Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to reattach sweatband on Stetson?

That person was mistaken or has been misinterpreted.

The reed is the wire running on the outside bottom edge of the sweatband that's wrapped in a grayish material. The wire being exposed to sweat is what causes the oxidation on the back where the ends are joined.

The reed was once actual reed. In this hat, the verdigris comes from the brass or copper ferrule that joins the two ends of the metal rod at the rear of the hat.

Assuming that the sweatband remains sewn to the reed tape and it is the attachment of the reed tape that has come loos from the body of the hat, the repair should not be that difficult. The fact that you do not see stitching of the reed showing underneath the ribbon might be because the thread that once attached it is gone. A repair would tack the reed tape to the hat body, with any visible stitches hidden by the ribbon.

Last edited:
That person was mistaken or has been misinterpreted.

The reed is the wire running on the outside bottom edge of the sweatband that's wrapped in a grayish material. The wire being exposed to sweat is what causes the oxidation on the back where the ends are joined.

Borrowing Alan's pic from yesterday in the WHAYWT thread:
brown_gorasgu2.jpg

That's an unreeded sweatband.
+1

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Pics...no stitching showing from outside under ribbon...
I'll add my voice to the others. It's definitely a reeded sweat band. As Alan said, if the reed tape hasn't separated from the leather sweat like this one has.....
IMG_20171019_165641489.jpg

...it should be an easy fix. If it has though, the sweat will have to be replaced. I had to replace the sweat on this one, a very nice hat that was gifted to me from Michael R.

Last edited:

25B

Suspended
I'll add my voice to the others. It's definitely a reeded sweat band. As Alan said, if the reed tape hasn't separated from the leather sweat like this one has.....
IMG_20171019_165641489.jpg

...it should be an easy fix. If it has though, the sweat will have to be replaced. I had to replace the sweat on this one, a very nice hat that was gifted to me from Michael R.

No, it’s still intact. I’ll have it on the way to be fixed tomorrow.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
No, it’s still intact. I’ll have it on the way to be fixed tomorrow.
At least you know now it can be fixed. That's why it's always helpful if you have questions, posting pictures is going to aid in getting the help you need. At first you thought you had an unreeded sweat band and you couldn't find a hatter who would work on one. After posting the pics we realized that you actually had a reeded sweat and it's on the way now to getting fixed. Pictures provide a lot of visual information.

25B

Suspended
At least you know now it can be fixed. That's why it's always helpful if you have questions, posting pictures is going to aid in getting the help you need. At first you thought you had an unreeded sweat band and you couldn't find a hatter who would work on one. After posting the pics we realized that you actually had a reeded sweat and it's on the way now to getting fixed. Pictures provide a lot of visual information.

Change of plans. Apparently, Art doesn't want to do it because I asked if he would reuse the same stitch holes that are already present in the band.

Still trying to find someone that can/will do this.

25B

Suspended
The holes that you see are where the sweatband is seen to the reed. The reed tape is sewn to the hat from behind the leather. There are no holes to be concerned about.

Looks like there are a whole crap-ton of holes under the ribbon...or did I not see that correctly?

25B

Suspended
why in the world would it matter if he used the same holes that remain under the ribbon ?

... and why would you ever request something like that from a master of the craft ?

this whole situation is amazingly bizarre

1. There are already holes IN THE LEATHER SWEATBAND (NOT "UNDER THE RIBBON"!!!!! ON THE EDGE OF THE LEATHER SWEATBAND ITSELF AS THAT IS WHERE THE ORIGINAL STITCHING WAS.
2. Why can those same holes (IN THE SWEATBAND -- NOT UNDER THE RIBBON) not be reused to stitch it back in?

I don't see what is so "bizarre" about that. Apparently everyone here likes just adding all sorts of extra holes in vintage sweatbands or something. I'm not a fan of that.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
1. There are already holes in the sweatband where the original stitching was.
2. Why can those same holes not be reused to stitch it back in?

I don't see what is so "bizarre" about that. Apparently everyone here likes just adding all sorts of extra holes in vintage sweatbands or something. I'm not a fan of that.

ok ... listen close ...

he is not sewing the sweatband to the hat ... he is sewing the reed tape to the hat ... holes in the sweatband are completely irrelevant

and to painstakingly seek out every single hole that already exists is I'm sure something no one in their right mind would be interested in doing ... ever ...

he could have 100% told you that he would use the same holes and then just sewn in the reed and you would have no idea if he did so or not

I understand you love your hat ... I love my hats as well ... but lets not pretend this is some sort of one of a kind piece that should be in a museum somewhere

the thread holes that Art would have put in would have done absolutely zero damage to the hat ... ZERO

have fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21