Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fox Creek Leather Appreciation Thread

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
OneEyeMan said:
Could somebody tell me about FCL's naked leather please?
Naked leather is very supple and has a soft, buttery feel right out of the box. It doesn't require any break-in at all. FCL leather is full-grain, so it has a nice, pebbly grain when new, but the grain tends to fade over the years, leaving a smooth, dull surface (at least, the fading is quite noticable on both my FCL jackets). FCL jackets tend to be heavyweight and are well-built... very rugged, and fit is true to modern sizing (FCL is not a vintage repro shop in any respect). Over the years, I've recieved many nice comments on my FCL jackets, and several inquiries from riders about where I got them.

OneEyeMan said:
Is it water resistant?
I haven't noticed any significant difference in water repellency between FCL and Vanson leathers.

OneEyeMan said:
If not, what product would you use to give it water resistance?
I hope someone else has an answer for that... I live in S. Arizona, so water resistance is not an issue. During summer monsoon season, I just carry an Aerostitch rain suit with me everywhere I go. I treat my cow and horse leathers with Lexol twice/year, but the real issues here are heat and UV, which damage the leather.

OneEyeMan said:
Are there any benefits to naked leather over the kind that Vanson uses?
The softness and suppleness of naked leather make it slightly more comfortable, and the absence of a break-in period (if you consider that a benefit). Otherwise, the advantages/disadvantages of naked leather are entirely aesthetic and subject to personal preference. Objectively, naked leather isn't really better or worse... it's just different, and it's a difference you may (or may not) like.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Is it water resistant?
Thanks all.
Lenny

While the Fox Creek naked leather is very soft and pliable brand new, it does feel very tough and has a smooth finish that repels water to a certain extent. The folks at Fox Creek said not to worry if I get caught in the rain wearing the jacket and that it does not need to get treated right away as it should hold up fine against rain, but down the road they do recommend treating it with all-natural leather oil (no synthetics!) to help keep the jacket naturally water repellent. They recommend the following: http://www.foxcreekleather.com/accessories_leathercare

53Effie

A-List Customer
Fox Creek Chaps are on my Christmas list this year. I am glad to hear an opinion from someone who rides a lot. Which model do you have Peacoat?

Peacoat

Bartender
I didn't remember that they have more than one model. I just went to their website to see what they have, and I got the unlined, non braided chaps. The ones for $198. I originally got the tall version, but they were too long and I exchanged them for the regulars, which are plenty long, even for long legs like mine. They are really nice chaps.

Last edited:

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
And let's not forget Fox Creek chaps. They are the best and most comfortable I have ever worn.

I couldn't agree more. I have 2 pair of FCL chaps (lined and unlined) and have worn them every day during the winter months from November to March for a whole bunch of years (not really sure how many).

Where riding gear is concerned, I've discovered that it's usually worth the money to upgrade to high-end manufacturers like Langlitz, but FCL chaps are so good I've never felt the least inclination to upgrade to anything else. Tough, warm, comfortable, and great fit.

Peacoat

Bartender
So, do you find the lined chaps to be warmer than the unlined. Although I guess in Southern Arizona, it really doesn't make much difference. Now Falstaff, that might make a difference. I imagine they actually winter up there.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
So, do you find the lined chaps to be warmer than the unlined. Although I guess in Southern Arizona, it really doesn't make much difference. Now Falstaff, that might make a difference. I imagine they actually winter up there.

You're right... temps below 30F are uncommon here, but I'm acclimated to 110+ summers, so I have no tolerance for anything below 70 :eek:. The lined chaps are quite a bit warmer; so much so that I usually remove the lining for the afternoon commute home when temps have risen into the 60s or 70s. I do prefer the unlined chaps simply because the lining necessarily makes the chaps thicker and stiffer in the knees. The unlined chaps are warm enough most of the time, even in the morning. If there's any question what you need, I'd buy the lined chaps. If you discover you don't need the liner, just take them out and leave them out.

As you've already pointed out, an excellent product, and I don't know of anything better for the money. Also great people with great customer service; always quick and pleasant.

garzo

One of the Regulars
53Effie,

I read you also own a Fox Creek Leather Jean Jacket. I purchased a Grayson jacket a while a go that I love but also really like the look of that jean-style jacket. I put armor in the Grayson and so far I've only used it for riding. Obviously I can always remove the armor and wear the jacket for non-riding purposes, but I like convincing myself that it's worth having a second Fox Creek jacket, one without armor that would be good to both ride in and wear out when not on the bike. The advantages of living in cold climate like Germany is that one can always find excuses for more jackets!
Anyway, how do you like the FC jean jacket? After years of having military and motorbike jackets, I think it's time for another style and there's something that really catches my eye about the Jean Jacket. I like that it's all snaps, no zipper, the classic look and the many pockets.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Hello Garzo,
I like the FCL jeans jacket really well. It is heavy, fits nicely, and seems to be very good quality. It can certainly be used as a bike jacket but the lack of a zipper makes it a little airish in cold weather. I wear it more as a casual jacket and that was my intention when I purchased it, but it can be used for both purposes. It gets my recommendation. Very good customer service and help with sizing from FCL too. That is a real plus with me.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Is it water resistant?
Thanks all.
Lenny

I haven't been caught in the rain with my Foxcreek, so I don't know if it is water resistant. If it is not, Pecard will make it that way.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Hello all. I received a new FCL Vented Racing Jacket at the end of last week. I purchased it mainly as a riding jacket, but I have been wearing it otherwise a bit too just because it feels good. I really like it. It weighs about 7.5 lbs...heaviest jacket I own. I've had it on the bike in some cold, windy weather a couple of times thus far (30 deg F once) and it has performed very well keeping me warm with just a light sweater and t-shirt underneath. With this jacket and the FCL chaps I got for Christmas, I feel really well protected and I like that a lot. As usual the staff at FCL were very helpful with sizing advice. My FCL Jeans Jacket is a 42, but they recommended going up to a 44 for the VRJ and they were right on. It is cut a little slimmer. I think I could have worn a 42 over a t-shirt or light shirt, but I am interested in being able to wear a sweater/sweatshirt at times so the 44 is a better choice without being too large. As you can tell, I am very pleased with this new jacket as well at the other FCL gear I own.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello all. I received a new FCL Vented Racing Jacket at the end of last week. I purchased it mainly as a riding jacket, but I have been wearing it otherwise a bit too just because it feels good. I really like it. It weighs about 7.5 lbs...heaviest jacket I own. I've had it on the bike in some cold, windy weather a couple of times thus far (30 deg F once) and it has performed very well keeping me warm with just a light sweater and t-shirt underneath. With this jacket and the FCL chaps I got for Christmas, I feel really well protected and I like that a lot. As usual the staff at FCL were very helpful with sizing advice. My FCL Jeans Jacket is a 42, but they recommended going up to a 44 for the VRJ and they were right on. It is cut a little slimmer. I think I could have worn a 42 over a t-shirt or light shirt, but I am interested in being able to wear a sweater/sweatshirt at times so the 44 is a better choice without being too large. As you can tell, I am very pleased with this new jacket as well at the other FCL gear I own.

I wore mine today (vented Bomber) with the liner and a light sweater. The fit was snug, but comfortable. I normally wear a size 42 with a 42" chest. FCL recommended a 44, so I ordered and received that size jacket. Had to send it back for a 46 as it was just too tight. Couldn't wear it with the liner at all. The 46 is a snug good fit, with or without the liner, and is high quality. I also have their chaps, and they are excellent. Much easier to wear and higher quality than the chaps I had before.

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
Good day for FCL, I also wore one today, a jeans jacket, also a 42 (which I am). Fits well over a heavy flannel work shirt.

CR141

Familiar Face
I have the Grayson and can honestly say it's a heavy and very well made jacket. I originally ordered a 44 and it was way too snug. I called them and explained the problem. They agreed to send me the 46 even before I sent the 44 back to them so I could compare both of them. I promptly returned the 44. Now that's great customer service.

Regards
Bob

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I've a Grayson for sale, sz 42. Indeed they are sized a bit small hence why I'm throwing it back on ebay soon. If anyone's interested, feel free to make an offer. Asking 200. PM me if interested if you want a first shot at it before it goes in the classifieds or on the bay.

GMS

New in Town
Just to add to this thread a bit: I should be getting my first FCL jacket delivered this week. I ended up going with the Vented Reflector jacket. It was between that and the Grayson, and I liked the extra reflective piping on the Vented Reflector for riding in low visibility times, and I think it had a style still very similar to the Grayson.

Hopefully I got the correct size after reading through this thread a little, we'll see how it goes once it is delivered. I'll try to post a pic once I receive it.

ETA: Jacket was waiting at home after work, but I ended up having to send it back for an exchange. I have somewhat broader shoulders, and while it did fit around the chest/stomach very nicely, I needed one more size up to be able to move my arms much past parallel to the ground, and for riding a motorcycle, that's pretty important. The jacket was of amazing quality though, so much so that I had to try it on about 5 different times just to be sure it was too small, lol.

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good deal. Looking forward to pics. I don't think you will be disappointed. They are very nice jackets.

Trickster

New in Town
I have acquired 3 Fox Creek leather jackets.
Yes, I see that this is a dead thread, but like Lazarus, it lives again.

All 3 are size 46 and fit perfectly. The first one is a Classic I, the second is an older Classic II, no sleeve vents oddly enough. The third is a current version of the Classic II. Can accept armor. All purchased pre-owned off of eBay and none more than $300.

Not the only leather jackets that own, but some of the nicest and best suited to motorcycle riding gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner