Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather

majormajor

One Too Many
"Ok, we're all here. Somebody knock on Ken's door".........

marlonbrandowildone.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
...but nobody is coming in until those exaggerated turn ups have been hemmed properly...
...and you're going to take somebody's eye out with that hat..

Qinhan

Familiar Face
Steering this thread back on track...

This is my new Himel Brothers Canuck Jacket in black oil tanned horsehide. I'm a big fan of David Himel's work and can't tell you how excited I was to receive this jacket. The style is derived from an old work jacket which David picked up made by the long-defunct "W. Shanhouse and Sons" company. For me it epitomises old-school practicality mixed with understated cool. Please find my pictorial review below:

IMG_3583_zpsca9a8c26.jpg

IMG_3600_zps38628ae1.jpg

IMG_3586_zpsb8669dfa.jpg

I picked the burgundy wool liner and was pleasantly surprised at how soft and non-scratchy it is. I also really like some of the details on this jacket such as how the collar and the adjustment tabs are wool-lined on their reverse side. Other nice touches include corduroy around the armpits and black cotton drill in the arms.

IMG_3617_zpsc653736b.jpg

c6692094-11af-4b76-bab0-60f0b3fcf93b_zpsbce041a5.jpg

IMG_3589_zps2f5ae903.jpg

IMG_3588_zpsd020b90c.jpg

IMG_3587_zpsa451504b.jpg

Qinhan

Familiar Face
The quality of the stitchwork on this jacket is amazing. I've got a bunch of leather jackets made by Japanese and Western companies and was just blown away by the attention to detail. Buttons, by the way, are vintage melamine.

IMG_3596_zpsb2ce8bf4.jpg

IMG_3594_zps2d80cd36.jpg

IMG_3591_zps6dfa7584.jpg

Of course, this beauty is proudly made in Canada and comes with a cool union tag...

IMG_3590_zpsb03bdbf5.jpg

My (very limited) photo skills always desert me when taking timer shots of myself so apologies about the quality of these fit pics...

f542d807-98e3-47c1-adc4-e5a6d84a8041_zps9acd62b9.jpg

befbe6ee-9649-4de5-b137-c28a119cda3c_zps411a40c2.jpg

Thanks for looking! Now feel free to go back to using this thread to make arrangements for your weekend BBQ or whatever. :)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking jacket, great fit and really nice details. Particularly like the way it flares out towards the bottom.

767fo

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket. I am also very pleased with the wool lining. It is very soft and I was surprised at how thick is was. Enjoy!!!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wow!, great coat, unique and very cool. You are not likely to see anyone else's wearing one of those. Great choice all around.

So, I've been drooling over the Heron for awhile, and yesterday I made my way over to Self Edge to see one in person. There's no doubt in my mind that it is a quality jacket, but that said, I won't be buying one from the store. Maybe it was the brown color which to me was a bit blah, or maybe I bought into a vision of what it might look like on... My initial thought was that it was too short despite an explanation from the clerk that it's supposed to be a vintage fit. Then when I looked in the mirror, it looked pretty boxy- again, not what I'd imagined. I really admire DH's craftsmanship and approach, and if I ever were to get a jacket of his, I'd definitely go custom through him. I'm really glad I got to try it on because otherwise I'd be obsessing for another 2 years. Thanks for the tip off guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo