Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip flops in the white house.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Don't blame me! I haven't owned a pair of flip flops since I was about 8. :)

I hate this trend, which is extremely popular where I live because of the very hot weather and ultra casual attitude. But wearing them to meet the president? I was horrifed to see women wearing flip flops to the theatre (how could you possibly think that these go with a dressy skirt and blouse???), and I always cringe when I see people wear them at work in office settings.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"There are a lot of men wearing flip flops to everything. I see them all the time at work."
This is a nasty phenomenon. Men's feet should NEVER be on display! NO ONE wants to see that!!
flat-top

Michael D

Familiar Face
Amen Brother!

You'll get no argument on that from me.

I'm disturbed that my adult sons wear sandals of various types. At least they don't wear them to Church. Thank Heaven! ;)

Mike

D

Deleted member 259

I'll wear them around the house, to the beach, on the lawn, and for your various *quick run activities.
But never ever as formal wear.

MissTayva

I LOATHE flip flops. Don't even get me started!
I think it's way disrespectful that they dressed that way to the White House.

fifi

Familiar Face
What has this world come to?! Then again, in L.A. many people can't even be bothered to change out of their jammies and brush their hair before going to a restaurant. I wouldn't be caught dead in flip-flops...I think they're horrible looking. Maybe we should send condolences to the poor mothers who had to be saddled with such uncouth daughters.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
While searching the various news channels' websites for information on something entirely different, I came across this on Fox News, and just had to respond.

Here's the article:

Strakalogue: Grrr! Flip-Flop Flap

I just had to respond, and here is the email I sent:

"Sir,

"Casual dressing is a pox on our society. Our society has lost civility, manners, and the remotest hint of personal responsibility ever since the 1950s and 1960s, and the decline in proper attire is only one symptom of the problem. Young people should be taught proper attire for each situation, but alas, their Baby Boomer parents have no clue, either. This is because they choose the mantra of "comfort" over belonging to a polite society, a sure sign of the selfishness that pervades our nation. Their choice in footwear is disrespectful of the office of the president, and is not acceptable, as you said, because they consider President Bush to be accessible. They simply don't know how to dress respectfully.

"When I go out to a nice restaurant and pay $30 or more for a plate, I don't wish to sit near someone who is wearing shorts, his "best" t-shirt, and sandals. Sadly, this happens all too often, and it shows that the person does not have enough respect for that restaurant to present themselves in a respectable manner. That lack of respect reflects directly on back on themselves. Whatever happened to dress codes? They need to be reinstated and enforced. A properly-attired society is the sign of a healthy, moral, and most importantly, responsible society."

Brad

hatflick1

Practically Family
Flip Flop Flap

I wear a pair of Ho Chi' s brought back from Viet Nam around the house and back yard. Many of us GI's had them even though we were not supposed to as rumor among the brass was they were made in the north. They were fashioned from recycled tires. Probably from our jeeps and trucks.
I would not think of wearing them out to shop or socialize. What's next, paper hospital slippers? Maybe the gown that ties in the back?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My wife always comments on the number of people that come into the store wearing fuzzy house slippers and pajamas. I just don't understand how people can think that's acceptable.

I like your family story, Bob. Just goes to show, you can be poor and still look good, as opposed to spending 300 bucks on an outfit that looks like it's ready for the trash.

Brad

FlapperRen

New in Town
You know, I think it's one thing to praise fashion, dignity, and respect; but it is entirely different not to change with the times. I consider myself an extremely well-dressed, fashionable, intelligent person, but I just don't see where flip flops are such a big deal. I have a military background and understand the "shower shoe" issue, but it seems to me too many just can't accept something new. Who knows, maybe 60 years from now someone will be paying $500 for my "flip-flops" like I would a pair of 40's slingbacks- nothing wrong with that ;)

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
There are some things that one does not do...period. Wearing flips to see the president is one of those things. Again , PERIOD. A child the age of the girl in question should know that if she had been raised properly. The mother should have dressed the girl, again PERIOD. There are protocals for acceptable behaviors and attires for crying out loud. Yeah, styles and fashions change, but real class, I mean learned class and reasonable values do not. To me it's not even remotely within the realm of reason to think for one moment that flip flops would be acceptable to meet the President, or Pope or City Mayor, or Dog Catcher for that matter.

Children are a reflection of their parents.

Feraud

Bartender
The story of the girls meeting the President of the United States is not a question of "the times they are a changin'".

Fashion changes but respect and good manners should not! Fashion is a joke anyhow....

I am dismayed at the fact that the White House let these girls meet the President while they were inappropriatly dressed. I would have curtly told them that it is unacceptable as the president is not greeting you in Bermuda shorts and a "wife beater" t-shirt! The parents of those girls should be ashamed of themselves.

Does part of the blame belong to The White House Administration? Foolish kids make mistakes, it is the responsiblilities of the grown ups to correct them.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
The parents of those girls should be ashamed of themselves.
Oh I'm sure they were. But (some of) the parents probably weren't there and those that weren't there obviously didn't have a say in the matter. I'd think that the coach (if he/she was there) should have said something. There's a time and place for everything, and wearing flip flops to meet the president, I agree, was uncalled for. Wearing flip flops to wash your car or when dressing casually, that's another story.

Feraud

Bartender
ITG said:
There's a time and place for everything, and wearing flip flops to meet the president, I agree, was uncalled for. Wearing flip flops to wash your car or when dressing casually, that's another story.
That is exactly my point, ITG!
Funny you mention wearing flip-flops washing the car. I did just that this weekend.

But to meet the President of the U.S. or other country? I think not.

That is not 'changing fashions', it is just plain stupid.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Feraud,

My dad has had his van parked at my house while he's been in the Philippines for 2 months and some punks egged it. So I wore flip flops today when I washed the egg off of his car. That's some hard stuff to get off of there. I guess it's just been a flip-flop-wearing-car-washing kind of weekend.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Lucky me, I have too much space between my first and second toe and have never been able to wear flip-flops, even years ago when they were called thong. They really do flip-flop on me -- right off my foot as soon as I lift it.

I also don't like wearing footwear that does not properly protect my feet, and most sandals do not. I have one pair of Ecco sandals that look like tractor tires. I would not wear them to the white house -- I would not go to the white house.

I think sometimes you see a "comfort backlast" that happens when people in a particular culture/society wear "fashionable" things that are downright uncomfortable. Back in the early 60's Italian pointed-toe shoes were the rage -- even women's sneakers were severely pointed. The result was, by the time I left college, most college gals were wearing boy's sneakers and high white socks to classes, not dressy heels or flats. A few years later, they were wearing hippy dresses and sandals. In the 70's, we were wearing heels again, but the big clumpy kind.

I cannot and will not wear heels. Not only have I had foot surgery because of those pointed-toe shoes in the 60's, but I would probably be walking on a cane or walker by now if I had tried to dress "fashionably."

I understand people wanting to wear something comfortable. A podiatrist told me that women's high heels made him, and his fellow foot doctors, wealthy. I don't think flip-flops are particularly sturdy or comfortable. The gals could have worn soft, low flats, like ballet slippers, if heels are not something they wanted to wear.

No one should be forced to wear damaging foot wear in the name of "fashion."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner