Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

That sounds about right.
You still have any RS marshmallow pumpkins left?

Just counted, 8 (of the original 36) left. It helped that other candy has been coming into the house over the last couple of weeks.

Also, interestingly, the orange marshmallow pumpkins never showed up in NYC stores this year. Yes, my life is so empty that, even though I had mine, I continued to look in the stores and they never got here. I can't understand that - seems like an odd lost opportunity.

Last edited:
Just counted, 8 (of the original 36) left. It helped that other candy has been coming into the house over the last couple of weeks.

Also, interestingly, the orange marshmallow pumpkins never showed up in NYC stores this year. Yes, my life is so empty that, even though I had mine, I continued to look in the stores and they never got here. I can't understand that - seems like an odd lost opportunity.
That's so weird. Wonder what the story is there?

That's so weird. Wonder what the story is there?

It is very odd. This is a huge market - the drug store on 57th and 3rd probably sells 50 times what the drug store in the town I grew up in does - and NYC has hundreds of drug stores. I don't get it. I know there is intense competition for shelf space so maybe Russell Stover lost out - but again, odd, as they've had that space for decades and, if they did lose out, they lost out in several different chains all at one time?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I guise it is time to do the ultimate old geezer thing, and buy a sweater to walk around the house. :)
Well, I didn't break down and buy a sweater, but I did find a comfortable substitute! I was at a certain big box store that will remain nameless, and I thought I would look for a sweater. I did not find one I liked, but happened onto the work wear section, there was a Wranglers flannel shirt that I really like, so I bought it. Now this is not your granddaddy's flannel shirt, it has both snaps and a zipper, plus some kind of thinsolator lining, and a hoodie. Wow, is it comfortable! It has been down right warm during the day, but cold after the sun goes down. This is perfect, so I don't have to run the furnace when It is 66F inside.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
My dad did the geezer thing & turned on the heater yesterday. Weird since it's been the warmest autumn since records have been kept & it has yet to reach into the 40's. IN NOVEMBER! What is happening!? :eek: Oh. I probably already know the answer to that...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well, I didn't break down and buy a sweater, but I did find a comfortable substitute!
No sweater here either, I wear something called a housecoat. My wife made it after seeing Noel Coward wearing one in an old movie.
housecoat.jpg
This is not mine, I haven't the time to photograph it at the moment, mine is sandy brown with checkered cuffs, collar and top pocket, all edged in gold piping with gold satin lining.

My dad did the geezer thing & turned on the heater yesterday.
Think about it, if you turn the heating on before it's required, you have time to repair anything before the temperature drops. Every year I test run the central heating system and bleed the radiators whilst the weather is still clement.

My dad did the geezer thing & turned on the heater yesterday. Weird since it's been the warmest autumn since records have been kept & it has yet to reach into the 40's. IN NOVEMBER! What is happening!? :eek: Oh. I probably already know the answer to that...
We've been using our heater in the late night/early morning hours for the past two months because my wife thinks it's cold in the house if the temperature drops below 75°F. o_O

That aside, autumn hasn't quite struck southern California just yet. High temps in the low 90s (°F) for the last two days, and no "fall like" temperatures predicted for at least another week.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
My dad did the geezer thing & turned on the heater yesterday. Weird since it's been the warmest autumn since records have been kept & it has yet to reach into the 40's. IN NOVEMBER!
Which is why I can't bring myself to buy any Christmas decorations. I normally don't put them up until after Thanksgiving, but sometimes I do buy things beforehand. I just can't, even though one of the home improvement stores has 6.5' trees for $69.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
We've been using our heater in the late night/early morning hours for the past two months because my wife thinks it's cold in the house if the temperature drops below 75°F. o_O

It is cold if it drops below 75. :D Maybe it's a woman thing. lol

Which is why I can't bring myself to buy any Christmas decorations. I normally don't put them up until after Thanksgiving, but sometimes I do buy things beforehand. I just can't, even though one of the home improvement stores has 6.5' trees for $69.

Really wish Christmas could wait until AFTER Thanksgiving, but, then we are all old-fashioned around here & it starts immediately after Halloween nowadays. $69!!? Buy that NOW! I worked at a Christmas store in college & they were upwards of $200 or more. Plus today I somehow ended up listening to Christmas music on my ipod, so I guess I've fallen in with the rest as far as the pre-Thanksgiving holiday madness.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
At Christmas, at my girlfriend's parents' house, I sit placidly by as the unspoken (WASPs have an incredibly ability to keep a surface calm) thermostat wars rage on with indoor temperatures changing as much as ten degrees several times a day (when the troops are actively engaged; other times, one side or the other has retreated and the temperature is consistently hot or cold that day).

I simply take on and off my sweater or sweatshirt, sometimes several times a day, without saying a word. Everybody seems happy and Christmas is fun even as the temperature inside pings up and down.
Had a friend who described his Presbyterian church as the "Frozen Chosen" for their lack of emotion.

My in-laws both grew up very poor, one in Appalachia at the end f the dirt road, the other kind of like a poorer version of Little Rascals. My father-in-law talked about being 9 years old and making the rounds of the bars with his shoe shine kit. Still had it to the day he passed. She would never be too hot or cold. Their fireplace was kind of a symbol of "I've made it." He would crank up the fireplace in the winter to the point my mother-in-law would turn on the AC.

Last, there's a documentary called Grey Gardens about Jackie Kennedy's relatives who lost most of their money but still lived in the Hamptons. These two women seemed quite bitter towards each other, but never raised their voices. The only thing that seemed to separate them from Jerry Springer's guest was their unwillingness to scream.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Autumn 2017 is approaching. Autumnal equinox is not until next week, but I'm starting to feel the season.
Woke up to a cool and drizzly morning and wore a coat and a fedora for the first time since about April.
Its also been such that I was able to light candles at dinnertime on Sunday.
Sigh. But that's not what I'm really writing about.
Sent our youngest daughter off to college a few weeks back. Now we are empty-nesters.
Autumnal thoughts, indeed. ...In more ways than one. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21