Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many leather jackets do you own!?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I'm just curious if I'm mad, because I own 12 leather jackets:

8 aero's (all custom made besides from A2):
Highwayman FQHH, antique brown
Highwayman FQHH, black
Highwayman Buffalo, black
Stockman FQHH, brown
Stockman FQHH, black
Six-Pocket Steerhide, tan
A2 Indian Goatskin, seal
King of Road FQHH, black

other are
LL Bean
Californian
Stewart Leather
Vanson

but sadly I'm only able to wear one at time :eusa_doh:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Current collection

Repro A2

ELC .50 Cal size 42
ELC RW 1401p size 42

Original A2s

Rough Wear 1401p size 42
Rough Wear 23380 size 42 (nr mint) CBI ATC
United Sheeplined 42-18777-P size 42
Perry 42-16175-P size 44
Star 42-18245-P size 42
Aero ac21996 size 44
Poughkeepsie ac28560 size 44
David D Doniger 42-21539-P size 42
No Name 42-18246-P size 44

Naval
Block AN 6552

original B3s

H. Bernstein size 42 (duo tone)
42-21700p (1942, two tone)
Rough Wear 42-5111 size 42 (duo tone)

Repro B3
ELC RW Redskin size 42

Irvins

1933 by Irvin air Chute-size 5
1938 by Irvin Air Chute-size 6
1939 contract by Irvin Air Chute - size 6
1940 by DGL-size 6
1941 by Wareings-size 6
1941-2 black fleece, possibly by IAC size 5
1941-2 Irvin size 6
1943-4 multipanelled Irvin by Links

ELC 1942 pattern Irvin-size 42

ELC B-15 size 44

1940s horsehide half belt, russet, size 44

John G

New in Town
How many

Most are Aero replicas - I'm 6 ft 5ins tall and 220 lbs so originals just won't work for me - but here's the list:

Barnstormer FQHH (brown)

Mariner FQHH with wool shawl collar (brown)

Longshoreman (brown)

1930s Cossack (brown)

D1

Modified A2 with a mouton collar in oil pull HH

Real Deal A2

B-3 with seal brown facings

Aero's pre-war RAF flying jacket (I think this was the one that Spitfire ordered and sent back to Aero. It is labelled a 52" chest and I had to remove 3" from the body and 4" from the sleeves to make it fit. However, the body fits more like a 48").

Finally, an Eastman RW B-3.

I've also got a couple of original 60s civilian jackets that are way too small but I keep them because I like them.

I want to add an Eastman RAF jacket to the collection next.
J

N2S3

New in Town
Own 3 leatherjackets:

1 Irvin replica (24 years)
1 Wings Indyjacket (1 year)
1 cheap no-name A2 (1 year)

wearing the Indyjacket alldays, Irvin only with temperatures down zero. A2 will be found soon in the bay, has turned out a waste of money...

JanSolo

Practically Family
Looks like..18+.
Aero "Bristol" B6 repro
Aero RealDeal russet HH A2 repro
Aero seal HH A2 repro
Aero seal Buffalo/spun silk lining A2 repro

Original Aero russet A2
'68 Martin Lane G1

Aero Highwayman/alpaca lining brown HH
Aero Longshoreman black/shearling HH
Aero '30s HalfBelt vintage brown HH/Donegal tweed lining
Aero '30s HalfBelt antique steer/hvy plaid blanket lining
Aero '30s HalfBelt oil pull steer/brown twill lining
Aero "Levi" '30s type Biker jacket vintage black HH/satin lining

Schott retro '30s black HH MC jacket/quilted irredescant lining
Pack-in Cafe type MC jacket('60s")brown steer/satin lining

Harley Davidson 100th Ann MC jacket black steer
HD 100th Ann black steer vest
HD Cafe MC jacket black steer

Lake Of the Woods '50s brown HH Flight Jacket
..and probably a few more.
HD

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
According to my wife: Too many!
But she's still got more shoes than I have leatherjackets.;)
(3 A2's, One ALC Irvin and one more Irvin under way...nothing!)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
:eek: ... it seems I'm not the 'madest' at all! lol

Very interesting how many people owns a lot of nice quality leather jackets. Of course, most members in this forum are leather jacket addicted. I'm meaning this in a positive way... because life is too short...

Thanks a lot to let me know your content of your wardrobe, Harry

All of mine are vintage pieces:

1950s brown American horsehide with mouton collar

1930s/1940s goatskin halfbelt

1950s German motorcycle jacket; probably horsehide; too big for me, will sell soon

1950s German trapper-style, lightish orangey brown

1950s German police trench

1942 dated British military jerkin

1930s suede motorcycle jacket - too small, now property of Baroness K.

1940s (i think) Italian black

mid-war Coastal Command Irvin

mid-war Irvin (normal collar), under renovation by self

Late edit: how could i forget a 1943 B-3 being renovated by self

Most recent purchase is a short motorcycle-type jacket with collar insignia, currently unidentified, but probably French Compagnie du Train. The jacket is certainly 1930s. It is most like a jacket i've seen in an illustration of a French tank driver. I'm still researching this jacket.

bk

H.Johnson

One Too Many
C'est formidable! C'est un blouson du char, n'est pas?

Baron Kurtz said:
Most recent purchase is a short motorcycle-type jacket with collar insignia, currently unidentified, but probably French Compagnie du Train. The jacket is certainly 1930s. It is most like a jacket i've seen in an illustration of a French tank driver. I'm still researching this jacket.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted

2 LaMatta
1 Gimo's
4 Hermès
3 Seraphin
1 Gallotti
4 Sulka
1 Finnish maker whose name I don't recall

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
This is a great thread! I feel much better. I "only" have maybe six and three of those are just black motorcycle jackets. I have one A-2 Aero that I just bought used.
This means I am forced to do some additional collecting - in the interest of getting my numbers up to a respectable average. :D

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
tOO maNY

but i'm clearin' the ones out i don't wear...if anyone's interested...a number of folks on the fedLounge here have purchased some nice jackets from me, can give references...

so giVe in to your oBsessions, if you're anywhere near my size there are a cornucopia of jackets to buy...don't let that credit card sit iDLe! a few:

several rEAL (meaning govt contract milspec) rare schott a-2s, too small for my 44-46 frame...i think i have one at size 42, and a small 44...they made these miLitarily short...barely 25"

a johnson leather (ittttttt's niccccccccce!) g-2...that's right...fully milspec to whatever ones of this rare jacket were made in 1943-44...has a distressed leather finish...and there are hidden side pocket openings...has the windflap, the g-2 biswing back, and the a-2 style front...and aero/Lewis quality...it's johnson leather of s.f.--fits a nice size 44 frame

a uswings (made by cooper) raRE u.s. coast guard issue (yes, stencil punched on the windfLap) g-1...because it was for the coast guard, military spex allowed this model to have the hidden side opening pockets, since the jacket is used on boat mainly...aBsoLutely not a civvi model...uscg milspec issue...size 46 long, which basically fits a good size 44, up to a 46, with a 28" collar to hem in the back length...barely worn...like, several times

several cooper a-2s...yeah, those, the famous milspec ones...rather thin but stylish goat...a 44 and 46 reg...both maybe a tadpole over 25" long...the 46 maybe 25 1/2"...both fit my large 44 size frame, the 46 a little bit more relaxed...both in superb shape

guLp...a spiewak legit milspec a-2 from the golden post ww2 age of a-2s...in very good shape...only thing to mention is a little spot of wear on the tip of one shoulder that shows it's been on a guY! liner and the rest in very very good shape...nice thick goatskin, fits a 44 decently, and is a 46 (small, milspec sizing)

and alas, a uswings g-2...this one has button down collar, no windflap, looks sharp, great kickaround jacket...size large, fits 44, possibly 46...say kickaround jacket even though i've never worn it, because it doesn't have the windflap, so not what i'd call truly milspec, though i understand some of these may have been made without a windflap...but zipped, who can tell?

and a really nice cockpit usa current milspec a-2...in near new shape, just a little break in on the leather, but leather, and everything, in a-1 condition (not like in the a-1 jacket...like in the sauce, a-1 sauce...top of the line...neverrr mind!)...size 44 long, can fit a 44 to 46

that's all in the mil jackets...well, not quite all, but all i'll harass you all with

help me buy my poor cat kitty litter this Christmas, and buy some of these from me...i guarantee you will be surprised by the prices...for exact inch counts and other info, just e me

merry Christmas you compuLsive spenderZ!

Edward

Bartender
I cleared out a couple old ones recently - contemporary and 80s black and wine cafe racer styles, respectively. Nice jackets, but just didn't ork with my wardrobe these days. Presently I have:

Traditional, Brando style, black leather mc - cheap steerhide model. I'd like eventually to replace this with an Aero equivalent, but for a cheap jacket this one is wearing remarkably well six years on from purchase. Certainly looks the part.

Aero AN6552 - bought used from a collector who never wore it, via eBay last April. My first repro WW2 era spec military jacket.

Lost Worlds B3 - acquired from our own John Lever. Wearing it today - beautiful jacket.

Vintage (possibly 40s?) black leather trenchcoat, I suspect horse. I bought this one years ago (1999) in Camden's Stables Market, not long after first moving to London. A reminder of a time when Camden was still Camden!

Leather blazer, bought new in 1975 by my mother for my Dad for the then serious sum of £50. Never worn, it passed to me when I was about 19. I wore it a lot at one point (though always looked after it). It is still in excellent condition. I don't wear it much at all, not for some years now, but it's not one I would part with.

Next will most likely be an A2, though on the wants list I also have an Aero 30s half belt in black, one in brown, and a customised Barnstormer (essentially a knee-length version of the normal design).

SGB

One of the Regulars
Never too many unless you live in the desert....

Probably about 30 or more, too lazy to count. Down from over 100 a few years ago. Been selling some recently.

SGB

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Current leather :

WPG Irvin

2003 ELC 1401 russet A2

1985 A2 Replica manufacturer unknown

2008 Amelia Earhart Replica Filght jacket by Belstaff ( used it as a double in the soon to be released movie "Amelia")

qty2 B type flying helmets with goggles ( all original)

Replica Amelia Earhart flying helmet ( also from the movie)

Current Cloth:

1936 Pattern Sidcot Suit ( bieige)

1936 Pattern Sidcot Suit ( blue)

1942 Pattern Deacon Winter Flying Suit (beige)

1954 Pattern RCAF Flight Suit ( blue )

icecold

One of the Regulars
Being new to the addiction, I only have two (for now):

Gibson-Barnes Indy/Expedition jacket
Aero 30's halfbelt slim fit

the indy jacket (if they get their act together and send me a replacement in smaller size to their ridiculously oversized cuts..) is in good, solid goatskin. Love it. If they don't pull their act together, I'll go with a Wested instead.

The aero 30's halfbelt Amazing jacket, and arguably the most stylish jacket I've ever seen in terms of cut. Very slim though. I consider myself in a pretty good athletic/slim shape, but even so I had some trouble squeezing in out of the box. But, it is loosening up and after a little wear, it looks hotttt (there's been a sharp increase in the number of girls who chat me up since I started wearing this baaad boy).

so the awesomness of the 30's halfbelt quelled the urgency to buy new jackets for a (short) while, but we all know that it is inevitable. I'll probably get an aero A-2, but I also very much like the Californian in jerky buffalo hide, i think it looks amazing:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=42&prodid=569

Creeping Past

One Too Many
And I beat BB. None.

Given the state of play here, perhaps the question should have been, "How many leather jackets do you want?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran