Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

What are your experiences?
Are sherpa-denim jackets transitional-jackets or even winter-jackets on temperatures below +5°Celsius/41°Fahrenheit?

Anyone knows??
This always depends on your ability to take the cold and what you wear under it.
The sleeves are quilted, not sherpa-lined but I feel it's a really good jacket for 40ºsF weather. I've been using it here for just that temp range with only a t-shirt under it...

Recommended? Not sure but I have no issues with them and you can fasten them with gloves on.
I like them and they never seem to go bad often.
Buttons look nicer maybe but I don't care much.

Recommended? Not sure but I have no issues with them and you can fasten them with gloves on.
I like them and they never seem to go bad often.
Buttons look nicer maybe but I don't care much.

Thanks!

I was in a department-store, today and decided to give Levi's sherpa-jackets a chance and check it and try it on.

So, I checked their normal, bright "Buckman" sherpa-jacket and I was really astonished, that the build-quality of this jacket is so much better than on their crappy basic Denim-jackets!

And this sherpa-jacket even got a single inner-pocket, which isn't mentioned on the internet. :)

I tried it on and it's regular slim-fit seems to be absolutely correct on my body (size M). The sleeve-length was correct, too. Not too long, not too short. Seems to be a correct "M", like on my good storebrand type III-denim jacket.

Last edited:
Some of them have a denim inner-pocket. None of mine ever did. Was wearing mine again this morning drinking coffee with the wife on the back deck. Just a nice jacket to toss on when it's cold and relax. Everyone should have one!

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Waaaaay back in the day I used to wear a Levis sherpa jacket when I rode my dirt bike to high school in Nevada. Temps got down to about 20 degrees F during winter (sometimes lower) out in the middle of the Mojave desert, and the jacket was fine with a light sweater underneath. Matter of fact, it was the heaviest jacket I ever wore out there!

But then again, I was young and my nervous system was probably underdeveloped. :)

Last edited:
@ButteMT61
And I would bet, in an "old-fashioned" german winter, maybe -10°Celsius or more, this sherpa-jacket would be absolutely sufficient warm for myself.

Like on every spring, autumn and winter, I weared the classic undershirt and my usual cotton turtleneck-pullover under my winterjacket, today. And when I tried the sherpa-jacket on, closed it completely and set the waist-straps on narrow, some seconds later I felt the warmness, believe me. Woohoo, integrated jacket-heater... ;)

And of course, the jacket got the usual type III-slim fit, so the sherpa-lining "compresses", additonal. ;)

HA, that "could" be me, the next days, but I would wear a winter-knitcap, additional:

1477323881-58140600.jpg

;)

But, it's abolutely curious!

Yesterday, I realized, that I REALLY can't remember, that I ever seen a person with a Denim-sherpa jacket or a Cord-sherpa jacket, here in the middle of Germany!! I though about the 90's, with so much Denim, but I never saw a man with such a jacket, here, around wintertime. Masses of basic Denim-jackets, but never a sherpa.

It seems, that just no one buys sherpa-jackets, here in Thuringia.

Even, in the city of the next bigger town (210.000 people), you can't see any sherpa walking around! o_O

Seems, that the adults are avoiding the sherpas and the kids probably don't like it.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
A lot of working class lads used to wear them in the UK back in the 80's but I think they look cheap & old fashioned to today's eyes which is prehaps why you see less of them. They just aren't stylish enough for modern tastes, leastwise in Europe.

A lot of working class lads used to wear them in the UK back in the 80's but I think they look cheap & old fashioned to today's eyes which is prehaps why you see less of them. They just aren't stylish enough for modern tastes, leastwise in Europe.

Yeah, I think, you are right. That's the general thing on classic bright-blue denim jackets, here in Germany. Since the 90's, it got more and more this negative seen "proletarian-precarious" aura.

The classic "downgrade" of fashion.

Last edited:
The fur always looks fake and gets stained quickly and easily. There's always that wondrous yellow shade going on around the neck. If it wasn't this white, perhaps... Otherwise, I like them. Denim jackets were always popular in Europe but these fleece lined ones never truly hit the market. That's the only reason you don't see them. I'm sure people would wear them otherwise 'cause it's just a warmer trucker jacket so what's there not to like? Now that they've fallen out of fashion again, I mostly see trucker jackets on people from the more rural parts, used as a work clothes alternative. Always in a double denim combo.

Women seem to have settled with that parka with a blindingly bright, hot pink fur hood.

barnabus

One Too Many
I have a borg*-collared trucker jacket, which I love but hardly wear. It's nothing remarkable, just from Gap - but it's a terrific warm option when it's dry. I disappoint myself when I think about how little I reach for it when I head out, but it always feels like the less versatile option when my Barbour Drover is hanging on the next hook by the door (also a trucker style, but in heavy waxed cotton with a leather collar). Just as warm, but water resistant, unlike the denim.

*fake shearling fur

I can't speak for Europe, but like I've said, here in La-La Land™, they are everywhere.
I knew when I threw a B-day party for my son and there were four of us wearing them (aged 16-55) we had something that was timeless.
The "fur" is acrylic, and won't really "yellow" unless you never wash it. Mine looks white and new, and it's 30+ years old.
I've seen some grubby looking ones, but a hot wash would take care of that asap.

I've noticed them and the corduroy versions on TV a lot lately too. I in no way feel "outdated" wearing mine here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot