Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

Royal Stetson Balibuntal straw

A lightweight parabuntal or baku straw hat - likely 1950s, there are no marks or labels inside. Weighs 2.3 ounces which is about half sweatband with oilskin moisture barrier. Condition is like new. Underwelt brim, 2 3/8" wide.

bali1.jpg

bali2.jpg

bali3.jpg

bali4.jpg

bali5.jpg

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I too have a Buckaroo Hat done up by Major Mike. Some shots

photo2-2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

I have never worn an Optimo style hat, and do have a Panama Bob. This hat is so light, wow, it is not paper thin, and not too shellacy (my word I guess) but just feels right. I was undecided about what ribbon treatment so Mike did one up with a contrasting stripe in the keeper and then I got to thinking maybe make the ribbon so it can be changed out. So here is the hat with two different ribbon treatments:

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

When I wear it come say April, I will consider another ribbon or two. He had a green mixed color/mixed pattern ribbon that screams to be worn as it is colorful and seems so right in a hot humid summer setting.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Call or email Mike to see what is up. He had they all made up.

I did call and talk to Mike, Ed. He was busy at the store and said he set the hat aside for me and would get back to me. Memphislawyer's original post of his is what inspired me to contact Buckaroo. I don't like bugging craftsmen and since I've PM'd, emailed, and called (qualifies as bugging to me), I'm just gonna patiently wait.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
All I can say is Paribuntal bodies are impossible to get today. We bought some this year and the quality was not good.

Did a little work with the block and flange to gauge the possibilities. Very supple and easy to work, though the brim will be substantial and require a rolled edge to be manageable. I think I am over my head (and talent) so will likely send the hat to Optimo to be finished.

blocked_buntal2.jpg

blocked_buntal1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails