Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral Fedoras?

Warlock

Suspended
Yesterday I was hanging out at the local Christan supply store (Others have bars, that is my hangout.) and a minister of my acquaintance came in. He had performed a funeral service service earlier. We talked some shop and he asked me the oddest thing, I suppose because I almost always have a hat on when he sees me. He asked if I wanted to be buried wearing a hat. My reply was that I planned to be cremated. Not giving up, he asked if I would be wearing the hat for that event. I hope not, but I expect to have little control over that happening.

I have never seen anyone encoffined with a hat. I cannot imagine how it would be done. But I have a vague sense of seeing it in an old movie. Does anyone know of any such real or cinematic (reel) event?

It seems like a waste of a good hat to me.

dnjan

One Too Many
I assume that if a gentleman insisted on being buried with his hat, it would be set on his chest in the casket.

Warlock

Suspended
Don, I believe that you have hit on that elusive movie recollection. I believe that is exactly the case, and that the deceased was posed with his hands holding the hat. For some reason I am thinking English banker and a black bowler...

Warlock

Suspended
Baron, I could go with the giant wicker fedora idea. It would make a fine spectacle for a wake, with marshmallows and roasting sticks supplied.

Sorry, the woods are on fire hereabouts and the smoke is making me a bit loopy.

RBH

Bartender
dnjan said:
I assume that if a gentleman insisted on being buried with his hat, it would be set on his chest in the casket.

This is the way I have seen it done many times.

Also my grandmother was pretty well known {in our area}for wearing a 'turtle shell' sun helmet while working in her garden. When she passed I place one of her hats in the casket with her.
It made me feel better.

R

Red Beard

"When I die Oh lord please bury me In my high top stetson hat.
Put gold coins over my eyelids So the boys will know I died standing pat "

From the classic American folk song St. James Infirmary.

For anybody interested in hearing a version of this tune, check out Snooks Eaglin's New Orleans Street Singer album. One of my all-time favorites. Anything from this album can be requested on www.weeniecampbell.com/juke/playing.php The best online radio station in you're into Pre-war Country Blues, Jazz or Ragtime. And isn't everybody?

I wouldn't mind being buried with a hat on my chest or with my hands holding one. In fact, I think it'd be down right classy.

R

Red Beard

Or better yet, put the ashes IN the hat. You could even buy a few hats for the price of the urn.;) I guess that wouldn't help you, as it sounds like you've already bought one.

:eek:fftopic: I know it's not unusual, but I've always thought it would be a little strange to own my own urn, headstone or casket.[huh]

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We get some customers in our stores that are Gypsies . Their custom is to bury a person in a hat . Unfortunately , we also some some younger urban kids who have met with an untimely death who also like to be buried in a hat as well.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Hondo

One Too Many
RBH said:
This is the way I have seen it done many times.

Also my grandmother was pretty well known {in our area}for wearing a 'turtle shell' sun helmet while working in her garden. When she passed I place one of her hats in the casket with her.
It made me feel better.

Awww... thats heart felt, better indeed. :)

As for myself, If I'm still alive, I'll give all my hats to family's children, ask that they take care of it, then I'll just take one cap/hat I always worn and be cinemated with it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner