Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
... it really looks like mine did before I center creased it . No Tug Boat , just straight after I creased it . Looked lower off and open than when I creased and applied to noggin , but I bet its thstandard CD block , just guessing . I need a salad bowl , or block , want to blow out the OR , and maybe the Bushman and see what I might could do . Or I'll get Mike Moore to , especially the OR . I need more noggin room up top . May just be me .

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking about buying an Atwood palm Nevada hat for the warm weather coming on. Are they noticeably cooler than felt? How will the palm hold up to rain and wind? Are they easy to stretch into a long oval without damage?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm thinking about buying an Atwood palm Nevada hat for the warm weather coming on. Are they noticeably cooler than felt? How will the palm hold up to rain and wind? Are they easy to stretch into a long oval without damage?
I would never wear any straw-like hat (straw, palm, hemp) in the rain. It won't sprout, but it will most likely change or loose it's shape.

My Panamas and Parabuntals are cooler than my felts - the tighter weave, the warmer hat. The hemp, I recently bought from Peters Bros. in Fort Worth, is probably my coolest, though. The weave is pretty open, so the wind blows more or less right through the crown.

Check out the "Peters Bros." thread: http://thefedoralounge.com/threads/peters-bros.82936/page-19
- a lot of us have bought those hats over the last couple of months - and we're all very satisfied :)

56, I bought a large brim Sunbody Palm to be used as an outdoors work hat 4-5 yrs ago. I wear a 61 & it was a 60 but I needed the hat at that time. It has a cloth sweat & it took a couple of times to get it to stay but it took a stretch just fine. It originally had a cloth bandana type hatband which I changed out to one from my parts box.

It doesn't have any grommets or air holes but is definitely cooler than felt. It has been out in the rain several times & when really hot out I have dunked it in stock tanks & rain barrels to make it cooler. It has always held it's shape. It is starting to crack out at one of the pinches where I grab it all the time, but I'll still get a couple more seasons out of it. It has served me well. I posted this pic a month or so ago:

14wr6f7.jpg

Barry Pina

New in Town
OK I've got a hat question. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure this is the right place to post...

I have this old campaign hat and would like some more information on it . I got it with some WW1 memorabilia.

It has a 3 inch brim all around, a 5 inch crown, 4 vent holes, 5 rings of stitching on the brim, 7/8 inch hat band. the sweat band is missing. there is half of a label that says ...TH... RS...OF NORTH AMERICA REGISTERED (Union Made)

anyone know any more information about it?

Attachments

• Hata.jpg
    Hata.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 119
  • hatb.jpg
    hatb.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 125
Anyone tell the age of this Stetson box?

I'm not familiar with that box artwork. I would like to see more photos of the hat.

OK I've got a hat question.
I have this old campaign hat and would like some more information on it . I got it with some WW1 memorabilia.

It has a 3 inch brim all around, a 5 inch crown, 4 vent holes, 5 rings of stitching on the brim, 7/8 inch hat band. the sweat band is missing. there is half of a label that says ...TH... RS...OF NORTH AMERICA REGISTERED (Union Made)

anyone know any more information about it?

I believe it was posted in another thread... the union label was in use prior to 1934. The size sticker is of a style that I have seen from hats in the first and second decade of the 20th century. It could be one hundred years old. The brim stitching and hat band could be original or it might have been modified in subsequent years. It will be hard to say more given what remains.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
So I picked up this old boater at a thrift today. It has definitely seen better days.
P1180445 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180444 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I would like to stabilize it's condition and perhaps have it wearable on occasion. The most pressing problem is the lid.
P1180446 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It is loose about a third of the way around the hat. It also needs a new band and a ribbon cleaning.
P1180447 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180449 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
So is it doable? Advice? Should I soak it before I sew the lid? Will I need a block if I do that?

Thanks,
Michael

The two pictures show a red silk liner and fine stitched sweatband... hard to tell whether the sweatband is rolled at the edge. Here are a two for comparison, the Boss Raw Edge has a rolled sweatband edge and is earlier than the 5XCB, which is late 1930s-early 1940s.

nutria9.jpg

5X18.jpg

So I picked up this old boater at a thrift today. It has definitely seen better days.
P1180445 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180444 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I would like to stabilize it's condition and perhaps have it wearable on occasion. The most pressing problem is the lid.
P1180446 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It is loose about a third of the way around the hat. It also needs a new band and a ribbon cleaning.
P1180447 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180449 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
So is it doable? Advice? Should I soak it before I sew the lid? Will I need a block if I do that?

Thanks,
Michael

Talk about "character!" Great lid, Michael. I'm only guessing, but maybe a teeny, tiny touch of glue here and there would stabilize the top? Or, I have also seen successful (near invisible) needle and thread mending done on an old Milan weave hat. Or do you know any basket weavers? Good luck on this worthwhile project, and please let us see the results!

stephena310

One of the Regulars
NEW QUESTION:
I am sure this has been asked before, but being relatively new to the this site and maybe I don't really understand how to use the "search" tool, (As I am definitely technology challenged), I was wondering if there is a spot/forum where we might find and/or post a hat "For Sale", prior to posting it somewhere else (like Ebay or Esty, or some other site) ? ? ?

Is there a special "forum" or which forum is most used for this?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21