cool here at this time of year. We're breaking into the 70s right now, but still not too hot for the Riverina. (Today it is my Whippet, but only because I thought I had to give a tour, and my Whippet goes much better with a coat and tie.)

I'm looking forward to your pics from China!

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Thanks!

I think Akubra just did a special version of their standard military bush hat for Eddie Bauer at some point, and they just keep showing up. For all intents and purposes, it is identical to the military hat, but the pug is just slightly different and the sweatband is stamped with the Eddie Bauer logo. I don't have a photo of mine handy, but here is Rooster in his EB:

MMy EB has the hook on the left side of the crown, and the small brass square on the edge of the brim that snaps into the hook to turn the brim up. The mechanism is identical to the hook and square on my Australian-issue bush hat made by Newcastle, too, though the quality of the Akubra felt is much, much higher. I suspect that any Akubra bush hat would be of the same quality felt, though. The EB versions show up on OFAS pretty often, but I think the only advantage might be that slightly more distinctive pug.

I've got one of each and there are a few differences besides the puggaree. My Akubra Slouch is Khaki coloured, unlined, bashed cattleman style and made of Akubra's Superfine felt. My EB is light tan, fully lined, bashed with a center dent and made of Akubra's Imperial felt. :D

Edward

Bartender
Finally..... I have managed to upload my China photos, so here are some of me in the hat. As you will see, in the end I came down on the side of wrapping my own pugaree; it's a bit uneven on one side (I disrupted it trying to push in the end bit up and under at the rear), though I kinda like that, looks "real."

This is me wearing the hat in the Forbidden City in Beijing....

UploadedSat060908020.jpg

At the Terracota Army in Xi'an...

UploadedSat060908119.jpg

And on the Star Ferry tour of Hong Kong Harbour:

UploadedSat060908919.jpg

Quite a few of the locals took a fancy to the hat, here's one of them:

UploadedSat060908872.jpg

This guy offered me a trade....

UploadedSat0609081489.jpg

....he said it was a hat fit for an emperor....

UploadedSat060908070.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Hopefully mine will manage a few more adventures! I did manage to turn the liner an interesting colour of reddish brown - sweated the dye out of the headband in the hong Kong humidity, it seems - though there was no transferance onto the felt on the top side, just a small stai on the bottom I keep forgetting to clean off....

Highlander

A-List Customer
Edward, I just ordered my Riverina. I plan to go to Africa (well maybe next spring or the following spring), but I want to get my hat broke in. I should have it this week. As for the puggarree being a little off balance, I like that, it adds your personal style.

Great looking hat an photos.

Thanks for sharing..

Edward

Bartender
Thanks! you should find it ideal for Africa... I'm just back from a fortnight in Beijing again, with the Riverina. A number of days I'd have preferred to have had a Panama on, but that said the Riverina won out as, only having space for one hat with me, it is the most adaptable hat I have in terms of dealing with temperatures both hot and cool, and weather both dry and extremely wet (last year in Hong Kong it performed very admirably in the heaviest rain on record in that territory for 120 years!).

If someone is a whizz with some sort of online version of a pin-board world map, we should have a go at identifying all the places wherein Riverinas have been sported.... I count at least four continents so far (North America, Europe, Asia, Australasia), Africa would make it five..... Is it possible that the Riverina has overtaken the Federation in terms of being the FL hat with the greatest global reach in terms of number of places worn (if not unit sales)?

Edward

Bartender
Colby Jack said:
Edward...what's that online map site that shows stick pins for where people are?...That would work well...[huh] :D

Uhm..... don't think I'm familiar with that one, but it does sound like what I had in mind. :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
The Original - 2 Years Later

I just realized that it's been a little over 2 years since I first started the Riverina epidemic at The Fedora Lounge. Since that time my trusty hat has seen a lot of use, abuse, wear, and tear. Thought I'd share a few recent photos of the original hat. Enjoy!

The world famous "Safari-ized" Akubra Riverina - a little stained, somewhat sun bleached, but holding strong.
CMK_2423.jpg

You might be able to see the fading a little better in this photo. Also notice the sun's bleaching effect on the puggaree where some of the material has slipped, showing the original color beneath.
CMK_2428.jpg

Dust, mud, rain, herbicide, soot - you name and this hat has been through it.
CMK_2425.jpg

No problems retaining its shape, but just look how buttery-soft the hat has become.
CMK_2426.jpg

Me and the Riverina - carrying the prestigious flag of the legendary Explorers Club (through my daily work environment).
IMG_9244.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran