Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to reattach sweatband on Stetson?

25B

Suspended
One of my Stetson OR hats sweatband has detached from the front edge of the hat. The holes are not pulled through the leather, so it should be able to be sewn back without having to replace it.

Can someone recommend the best place to send it to have it reattached? I've tried looking for a tutorial on how to do this myself, but couldn't find anything useful. (Broken pics, links, etc.) It is a nice hat, so would prefer to have it done professionally anyway.

Thanks for any recommendations...

RJR

One of my Stetson OR hats sweatband has detached from the front edge of the hat. The holes are not pulled through the leather, so it should be able to be sewn back without having to replace it.

Can someone recommend the best place to send it to have it reattached? I've tried looking for a tutorial on how to do this myself, but couldn't find anything useful. (Broken pics, links, etc.) It is a nice hat, so would prefer to have it done professionally anyway.

Thanks for any recommendations...
There is no indication as to where you are located so just general thoughts.Any hatter should be able to do the repair nicely.Lounger Bond in Milwaukee probably does as much rehab work as anyone and is excellent.

25B

Suspended
I’m in Texas and I do not trust just any random local hatter with this job. It is a really nice hat, so I am looking for recommendations for someone (preferably directly from those that have actually used the person’s services) that does excellent work worthy of this hat thanks. (With contact information, please...)

Last edited:
It's a pretty easy home repair, but I'll echo both Bob and jlee. Bond does great rehab work for a fair price, and if you're near Ft. Worth, avail yourself of Peters Brothers.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

25B

Suspended
It's a pretty easy home repair

It would be...if one could actually locate a viable tutorial to follow and I can't. I've tried. There aren't any that I can find anyway.

I'll see if I can find any way to contact Peters Brothers. Thanks.

Looks like I do not want them doing anything to my hat...they have one price apparently and say they strip everything off the hat -- I don't need (or want) all of that done -- the sweatband just needs to be reattached and I can't get them to answer the phone to discuss anything with them. Moving on to others now.

Have you personally had any work done by either of these people?

Last edited:
It would be...if one could actually locate a viable tutorial to follow and I can't. I've tried. There aren't any that I can find anyway.

I'll see if I can find any way to contact Peters Brothers. Thanks.

Can't get them to answer the phone. Moving on to others now.

Pretty easy to figure out by looking at another one, though. I'm not a fan of the stitch awl method espoused by some here, preferring to hand stitch with needle and thread. If a fumble fingers like me can do it, anybody can. Of course, I'm talking about a reeded sweatband.

Just contact Bond through here or FineVintageFedoras on Etsy. He'll fix you up.

25B

Suspended
Pretty easy to figure out by looking at another one, though. I'm not a fan of the stitch awl method espoused by some here, preferring to hand stitch with needle and thread. If a fumble fingers like me can do it, anybody can. Of course, I'm talking about a reeded sweatband.

Just contact Bond through here or FineVintageFedoras on Etsy. He'll fix you up.

The sweatband in my hat is not reeded.

I'll see if I can get a message to him on etsy...thanks.

25B

Suspended
Ok, apparently he doesn't feel like doing it. He told me to get double-sided sticky tape or some crap...

REALLY wanting to find a legitimate, PROFESSIONAL to reattach it for me.

So...to recap (and for future reference in case anyone else ever needs this done...)

Peters Brothers -- eliminated due to not being about to contact them and their wanting to completely disassemble the hat to restitch 4-5 inches of sweatband.

"Bond" -- eliminated due to he doesn't feel like doing it. Tried to say original sweatbands are "too fragile" even though mine is in great shape. Told me to get double-sided sticky tape to fix a beautiful Stetson.

Any other recommendations for people that can and will actually do this work?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Real talk: your hat probably isn't that special.

Unless it's a pre-war Stetson that we're taking about, I'd be more patient with Peter bros. They've been in business for over a century. Sometimes small businesses get busy. They made a hat for President Kennedy, but I guess they're not up to snuff for you.

Many custom makers do renovation work as well. Northwest Hats, Art Fawcett, Wellema, etc, etc, etc

25B

Suspended
Real talk: your hat probably isn't that special.

Unless it's a pre-war Stetson that we're taking about, I'd be more patient with Peter bros. They've been in business for over a century. Sometimes small businesses get busy. They made a hat for President Kennedy, but I guess they're not up to snuff for you.

Many custom makers do renovation work as well. Northwest Hats, Art Fawcett, Wellema, etc, etc, etc

I'm disinclined to wait twelve weeks to get a few inches of sweatband reattached and no, I couldn't give a rip about what they've done in the past -- I care about what they're doing *right now*...which is not answering the phone.

I also don't care if you think my hat is special or not...It's a very early 7X clear beaver and I don't want some ham-handed, sloppy *** jerk working on it, so sue me.

25B

Suspended
Are you making all your enquiries with the same winning attitude?

I asked what's-his-name very politely about reattaching the sweat and he replied to get double-sided sticky tape. I can send you a screenshot, if you don't believe me.

Haven't asked Peters Bros. because they can't be bothered to answer the *** **** phone.

Last edited:

25B

Suspended
Personally, I'd speak to Art. I do reeded sweatbands all the time for new builds on the hats I make, but for vintage work, if your REALLY discerning, I trust Art in a minute!

Thank you...I will POLITELY ask him (the same as I did "bond" there who told me to just get some double-sided tape)...

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Fold up sweatband, slide the ribbon up on the outside and you will see the stitching. It is as simple as needle and thread stuff goes. Go round through the exiting holes twice on starter spot and then try to use the old holes as that makes the needle work not require a thimble to be easy on the fingertip as you push needle through. DO the same go round twice at end of repair section to keep it from pulling loose. You can tie a knot at start and end if you prefer but it doubled when they made and not knotted.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I asked what's-his-name very politely about reattaching the sweat and he replied to get double-sided sticky tape. I can send you a screenshot, if you don't believe me.

Haven't asked Peters Bros. because they can't be bothered to answer the *** **** phone.
that sounds like Scott ... that's all I'll say about that

believe me I completely understand you wanting to get your piece to a professional who will care for your hat .. .I am a hat wearer not a hat repair man ... so every little repair that needs to be done on my hat I want someone I trust doing it

I have a ton of trust in Tim at AlleyKat @Cane Rod Maker ... I sent him a Vita Felt Stetsonian to have work done on the ribbon and he was careful and in contact the entire time... even send photos of the entire process ... he takes a lot of pride in his work and is pretty easily contacted

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21