Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Josephine

One Too Many
Hallo!

I go by Josephine on the net, and came here by way of The Long Hair Community and Vintage_Hair over on Live Journal. I had been lurking awhile, and finally decided to join. :)

In the 20th century (I also go to Renaissance Festivals) I like post flapper (I'm too curvy to wear the shifts they wore in the 20's) to the early 1950's, concentrating on the 1930's and 40's. I'm just starting in the vintage collecting, I have some of my great grandmother's and grandmother's things. Though now that I am getting active in the collecting I hope to put the word out to my other relatives and reap the benefits of them cleaning out their closets. :D

I do sew, and hate to spend money, so I think that reproductions are the way to go for me. I'd rather have 5 reproduction dresses (but not faddish reproductions, if that makes sense!) than one vintage dress. Thought it would be nice to have a few vintage ones... And hats! I love hats.

I have waist length hair that is proving to be a bit troublesome in getting into Victory rolls and the like, but I shall persevere! If only to wear cool hats.

Erm, I guess that's it! :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Josephine! It's very nice to meet you:)
I'm sure you know that victory rolls are only one way to wear your hair while doing the vintage look. Although my hair is not nearly as long as yours, it falls just below my shoulders, I have a lot of it, which can make it challenging for me to do a victory roll. I have to make sure that the are nice and tight, so I don't look like I have 2 giant cornucopias sticking out of either side of my head. But anyway, there are many different things you can do with your hair, and the one look I love is down in wide neat curls, like Veronica Lake. I love this style, and wish that I could find some way to do it exactly as she did, but alas it never comes out that way. But with your long locks your hair would probably look lovely down and wavey, and it would be very vintage correct.
You'll find tons of hair info in the beauty and powder room sections, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Welcome again:) I look forward to hearing more from you!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
I even wrote a novel set against WWII as the backdrop. LOL. For reasons too personal to explain here, I took a break from all of my childhood interests for about ten years, and now I'm back...more passionate than ever and with a different appreciation for this era. I'm currently working on adapting my little story from 16 years ago into a grown up graphic novel...

I'd love to see art from your graphic novel or read a bit of your WWII story if you feel comfortable posting--they sound great! Welcome too!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Welcome youse newby guys. I was a newby only a few months ago, and now I'm working on my second thousand posts. You'll find that hair, or hats or whatever gets you started, will lead to all sorts of other interesting topics. People here have definite ideas, and express them freely, but politely. It's very refreshing. All sorts of people from all over the world. I suspect the reason everyone is so welcoming is that we've all experienced, to one degree or another, the feeling of being persecuted, or at least looked at funny, just because we're different. It's nice to be with other people who think that different is good.

Josephine

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Welcome Josephine! It's very nice to meet you:)...the one look I love is down in wide neat curls, like Veronica Lake.

Very nice to meet you too. :) I like the Veronica Lake look a lot too, but don't care too much for my hair around my face so I don't do it all that often. Victory rolls (and rolls in general) look so neat though! Plus they get my hair off my face. :D

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Hello all! Much like fatwoul, I've been here for a few days, but I'm meandering my way around now, so I figured I should drop by and introduce myself!
I'm Mike, I live in Las Vegas, once a city full of class which now has everything but.

I'm slowly starting to build up my own class, got about 5 hats, a few nice suits, and just try and make each work day a little bit snappier than it would be be :)
If there's anyone else out here in Sin City, I'd love to meet ya!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Hello all, I've been a member for sometime now but never contribute. I
thought that since I spend most of my time in the Powder Room I'd finally introduce myself and perhaps actually contribute to the conversation! My name is Randi and I am a 20 year old university student from Western New York State. I have always had a deep appreciation for antique and vintage items but have recently, over the past year, developed an interest in the 1920's-40's as well as the early to mid 50's. My interest, as well as my lounge alias, was inspired by my discovery of Clara Bow and the remark of a friend that Clara and I could be twins. Since then I have fallen in love with the crisp lines and sophisticated nature of vintage fashion as well as many other aspects of life in the golden era. Over my time here, lurking about the Lounge, I have come to appreciate your sage advice, thoughts and opinions as well as the sense of community you have created here. I find that people my age and in my area are rarely interested in the golden area or anything vintage so its nice to know that I am not alone in my little obsession. Thanks ladies!

zaika

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I'd love to see art from your graphic novel or read a bit of your WWII story if you feel comfortable posting--they sound great! Welcome too!

I wouldn't mind sharing...it is a definite work in progress...kind of my life long pursuit. Where would the proper place be to post?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
I wouldn't mind sharing...it is a definite work in progress...kind of my life long pursuit. Where would the proper place be to post?

Maybe in the WW2 section or the Observation Bar.

I too look forward to seeing your work.

40sprincess

New in Town
howdy

Hey everyone

I'm Daisy, 23 from the UK... I ADORE the 1940s.. re-enactments, vintage dressing, swing dance etc etc the list is endless. I'm a musician and I love the old classics. I am re-locating to nyc in october to start a new job. So would love to hear from anyone around there.

Great to meet you all!

Much love
Daisy x

dostacos

Practically Family
40sprincess said:
Hey everyone

I'm Daisy, 23 from the UK... I ADORE the 1940s.. re-enactments, vintage dressing, swing dance etc etc the list is endless. I'm a musician and I love the old classics. I am re-locating to nyc in october to start a new job. So would love to hear from anyone around there.

Great to meet you all!

Much love
Daisy x
well the UKs loss is our gain, welcome to the nicest group on the net [well the guys over at COW are nice too, many a tad wilder.....]

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Hullo

Greetings. I'm Clint from Wyoming and definitely a hat/cap person. My favorite topper is a bowler, but frequently wear newsboys, ivy's and of course; fedoras.
I've been looking through the posts here and am enchanted by the style of dress and conversation. Glad to make your acquaintance.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
40sprincess said:
Hey everyone

Great to meet you all!

Much love
Daisy x
Welcome and it's very nice to meet you.

I think you found two wonderful places to be at home; New York City and The Fedora Lounge.

Welcome. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80