Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I've been working really hard to get ready. I've been walking every day for the last month. I'm doing three miles in forty-five minutes. In a couple more weeks I should be up to four miles in an hour. Once I'm comfortable doing that I'm going to start walking with my pack. I'll have about five weeks to get used to that and I'm going to start walking some hills out at Fort Harrison State Park. I've lost fifteen pounds so far and hope to drop another fifteen before we go. That will put me pretty close to my recommended weight. The guy who is heading this up is trying to find a loop that isn't terribly difficult, but I intend to be ready for anything.

You're in for a treat. The HNF is a beautiful place especially in the fall. If this is your first time backpacking I hope you realize, and are ready, because the HNF is up one ridge and down the other and do it all over again ;) please do share pictures and story when you return.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been working really hard to get ready. I've been walking every day for the last month. I'm doing three miles in forty-five minutes. In a couple more weeks I should be up to four miles in an hour. Once I'm comfortable doing that I'm going to start walking with my pack. I'll have about five weeks to get used to that and I'm going to start walking some hills out at Fort Harrison State Park. I've lost fifteen pounds so far and hope to drop another fifteen before we go. That will put me pretty close to my recommended weight. The guy who is heading this up is trying to find a loop that isn't terribly difficult, but I intend to be ready for anything.

First off: GREAT for you.. you're lose weight. :)
And second: that's EXACTLY how I've prepared for the "hiking marathon" I went on this spring. And, since I can't run, this is how I keep myself fit. ;)

Dan'l

Practically Family

Seems like a very good plan, you should do fine. Have fun.

flat-top

Today's the first day of school for my little girl :( And it's COLD and rainy this morning. I would say that Fall is here, but it's suppossed to be 80 again this Friday.

Stray Cat

Today's the first day of school for my little girl :( And it's COLD and rainy this morning. I would say that Fall is here, but it's suppossed to be 80 again this Friday.

Oho! Well, I hope she'll have a GREAT time in school. ;)

Strangely, it's still summer here.. days should be filled with fog, and "runny-nose" rain.. but, instead, we're still wearing spf 50+. :) I guess you call it "Indian summer" there.. we call it "St. Michel's heat days" here. As it turnes out, it wasn't this hot here since 1930s.
30 ºC ..that should be.. 86 ºF (if my online converter works) lol

flat-top

I don't think we've had a proper Indian Summer here in NY in years. The rule being of course that you'd have to have a first frost before the hot weather comes back.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I never could understand HOW can someone live in a single-season place? Even having a "forever summer" gets boring. I love seasons, I love to see them shift and morph.. :)

Agreed. I think the seasons are there for a reason. Nice to see and experience change with, and in, time. I enjoy that the seasons set the backdrop for your activities for that specific time of year too.

Still agree too...autumn is best. It just seems to put me in a very contemplative and relaxed condition. The colors open my eyes and make me appreciate change, and I know nature is reminding me of being alive when I can feel the cool air with each breath early in the morning.

God to hear from ya,
M.

Stray Cat

John Keats - To Autumn

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.
Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor,
Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind;
Or on a half-reap'd furrow sound asleep,
Drows'd with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers:
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep
Steady thy laden head across a brook;
Or by a cider-press, with patient look,
Thou watchest the last oozings hours by hours.
Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,-
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day,
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the river sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft
The red-breast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
We didn't have much of a summer in England, rained on and off. My patio umbrella went up once! We had a few days at the beach, watching the tide rollout and the yachts bob into the harbour. We go to our fave spot and wave to them coming in. Henry my son picks shells and when we get home he listens to them to hear the sea.
I don't mind the winter, cold sets in, you wrap up warm pull out the wellies and off you go! I'm knitter so we are never short of woolly things to wrap up in. We go to the beach even in the winter, its beautiful. We went for a trek at the weekend, picked elderberries for cordial, blackberries for jams and we found oysters & mussels on the beach too! On the way home the onion truck from the farm had spilt loads of red iniond all over the road and all the cars were stopping and everyone was opening their doors and reaching down and picking them up! They smelt amazing too.

Stray Cat

We didn't have much of a summer in England, rained on and off. My patio umbrella went up once! We had a few days at the beach, watching the tide rollout and the yachts bob into the harbour. We go to our fave spot and wave to them coming in. Henry my son picks shells and when we get home he listens to them to hear the sea.
I don't mind the winter, cold sets in, you wrap up warm pull out the wellies and off you go! I'm knitter so we are never short of woolly things to wrap up in. We go to the beach even in the winter, its beautiful. We went for a trek at the weekend, picked elderberries for cordial, blackberries for jams and we found oysters & mussels on the beach too! On the way home the onion truck from the farm had spilt loads of red iniond all over the road and all the cars were stopping and everyone was opening their doors and reaching down and picking them up! They smelt amazing too.

Well, what a nice time you had.. :)
I, with some friends, am planning a hike (short one, so that we can enjoy sites on the way)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou