Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tend to shop the way Rooster does, but honestly if you're looking to drop $40 at Men's Warehouse take a look at the 'Specials' section at Thurston instead. Most recognize them as the best made braces you can get, and I'm pretty sure shipping is included in that price (check me on that, though).

One caveat on silk braces, in my experience they tend to show wear pretty easily. I like them, but be aware of it. Good quality elastic will stay looking nicer longer.

Also try ebay and thrifting. Trafalgar and Brooks Brothers also make good braces.

Don't forget that there are dress braces and work braces. You can put the buttons on jeans too. David Morgan has a number of braces in his catalog and the metal type buttons for use on jeans and heavy outdoors pants. They may be on his web site.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
As for positioning the buttons: In the front, put the first button on each side directly over the main trouser pleat, then the second on each side 4" away from the first, towards the side of the trousers. Getting the button position right helps the pleats stay closed and the trousers drape better. Put the rear buttons 2" on either side of the center back seam.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Orgetorix has it as regards placing. I also agree with Alan regarding silk braces, nice as they are - I have worn through about three or four pairs of them. Thurston and Trafalgar are names to look out for.

zeus36

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
I tend to shop the way Rooster does, but honestly if you're looking to drop $40 at Men's Warehouse take a look at the 'Specials' section at Thurston instead. Most recognize them as the best made braces you can get, and I'm pretty sure shipping is included in that price (check me on that, though).

One caveat on silk braces, in my experience they tend to show wear pretty easily. I like them, but be aware of it. Good quality elastic will stay looking nicer longer.

Also try ebay and thrifting. Trafalgar and Brooks Brothers also make good braces.

Thanks for the link to Thurson, I just ordered a set of the nickle plated armbands! Wouldn't have seen these otherwise.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I prefer stripes and you can find plenty of good patterns at Brooks Brothers.

suit-vi.jpg

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Man I wish I had those! but they seem a little bit too much for my price range...bummer. But I saw these http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=469&CatID=30287&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=123faaf&ProdSeq=26&Cat=belts&Dep=MEN&PCat=ACCESSORIES&PCatID=28242&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=39&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28242&RefDeptID=469&Page=4&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|28109|28242|30287 what do you guys think? Will they wear off too quick? cheap quality? I know they have the button ones because I was there the other day.

Wow sorry for the link lol

oh and no belts when wearing them right...?

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's a pair of my favrite vintage bracses. I can only wear them with high waisted pants as they are fairly short. As a coincidence, B happens to be my last name initial.:D Hickock is the brand. Too bad you can't by suspendies like these any more.
suspendies.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Belt and braces is generally considered a no-no, although some did wear them during the period - my enduring image is of Sir Richard Attenborough wearing both whilst playing the murderer Reginald Christie in 10 Rillington Place...

They certainly look hardwearing, although I am not a fan of elasticated braces personally. I imagine they'd make a good starter pair, provided ou could get the button variety.

Anthony.

BTW, for the British climate at least I can heartily recommend Thurston's triple-shrunk Yorkshire boxcloth; I have half a dozen pairs (mustard, scarlet, maroon, royal purple, grass green and navy blue) and wouldn't be without them for three-season wear.

zeus36

A-List Customer
If any of you watch "Torchwood", the spin off of Dr. Who, you'll see Captain Jack Harkness wearing a leather belt with white RAF suspenders. Looks to be military styling as he also wears a British overcoat with the affair. ( I used to wear a military web belt with GI issue suspenders on my BDU pants at my old job)

As to braces or suspenders- since getting more of a white collar job, I have changed my waredrobe to include about eight pair but only have the buttons installed on around five of my trousers so far. I will either wear a buttoned vest or suit jacket to cover them up. They are quite non-descript; I don't like the flashy stuff.

I wear braces 50% of the time now.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
onlyoneintown said:
any patterns you guys suggest? Or do you prefer guys prefer sold colors? Oh and I'm going to go to the Mens Wearhouse because it's right around the corner from here.

Good Day
Glad to hear that you are lookiing for Braces..
In terms of colours, styles etc I tend to choose a pair that match my shirt, ties etc for the day (even if they are hidden under a waistcoat its still important to have things co ordinated!)
All my suits and trousers have braces attached as standard however if the days attire doesn't quite work I will exchange the braces for a different pair. I do tend to favour the Thurstons boxcloths but have a wide and varied selection for other times..
It all gets very complicated at times!!! just kidding
Regards
DSCF1414.jpg

Oct180037.jpg

DSCF4766.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21