Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
What about Balibuntal? Is this the same or a different construction? I purchased a Balibuntal straw from Strand Hatters in Sydney, Australia, about seven years ago. Did not hold up very well.

John Galt

Vendor
Bump. Received the Bailey U-rollit today. It is a beauty, and light as expected, but quite stiff with "sizing." It will be my favorite straw western (better than my Resistol Genuine Panama OR clone) when I get the brim right. I unfortunately can't shape it without steam because I am afraid it might crack.

Incidentally, I do not know how parabuntal differs from balibuntal.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Baliuag in Balacan, Philippines was a weaving area that the Balibuntal hats got their name from. I've no idea where parabuntal comes from.

John Galt

Vendor
Baliuag in Balacan, Philippines was a weaving area that the Balibuntal hats got their name from. I've no idea where parabuntal comes from.

From the straw types thread:

--------------8<
Paribuntal (China) > Bakou straw in a wider, looser weave often used in millinery and dress hats.

Baku is a body straw hat made of Philippine fiber which is exported to China, and woven by Chinese experts. It is an extremely lightweight, porous, fine-woven hat, having the appearance of a fine mesh screen. In better weaves, it is also called Shantung.

----------8<

I don't know how thoroughly this was researched.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Dobbs Straw - perhaps Baku?

Unmarked straw varietal from Dobbs... navy pugaree, 2 1/2" brim, weighs 2 ozs. on the postal scale.

dobbsbaku1.jpg

dobbsbaku2.jpg

dobbsbaku3.jpg

dobbsbaku4.jpg

Photographed on the light table:

dobbsbaku5.jpg

dobbsbaku6.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Unmarked straw varietal from Dobbs... navy pugaree, 2 1/2" brim, weighs 2 ozs. on the postal scale.

dobbsbaku1.jpg

BEAUTIFUL Baku/Buntal!! I love Balibuntals and unfortunately have not been able to snag one yet. I have said it before and I will say it again, I would honestly rather have a very fine buntal than a fine monticristi. These baku/buntals are super light and usually very finely woven, even the "mid-grade" stuff. They can also usually be had in the vintage market for about a tenth of the price of a comparably fine Monticristi.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BEAUTIFUL Baku/Buntal!! I love Balibuntals and unfortunately have not been able to snag one yet. I have said it before and I will say it again, I would honestly rather have a very fine buntal than a fine monticristi. These baku/buntals are super light and usually very finely woven, even the "mid-grade" stuff. They can also usually be had in the vintage market for about a tenth of the price of a comparably fine Monticristi.

There is a lot in that. Montes have been regarded as the primo straw hat but people ignore the fact that they are useless in even a light shower. Some of the Asian and Italian straws are wonderful.

John Galt

Vendor
I agree - you just can't beat a buntal! Very light, very practical, and the straw seems a lot more durable.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Great snag Alan and agree completely with Josh, buntal's rock. Had one but it turned out to be krap and was fortunate enough to be able to return it. Still looking for mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn