Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Installing Wind Cords

Stoney

Practically Family
I've been asked to post some tips for installing wind cords. I'm not really a subject matter expert, but can pass on how I do this at home. If anyone has anything more to add, or modify, to this procedure please feel welcome to do so.

I use stretchrite beading cord for all of my new and replacement wind trolleys.
The elastic provides a shock line effect if the hat is actually blown off when the cord is being used , much like shock lines used by rock climbers. The size of the cord is correct for a wind trolley, it can be colored or dyed to match the hat ribbon and the elastic provides a snug fit that does not droop after it is installed.

Cord.jpg

Of course this is the black variety. use the same type of cord in white if you are doing colors other than black. I use RIT dye to color the elastic cord. You can also use fabric markers , thanks for the tip Spatterdash , although they will not get down into the grooves of the elastic as easily as dye so you have to go over the cord more than once to get complete coverage.

The following cords were all colored using dark brown RIT brand dye. For very light colors you can just soak the cord in cold dye or, place the dye in a glass and microwave for 5 minutes for a slightly darker shade. For medium and dark shades you need to simmer the cord in a pan full of dye for 30 seconds , for light to medium, and up to an hour for a very dark shade.

Cord-Colors.jpg

The next step is the button for the cord. You can use a plain or fancy shank back button like this one.

Mercury.jpg

A faux pearl snap button for a western shirt makes an interesting button and can be crimped onto the cord using a pair of channel locks and a towel to prevent marring the finish. These are available in most any craft or fabric store.

Pearl-Button.jpg

The side view of the western shirt snap button.

Pearl-Side.jpg

The most commonly seen buttons are covered with a bit of matching ribbon fabric like this one from one of my vintage Borsalinos.

Front
Borso_Button_Front.jpg

and Back . Notice the nice finished back plate on this button.

Borso_Button_Back.jpg

Ribbon covered buttons are challenging to make, but it can be done in about 30 minutes. This is my method for making them.

Start with a plain shank back button fig 28. Cut a circular piece of ribbon as shown in fig 29 below, you need to make the circular cutout slightly larger since the Grosgrain ribbon will fray at the edges.

fabric-button.jpg

Sew a single thread all the way around the circular patch. Use the dot pattern shown in figure 29 above. You should have two ends of the thread coming out of the fabric from opposite directions when you are done.

Place the button in the center of the circular piece of fabric and pull both ends of the thread to enclose the button face in the fabric. as shown in fig 31. Tie off the thread so the cinch stays fairly tight.

At this point I sew all around the back of the button once again, just behind the back edge, and pull this thread tight in order to tighten the face of the fabric over the button. Once this thread is tight you need to glue the ribbon to the back of the button using superglue. It helps to press down on the ribbon using a round toothpick as the glue is applied. Work your way around the back side of the button with the superglue and toothpick. Once the glue has dried you can use an exacto knife or razor blade to trim off the excess fabric. the button should look something like this one.

Stoney

Practically Family
Front

New_button_front.jpg

and the back, Notice that the finish is not as nice as the Borsalino button above, but hey who is going to be looking at the back of this button anyway.

New_button_back.jpg

Note that a loop is made in front of all of these buttons and the cord is passed back through this loop before it is attached to the hat. The wind cords on my vintage hats appear to be sewn to the felt just under the ribbon. I'm not taking the ribbons off of them to verify this :eusa_doh:

I thought a better approach, for a functional rather than decorative wind trolley, was to terminate the cord inside the hat, so it could not easily come off. What good is a wind cord that lets the hat get away?

This is my method for attaching the cord inside the hat.
Thread the cord onto a large needle and place the needle through the hoop as shown below:

Needle-Through_loop.jpg

Flip the sweatband down before proceeding. Insert the needle under the bow and pull the cord into the hat.

NeedleInJPG.jpg

Once the cord is inside the hat lift the looped cord over and onto the hat.

OverandOn.jpg

place the cord just under the bottom edge of the ribbon , all the way around the hat and pull the cord from inside the hat until it is snug, but not overly tight.

pull-tight.jpg

Use a small thin button to terminate the cord inside the hat, just at the edge of the sweatband beeding. Select a button small enough that you will not feel it when it is installed under the sweatband.

button-inside.jpg

Tie off the button, glue the knot with superglue

Glue.jpg

and trim off the excess cord. Then pull the button tight against the beeding using the cord outside the hat.

Button-Tied.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Stoney, That is one of the most helpful do-it-yourself posts I have ever seen! Thank-you for taking the time to work it up and share it with us! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
It proved useful to me.

One day, soon I hope, I will show just how useful.
Stoney, you are a madman and a genius, and I am really glad for this tutorial.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stoney -- thanks a million for taking the time to put this tutorial together. Very useful, and much appreciated! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once Again.....

Great Tutorial Stoney.....you Da Man. :eusa_clap

PS. Just a thought on using the markers. You say it doesn't go into the grooves, how about stretching the cord out 1st, making it taught...then coloring it, you think that might help? [huh]

Zarniwoop

New in Town
I just got a Akubra Fedora on the weekend and lo and behold it had a hat chord. I had never used or seen one before. After a little research on the web I found this great thread and forum. Wikipedia on this page on Fedora's seems to refer to the wind chord as a "wind trolley". Anybody know the origin of such a useful device. I would love to see shots of people using there wind chord.
The usefullness of a wind chord reminds me of skirt lifters (see another one here).

Edward

Bartender
There are a coupel of threads on this from a year or so ago if you do a search - there were photos of one in use if you look on those. Definitely a useful device; when I can summon up the nerve, I may well follow these instructions to put one on my Feds - the only thing they lack, IMO!

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Just to add a bit to Stoney's fine tutorial, Dritz and others make kits for producing fabric-covered buttons where no sewing, knots or glue are required, and the metal button loop can be neatly removed before assembly using needle-nose pliers:

359599830.jpg

359599845.jpg

Finding grosgrain ribbon in matching colors can be difficult, but bias tape comes in a wide variety of colors and also dyes more uniformly than millinery ribbon for an exact match to a tough ribbon color:

359599860.jpg

And here are some home-installed wind cords...my wife really likes her horse fly Open Road ;):

359599780.jpg

359599794.jpg

359599804.jpg

359599876.jpg

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Glorious!

Very helpful. Thank you very much for posting this. I've been having wind trolleys added to my hats, and it'll be nice to be able to do it myself now. I'll be bookmarking this one.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
windcords

Hello:

I have several vintage Borsalino's. All the wincords are a single strand. On one if the hats, the windcord came loose..and I can't seem to put it back in placev without resulting in a couble strand of cord. I can take it to the store to fix it ..but ..I'm sure it's asimple procedure to do it myself. Can anyone help in how to properly adjust this thing?

thank you

Big_e

Practically Family
An old post but worth bumping! I think it's time for the Return of the Wind Cord. Watch, just as soon as I install one on one of my Stetson Sovereigns, We won't get anymore wind. That'll suit me fine.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21