Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
My Mayser Parabuntal

sej7.jpg

Thanks for posting these close-ups, Manfred. It's a beauty.

I'm waiting for my recent parabuntal to return from a finishing trip to Optimo. Pictures next week I hope.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, thank you very much my friend. I have Seen the pictures and I am looking forward to the photos of the finished hat. It's a beauty too and I guess he will get a Lot of Head Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

John Galt

Vendor
Did a little work with the block and flange to gauge the possibilities. Very supple and easy to work, though the brim will be substantial and require a rolled edge to be manageable. I think I am over my head (and talent) so will likely send the hat to Optimo to be finished.

blocked_buntal2.jpg

blocked_buntal1.jpg

Alan, looks good to me. Why not put a string down the middle if your block to create the Optimo crease, as in the hat renovating book? That and a flanging & ribbon sweat would give you a finished hat.

I did consider doing that, but my rudimentary tools would likely make for a mushy blocking. in the end I decided a professional crease and pencil roll brim might be worth the investment.

Have you worked on yours yet?

John Galt

Vendor
Not yet, but you are inspiring me greatly. I have a pretty good rolled Panama body I may try first. I note that the true Optimo blocks & the hats posted here have a more pointed ridge than such a string would provide. I was thinking that running a bead of silicon caulking down the center of the block and then wetting your fingers & creating the ridge by drawing them down the bead might make a good temporary ridge if it was formed carefully enough. Just an idea, and I don't really know if I'm brave enough to try it on my vintage blocks, but maybe. Maybe a length of triangular rubber trim & some spray glue would work better.

John Galt

Vendor
I think I will go to the hardware store this weekend and look for something from which to make a pencil roll shackle.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

WOW!!!! That is seriously one of the most beautiful straws I have ever seen!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I personally think the finely woven Parabuntal's are seriously underrated. Everyone talks about ultrafino Monticrisitis and while I have seen VERY high quality weaves at Optimo, I personally think the Buntal weave, gloss, and pattern on the top of the crown is more beautiful than a Monticrisiti. Obviously, not everyone shares my opinion on the lounge, but on my bucket list is a fine buntal like this one. Simply gorgeous block, flange, and brim roll!

Thanks very much for the comments.

Josh, I agree that the parabuntal weave is beautiful and the ultimate lightness is a treat as well. I think these bodies are hard if not impossibile to get today. I was fortunate to happen on this one and get it for a very reasonable price, making the investment in an Optimo finish an easier choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails