Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Solids (mostly), all thrifted, mostly Trafalgar.

p1050385xt1.jpg

Patterns (mostly). The paisley brocade second from the left is my only pair of Thurstons, these made for Barney's in NYC (ebayed NIB). The yellow pair with dots are a pair of RL Polos I just thrifted, I think 1980s, probably. The tabs may be pigskin; they're elasticized. The blue with white stripes are cotton, made in England and from Faconnable (ebay). The navy pair pair with flowers are from Liberty of London (ebay). The others are Trafalgar.

p1050391rv8.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Sir RBH said:
Good Day
Glad to hear that you are lookiing for Braces..
In terms of colours, styles etc I tend to choose a pair that match my shirt, ties etc for the day (even if they are hidden under a waistcoat its still important to have things co ordinated!)
All my suits and trousers have braces attached as standard however if the days attire doesn't quite work I will exchange the braces for a different pair. I do tend to favour the Thurstons boxcloths but have a wide and varied selection for other times..
It all gets very complicated at times!!! just kidding
Regards
DSCF1414.jpg

Oct180037.jpg

DSCF4766.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sir RBH, You are, without a doubt, on the '10 Best Dressed' list. * :D

*List compiled by Carter with no offense intended to any excluded party(ies) whether deceased, living, or to be born on some future date.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Picture447.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Regent Belt Co silk braces (worn); Thurston boxcloth; Thurston barathea; Thurston boxcloth; T.M. Lewin rayon (Fleur-de-Lys pattern); Thurston barathea; elasticated; Thurston barathea; Thurston boxcloth.

Picture451.jpg

(Boxcloth again); vintage elasticated; Trafalgar limited edition (Billiards?); Gieves and Hawkes (by Thurston?) silk; Thurston boxcloth; Regent Belt Co. cotton(?); Regent Belt Co. boxcloth; Thurston silk (very worn); Thurston (?); Thurston boxcloth; Thurston barathea; vintage white tie braces.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
onlyoneintown said:
So are elastic braces not good? I was thinking of getting some of those but if I shouldn't please let me know.

Personally, I don't find them as comfortable as barathea, for example, but I wouldn't let that stop you - my first pairs of braces were all elasticated and they did the job well enough.

AlanC

Before making that large of a commitment I would recommend picking up a pair or two and seeing what you like. I don't know how much of a thrifter you are, but picking the odd pair of Trafalgars isn't that hard with a bit of looking. Most of my braces are thrifted. And try Brooks Brothers and Trafalgar on ebay.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
AlanC said:
Before making that large of a commitment I would recommend picking up a pair or two and seeing what you like. I don't know how much of a thrifter you are, but picking the odd pair of Trafalgars isn't that hard with a bit of looking. Most of my braces are thrifted. And try Brooks Brothers and Trafalgar on ebay.

I'd agree with Alan, although it might be worth considering the lot if they are a good price and happen to be (for example) either a lot of vintage braces or really good quality modern braces (e.g. Thurston, Trafalgar), where you have some hope of getting a return on investment should they turn out not to be for you.

AlanC

A couple of 'new' additions, picked up at the thrift store last week (~$3/ea).

A pair of modern Trafalgars:

p1050992zd6.jpg

And a pair of (vintage?) 'action-back' style braces. I thought these might go well with my new dinner jacket. The earlier discussion on this style dated them from the 1930s. Do you think these would be that old?

p1050979zi1.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
New Albert Thurston.

Here's a new Albert Thurston pair that just arrived. I have a few others, but no pics yet.
Marty Mathis

P1010260.jpg
[/IMG]

Ya Gotta love Redheads.

Marty M.

Vendor
Some more Thurstons.

Some more Albert Thurstons. The Redhead from the previous and the Victorian are his Limited Editions. I love the "With and Without" pair. Though they're only for the Bold guy.
Marty Mathis

P1010303.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010300.jpg
[/IMG]

Dagwood

Practically Family
Marty - You have the best stuff.

JamesPowers - I saw a couple of braces (different from those posted by Marty) with the subject matter you're interested in on Albert Thurston's website (scroll down). They are $145.00 a pair, but shipping is free.

As an aside - I also recently purchased the clip-on buttons, and they work great!

Dagwood said:
Marty - You have the best stuff.

JamesPowers - I saw a couple of braces (different from those posted by Marty) with the subject matter you're interested in on Albert Thurston's website (scroll down). They are $145.00 a pair, but shipping is free.

As an aside - I also recently purchased the clip-on buttons, and they work great!

I saw those but they just aren't the same. ;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy