Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

Bryan Cranston, reprising his stage role as LBJ on HBO this weekend in "All the Way".

This looks like an off-the-shelf modern Open Road, distressed by the wardrobe people. I'll probably watch it because it's getting good reviews, but I'll have to work to put aside 1) the memory of the larger-than-life persona of LBJ, 2) the memory of Bryan Cranston as Walter White (and farther back, as Hal the father in Malcolm in the Middle and Dr. Tim Whatley on Seinfeld), 3) the more-than-likely bad Texas accent, and 4) the hat.

20ALL-blog427_zpsrycz7sun.jpg

g., I'm with you. Plus at 5' 11", it's going to take more than the heels of his cowboy boots to make him appear 6' 4".

That too, Greg. Maybe I won't watch it.

g., I recorded it and watched it today. Not much hat action but I think you were spot on about what little was shown. Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The accent wasn't overdone, and his look and mannerisms captured LBJ pretty well. It was obvious they made the most of camera angles to disguise the height differential. The crudeness and contradictions of Johnson were captured pretty well, at least in line with most things I've read about him. As a child during his presidency, growing up here, I still remember some of the discussions the adults had about him at the time. My father hated him and what he did with the civil rights bill. Nothing would have made him happier than to have George Wallace elected president.

The first half was much more compelling than the second but it reminded me of the hell he went through to get the nomination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner