Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The leaves here are still green but it is chilly & the mornings do have a very definate autumnal feel to them.
Isn't that right ladies ?

New Forest Ponies. Take a drive into the forest and park up with your engine running on any cooler days of the year. It won't be long before the ponies appear, seeing what they can scrounge, or, rubbing up against the warm grille of the car for a much appreciated warm.
ponies.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The leaves are roughly 50% turned where I am (despite the daily news shows insisting that they're already at peak). We are having Indian Summer warmth this week: it was in the mid-thirties just a couple of nights ago, but daytime highs will be pushing 80 today and for several days. For the first time in a month, I didn't even have to wear a jacket this morning... leaving for work nearly an hour before sunrise!

The leaves are roughly 50% turned where I am (despite the daily news shows insisting that they're already at peak). We are having Indian Summer warmth this week: it was in the mid-thirties just a couple of nights ago, but daytime highs will be pushing 80 today and for several days. For the first time in a month, I didn't even have to wear a jacket this morning... leaving for work nearly an hour before sunrise!

My guess, your daily news shows are pushing the story for the tourist trade. I have friend who lives in Florida who swears the weather is so pro-tourist-trade biased that it can be raining over her house and the local news won't report it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My guess, your daily news shows are pushing the story for the tourist trade. I have friend who lives in Florida who swears the weather is so pro-tourist-trade biased that it can be raining over her house and the local news won't report it.

Could be. All I know is, roads all over Dutchess County were jammed yesterday, with cars full of leaf peepers, apple pickers, and hikers. And I mean jammed! Like 800% of usual traffic in some places.

We finally had a bit of rain during the early morning hours here, just enough to make the roads a little slippery for the morning commute. I was hoping it meant we'd finally be getting cooler, autumn-like weather, but they're predicting temps in the low 100s (°F) by Thursday and weekend temps in the 90s. :(

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is 5:30 (and I'm still at my desk and probably will be for the next hour, BOO) and it is getting dark outside. I love fall, but I am always thankful I don't live further north this time of year. In the summer, I of course, kick myself for living too fall south to enjoy nights full of twilight.

And, yes, this is written entirely from the perspective of a Northern Hemisphere-r.

I may leave work right now so I can see the pretty leaves on the trees as I walk 20 minutes to my car. Rather than darkness.

We finally had a bit of rain during the early morning hours here, just enough to make the roads a little slippery for the morning commute. I was hoping it meant we'd finally be getting cooler, autumn-like weather, but they're predicting temps in the low 100s (°F) by Thursday and weekend temps in the 90s. :(

Had a coworker in California explain on a conference call yesterday how they were getting ungodly amounts a rain...almost an inch! I thought...wow, a whole inch...almost enough to wet the grass.

But in all seriousness, the rain in California is good. You guys need more of it.

Had a coworker in California explain on a conference call yesterday how they were getting ungodly amounts a rain...almost an inch! I thought...wow, a whole inch...almost enough to wet the grass...
He must have been north of Los Angeles, because we got maybe 1/4" and that was only in certain areas. Enough to wet the grass, but certainly not enough to saturate the soil and properly give it the water it needs.

Fierce_Storm_zpsx2u01sad.jpg

...But in all seriousness, the rain in California is good. You guys need more of it.
Some of the "experts" are saying California would need "normal" amounts of rain for the next 100 years to get us out of our current drought.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Some of the "experts" are saying California would need "normal" amounts of rain for the next 100 years to get us out of our current drought.
We were in the same boat, experts said it would take decades to recover, then the rains came, flooding, mud slides, lakes and reservoirs are full again and now we are out of the drought. Unfortunately, other parts of the state are still in drought conditions. Moisture is a fickle mistress!

Its been in the mid to uppers 80s here all week, so it seems fall has taken a break. Supposed to be in the 50s and 60s this weekend.

Leaves are starting to change, and more and more pumpkins are sitting on doorsteps in the neighborhood.

Its been in the mid to uppers 80s here all week, so it seems fall has taken a break. Supposed to be in the 50s and 60s this weekend.

Leaves are starting to change, and more and more pumpkins are sitting on doorsteps in the neighborhood.
Been mid to upper 80s here as well, but there's a good chance for rain tonight that should bring a cool weekend, although the long range forecast looks like it'll be back in the 80s by early next week.

A couple of pumpkins showed up on my porch recently thanks to a generous neighbor who picked up a few extra for the kids in the neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot