Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Alexander Leathers 4 Pocket Roadster Smooth Steer

winterland1

Practically Family
Here are some pics of my new AL Roadster. Smooth steer lined in black cotton drill, antique brass hardware. Inside snap breast pocket.
It is a little tight in the shoulders and neck when zipped all the way. I expect it would break in a little in that area. Otherwise I believe the fit is great.
I will have to decide if I want to keep it and see what happens or send back or sell.
I have went through the finding the perfect size process before and ended up with my FQHH Lost World Rider in brown that fits me perfect. It allows me to put a sweater underneath when needed for our cold winters. It was used and broken in already.

Overall I am liking this jacket. My wife likes it better on me than my brown LW. Whatever that means. It is a substantial jacket weighing in at 6.5 lbs. A hair heavier than my Lost Worlds. The Smooth steer is of course not stiff like FQQH but it does feel sturdy with a good thickness to it. Pefect for anyone who does not want to break in a jacket.
I can see no flaws in this jacket. Very well crafted. Great job by Janet.

Alexander Leathers have been great to deal with and answered my many questions. Sometimes right after I emailed them when I was up late. It only took 5 business days to come in to MN USA.
Open to all opinions FL.
a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.JPG f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg i.jpg j.jpg k.jpg l.jpg m.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks great and the fit looks good from here.

I'm really starting to think that my next leather is going to be black. Got lots of brown and it's time for a change.

Enjoy the jacket :eusa_clap

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Looks great. Something about a black leather jacket. Ya need at least one well-fitted one such as this. Enjoy my man!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Man, Looks great on you..its pretty much the twin of mine, same leather, lining etc mines a size 42, tried the 40 but couldn't get it on my shoulders without a REAL struggle. If you can actually get it on and it just feels a little snug, I'd stick with that as being the right size.

I dont see any reason to get rid of it unless you don't like the look but if your wife likes it...I'd say its a keeper.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Funny how nowadays black jackets aren't as common as you'd expect when it comes to jackets. Nice jacket btw. Very Highwayman-esque.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Winter.. The body length looks good, sleeve length looks good, it doesn't appear to be binding up in the shoulder area when zipped... I can see no reason to send it back. I say its a keeper and a nice addition to the closet... But can you move around sufficiently to do the things you need to do while wearing the jacket.. can you drive in it? ride in it? wear it to to watch the kids play soccer...that's really what matters

Edward

Bartender
Funny how nowadays black jackets aren't as common as you'd expect when it comes to jackets. Nice jacket btw. Very Highwayman-esque.

Yes, it's a Highwayman with an extra breast pocket, and an inner pocket, in addition to the single breast pocket and handwarmers that are standard on that one. Makes business sense to do this style, I imagine, given what is the big seller in the target market. I notice the relative rarity of black round here too. I think it's one of the quirks of vintage world... When I cut my first leather teeth, I was all about the Metal, then the Punk Rock... there was only one kind of legit leather jacket in those days, and it was a Perfecto style, in black, with shiny chrome fittings. I've grown to love the brown, the cordovan, and the rest since, but certainly never lost that thing for black. I suppose if I'd come to leather from vintage first, brown might be more my thing than black. There's a perception abroad that brown jackets were much more common than black back in the day, though I've never seen any evidence of this. Maybe influenced by popularity of A2s etc in vintage world (for obvious reasons)? I'd imagine that for the most part it wouldn't always be easy to tell brown from black in B&W period photos.

Now I think about it, I wonder does it vary in the US? Does black leather have a stronger association with negative stereotypes there than here?

Now I think about it, I wonder does it vary in the US? Does black leather have a stronger association with negative stereotypes there than here?
Black probably did a while back - way back. Now, every time I go to some Hollywood function, I'm the only one NOT wearing it. Every now and then, there's some other "brown" guys like me, but depending on the day, I either feel much cooler or totally out of place. It amazes me how much like sheep they all are with the black thing there. But I think the days of black scaring the old people is long gone...even with shaved heads and ink lol

Edward

Bartender
But I think the days of black scaring the old people is long gone...even with shaved heads and ink lol

Hard to imagine how Brando scared the horses once upon a time. I remember reading years ago about punk kids in NYC being threatened with being thrown out of the house over a Perfecto; when I got my own first in 1990, my folks were convinced I was going to land myself in trouble.... somehow.... Odd. I've heard worse, though. A guy I was at school with had a grandmother was convinced that "only the IRA wear black leather jackets". Words.... cannot....find.... [huh]

I've linked this image, rather than reposted directly, as it has a naughty word in it that some may not care to read, but it really says it all about tats these days ;) :

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2012/6/10/Neck_Tattoos.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I remember seeing the 'Human Enigma' from Jim Rose's Circus during the Edinburgh Festival. He was tattooed head-to-toe as a jigsaw. I remember thinking that, impressive as it was, who could be bothered with that? It's a thought that occurs to me quite often nowadays when I'm in the city centre. At least with a Perfecto, you could leave it at home if you wanted to...[huh]

winterland1

Practically Family
May I ask what size you ordered and your height and usual jacket size...?
Here are my stats. 5' 8.5" 140lbs 37.5" chest all in my birthday suit. I am pretty solid. Have been working out consistently for about 3 years. Always been in fairly good shape but age started catching up with me.
Here are the Roadsters measurements. As I said it was tight in the shoulders and neck but just wearing it a few times has loosened it up a bit in that area and gotten better. I can move around fine in it, just tight in that area. With a t-shirt it is much better. T-shirt and sweater it gets more restictive.
It is a 36
Armpit to armpit – 21.5”
Sleeves – 25” It was made at 26" I had them take an inch off.
Back – 23.5” bottom of collar to bottom
Front -20.5" top of zipper to bottom
Shoulders – 17.5"

Last edited:
Hard to imagine how Brando scared the horses once upon a time. I remember reading years ago about punk kids in NYC being threatened with being thrown out of the house over a Perfecto; when I got my own first in 1990, my folks were convinced I was going to land myself in trouble.... somehow.... Odd. I've heard worse, though. A guy I was at school with had a grandmother was convinced that "only the IRA wear black leather jackets". Words.... cannot....find.... [huh] I've linked this image, rather than reposted directly, as it has a naughty word in it that some may not care to read, but it really says it all about tats these days ;) :http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2012/6/10/Neck_Tattoos.jpg
I watch Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock (all of the shows) and I laugh when they have the "biker gangs" in the Perfecto-styled jackets with perfect hair - guys who look like Bobby Darin - as the "thugs". Even a couple where guys in Letterman's jackets are the "gangs" and I think, wow, those were the days! lol

Edward

Bartender
I remember seeing the 'Human Enigma' from Jim Rose's Circus during the Edinburgh Festival. He was tattooed head-to-toe as a jigsaw. I remember thinking that, impressive as it was, who could be bothered with that? It's a thought that occurs to me quite often nowadays when I'm in the city centre. At least with a Perfecto, you could leave it at home if you wanted to...[huh]

I can admire the commitment it takes to be that heavily inked, and I enjoy the art of it, but yes, it's not for me. I'm planning some good work on my arms over the next couple of years now I'm a bit more financially stable, but not anything that can't be covered up as and where it suits me. I still have it in mind to get involved in some extras work in the future, and it doesn't do to limit yourself too much with an extreme look for that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to playing in a lot of crowd scenes of early eighties bovver boys, obviously.... or "guy dressed as Yul Brynner at ComicCon".... ;)

I watch Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock (all of the shows) and I laugh when they have the "biker gangs" in the Perfecto-styled jackets with perfect hair - guys who look like Bobby Darin - as the "thugs". Even a couple where guys in Letterman's jackets are the "gangs" and I think, wow, those were the days! lol

Heh, yeah... The television gods do love themselves some stereotypes that don't apply much to reality. Frankly, I don't think things have changed much in that respect (even if the visuals have).

winterland1

Practically Family
I have been wearing black leather since my younger days. My brown Lost Worlds that I purchased last fall is my first non black leather.
I started out as a rock musician, music obsessed person and now have been a studio producer/engineer still music obsessed, going on 20years. I work and hang out with people who dress everything from very casual, to dressy to full leather, piercings, tats the works. It is all part of how one expresses themselves.

I agree the tattoo thing is out of hand. When I was a teen the only people with tattoos were musicians, bikers, ex armed forces or some other type of bad ass person. I got one when I was 18 and that was it. Have been tempted over the years to get more but now I am glad I stopped at one, but you never know. Most of the people I see with tattoos now are far from bad ass. Housewives who have never been to a concert or a biker bar with a vine on their leg. I don't get it. Oh well. It's a free world. I won't even get into what I think of most of the new music these days. Ha!

One thing that reassures me of things is there is an area in Minneapolis called Uptown. Historically it has been a place where creative younger people, punks, hippy and college crowd would hang. I lived there at one point, you would always see a lot of black leather, mohawks, tattoos, someone playing guitar or a drum circle etc. You drive through 5 years later and you see the same thing except the actual people have changed. Most of them anyways. It has gotten more hipster and many of the cool stores have turned into chains but I will still see the mohawk, leather and chains. Cool to see.
Thanks for all the feedback on my new jacket.

Last edited:
Sorry man - nice jacket. Didn't mean to derail, just got caught up...
Yeah, the ink and piercings, etc are kinda funny now. I've prided myself in not having any, but I must admit, I'm thinking about doing something on my upper-forearm. Just have to figure out what I can live with for the rest of my days :)
I'll have one of the best guys around do it - Mark Mahoney. when I finally make up my mind.
As to music - don't get ME going on that either... lol

More side tracking...

Both my sons got "tats".
The eldest got a "lion rampant" on his abdomen. About 8 inches tall.
He is lean and muscular.
I can't help but wonder what it will look like when he gets to be my age and develops a bit of a paunch.

The younger one a 2" bull on the inside of his upper arm...in honor of his running with the bulls in Pamplona.

Several years on...both are talking about getting them removed.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket, would love to see some pics with a bit more "contrast" and closer so I can see more of the grain and cut. I personally think the hide looks good on you. Though not "beer belly fat", my upper body's too thick for a jacket like that. I'm envious.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
More side tracking...

Both my sons got "tats".
The eldest got a "lion rampant" on his abdomen. About 8 inches tall.
He is lean and muscular.
I can't help but wonder what it will look like when he gets to be my age and develops a bit of a paunch.

The younger one a 2" bull on the inside of his upper arm...in honor of his running with the bulls in Pamplona.

Several years on...both are talking about getting them removed.

I remember a guy at uni walking into a tutorial sporting a horrid, 'Grim Reaper' on his upper arm. As he walked past us somebody asked the guy when he got it. He replied "two weeks ago", to which came the question: "Are you bored with it yet then?" And the look on his face was hilarious, it was as if he'd never considered the idea that seeing something like that might day-in day-out might get a bit tedious.
I've seen some work that is fantastic, really skilled, but it's when you see some 20-something with it climbing up over the shirt collars or down the end of the cuffs, I wince slightly. [huh] Tattoo removal is painful, expensive and not necessarily always successful. *thread hijack ends*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred