Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats for Summer

ChicagoRon

New in Town
This is my first posting on the FL. I just discovered it and think it's great-- I have purchased a couple of beautiful felt fedoras from Worth and Worth in NYC-- their own brand made in Italy, around $200 each. Recently got a Borsolino Jocky Tweed Cap (even though not a fedora, a great cap)--- and now want to get a nice Panama Fedora, or Montecristi, or etc. I looked at the Optimo site from Chicago (my original home town!) -- but they are quite pricey. But I saw some other sites where "Panama" hats that look nice are going for around $150--200.
Can I get a really nice straw fedora for $200 or under, or do I need to spring for big bucks? The summer is short in Massachusetts (where I live now) and I'm looking to save a few bucks, but not at the loss of quality.
Where should I look?
Thanks and I look forward to participating on here in the future.

Ron

2008---- The Year the Cubs and Red Sox meet in World Series!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome Ron.

Good to have you on board. What hat size are you?, as this may help if some of our members are thinking of parting with a Panama.

Also, do an advanced search in here for Panama hat and it will throw up the threads pertaining to that (top blue banner above this page, third from right).

Thanks.

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon

Welcome to the lounge ChicagoRon. I look forward to hearing and seeing what hat you end up with.
Marty Mathis

lucas

New in Town
I forgot to mention. I like was just at Worth & Worth about a month ago. I loved their Venezia style fedora. I think that will be my next purchase

ChicagoRon

New in Town
Thanks for the advice

Lucas,

Thanks for the tips about Panama Bob's business. As I've reviewed numerous postings on FL and on the internet generally, I've seen alot of very positive references to that company. However, I'm having a difficult time finding that company. The link you gave didn't work, nor did the picture link (although it might be the server I'm on here at office)--- but I've Googled Panama Bob and some generic info comes up, but not a specific company by that name.
Any further hints on how to find this place would be quite welcome.

Worth and Worth is a nice place to shop. I have the Venezia hat in Brown and really like it. They are good people to deal with as well. By the way, if anyone knows a great hat store in Boston area, please let me know. I haven't found any yet. Around here, it's just Red Sox caps!!!

Thanks

ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon

New in Town
Panama Bob's

Mike K, Lucas---

The link without the parentheses worked, and I found Panama Bob's--- great website with styles, prices, lots of information. Since I've seen all these positive and trusting references to that company, I'll pick out one of those, I think in the $100--150 range.

I"ve emailed Panama Bob a few general questions, they seem to be quite accessible for information and customer service. Thanks again to you all, this is a GREAT web site.

ChicagoRon

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi All,

I've been lookin' a Panama, too. I had about decided to buy an Akubra, but now that I know about PanamaBob, I think I would rather have one of his Havanas in 300 aw/sq.in. quality. To fit my mellon head, I need a hat size between 7 5/8 and 7 3/4, depending on the brand. How do Bob's hats run, size-wise? Do they tend to shrink much with wear?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Atticus

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Atticus Finch said:
Hi All,

I've been lookin' a Panama, too. I had about decided to buy an Akubra, but now that I know about PanamaBob, I think I would rather have one of his Havanas in 300 aw/sq.in. quality. To fit my mellon head, I need a hat size between 7 5/8 and 7 3/4, depending on the brand. How do Bob's hats run, size-wise? Do they tend to shrink much with wear?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Atticus

Atticus Finch must have a panama.

They run true to size, and I have not noted any shrinkage in the ones that I've had (all from Robert).

univibe88

One Too Many
Here's another vote for Panama Bob.

Yeah, you rite that summer is short here in Boston. You better order you Panama now so it is ready to go once summer finally gets here.

Ron, go to your messaging options and enable private messages. I tried to send you a PM but it looks like you don't have it enabled.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Atticus Finch must have a panama.

Indeed, he must.

mockingbird3.jpg

I think that Monday I'll order that PanamaBob Havana.

Atticus

RedPop4

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
Here's another vote for Panama Bob.

Yeah, you rite that summer is short here in Boston. You better order you Panama now so it is ready to go once summer finally gets here.

Ron, go to your messaging options and enable private messages. I tried to send you a PM but it looks like you don't have it enabled.
He may not have enough posts, yet. You have to have 15 posts before private messaging is enabled.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Just ordered a Havana in Fino quality from PanamaBob. I'm undrestanding that it'll take about a month to get here. If so, that'll be about the time warm weather first arrives is Eastern North Carolina. Then by late June---when we get the real heat and humidity of Summer---my Montecristi will be nicely "broken in" and ready for warm evening lawn parties and hot bar-b-que lunches at the local Courthouse Cafe.

There are times that I just love being a walking anachronism!

Atticus

rgraham

A-List Customer
Here's a place I was just at this last weekend in Santa Fe NM.

http://www.montecristihats.com/

A friend of mine was buying one of their $30,000 Panamas. Yes, that is no joke. A really nice guy, and a great little shop. I was able to take the 10 cent tour in the back shop. Fun to see all the stuff it takes to make a hat from a basic blank. Are one of these hats worth that much? I guess so, if you have the money. The two blanks he chose from were the finest feeling weaves I've ever touched. Paper thin. Maybe it's a good investment, but I could never see actually wearing one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic