Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Richard :)

If you've got a nice C-crown block in 7-1/4, I would love a nice one like Alan's, John. Also the rusty brown ribbon could warm up my greyish complection and suit the bloodshot eyes :D

Olė, I've got a beautiful rusty ribbon, but it is the lack of any Panama blocks, C-crown or otherwise, that has me stalled.

I bought a vintage dark blue woman's parabuntal in an appropriate brim width some time back, stripped it down to the body, washed it and rolled it up for later use.

It, a pretty small bamboo boxed Tesoro body, and a very nice early century parabuntal are all waiting for a proper block.

I've got a couple of leads on sets of panama blocks, but I am cash poor. I could make an Optimo crown with a cord as Ermatinger suggests, but it is not my favorite style. I don't want to hand-shape these quality hat bodies either, so I'm still stuck.

I'm seriously thinking about selling a significant portion of my hat collection to fund a couple of bulk purchases I've been circling around lately.

(No, not _those_ ones - even better ;-)

I won't sell the really iconic hats - except for a too big Cervo Bantam I'm already talking to someone about - because I want to keep them for cloning. I may part with some of the Nutrias though.

Keep your eyes open, I'll probably list the sales here before sending them to the 'Bay. Then again, I seemed to get a lot of grief last time I tried to sell anything here...

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Love my parbuntal. Great that you where able to find one Mike. It's one of those lost art of hat making live the cav edge that I wish we could I'd today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I called Bob at BSHW a few weeks ago asking about a parabuntal and he said he only had one and it was spoken for..... I am glad to see it was you who got the hat.. I can see it now and then when you post pics..... LOL

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks OG and John. OG, there were 2 bodies that Garrett negotiated from John Galt, I got one and Garrett traded the other to Bob for services since it ended up being too big for him. Let's just say that Bob isn't willing to part with that body, he's not only a hatter, but a hat collector ;)

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!
I hope this is the right thread. I googles "tesoro's straw hat" and this came up.
Anyhoo, I found this hat body at a thrift store. It has a barely visible stamp on it, looks like "TESORO'S" or something similar. The bottom line is too tough to make out, even with different photo modes.

a1acb79d8672931d0d5844f6c9caa485.jpg
6b951d7e7aba180f92deaf7f44b9eabb.jpg
a48f87efccf9b7013c4ccfe2279aac86.jpg
f4fea08835f2b1b6a457e510137d33c5.jpg
4d86b85fba1f9bc27746f0687513b37b.jpg

So, what I'm wondering is, can anyone tell me if this is a parabuntal body, given the limited information available? It s very light, supple, with a different feel than my Cuenca Panama. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

John Galt

Vendor
You scored! One of the great straw hat bodies. I like them better than the best Panamas I've owned. Very light weight and strong. Quite rare to find an old one. They are quite desirable, so research before you have it re-blocked or sell it. Tesoro's was a store in the Philippines, which is where parabuntals are weaved. The hats were often sent back as souvenirs during World War II in bamboo tubes. Search this site and you'll find plenty of info. Great Find!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Cool!
And thanks for the quick response. I thought at first it may have been a Panama, but it looked quite a bit like pics on this thread.
I am planning on blocking it and finishing it myself. I hope I don't screw it up...:)

John Galt

Vendor
Mike, that is one of the very bodies I found & sold to Garret. You guys got lucky - I needed the cash ;-).

It's a great piece of history, and I'm glad Bob made you such a beautiful hat from it. Bravo!

I did find another similar WWII era parabuntal like this recently, but the tube is not as good. I do not plan to part with it.

John Galt

Vendor
Cool!
And thanks for the quick response. I thought at first it may have been a Panama, but it looked quite a bit like pics on this thread.
I am planning on blocking it and finishing it myself. I hope I don't screw it up...:)

You will note, if you compare it to the Cuenca, that the start of the weave - the "button," I believe - is very different. Also, the straw doesn't dry and get as brittle as a Panama, but is just as light, and very strong. Buntal bodies can still be found in women's hats - Leko even sells some, but I don't know how they compare.

I have also cannibalized women's hats for the bodies before. I found a black one recently that I will eventually make into a summer fedora to wear with my black suits.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Would you happen to know how old this body might be? I know there isn't much to go by other than the name of the store, but since you said it "was" a store, that might give me at least an end date.
TY again.

John Galt

Vendor
Can't remember when the store stopped running, but believe it did. My best guess is it is contemporaneous with the others - 1940's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran