Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

There's really nothing more to say... except congrats, Alan. Another amazing standout within your collection.

And Happy New Year.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Parabuntal is very hard to get today. We used to have tons of them in stock but in the last few years the supply has dwindled down to nothing.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Its good that you did John. Every year for the past few years the quality of the straw has been getting worse and worse. You can see the weave getting wider and wider every year. Now I was told that there is no more good Parabuntal on the market. I might be able to get a few pieces for next season but that it.

John Galt

Vendor
Craigslist purchase, $10.00. Parabuntal of high quality, I think. Branded "Tesoro's Distinctive Hats" of Manilla, and rolled in a bamboo case.

2amyveha.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
WOW!!!! That is seriously one of the most beautiful straws I have ever seen!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I personally think the finely woven Parabuntal's are seriously underrated. Everyone talks about ultrafino Monticrisitis and while I have seen VERY high quality weaves at Optimo, I personally think the Buntal weave, gloss, and pattern on the top of the crown is more beautiful than a Monticrisiti. Obviously, not everyone shares my opinion on the lounge, but on my bucket list is a fine buntal like this one. Simply gorgeous block, flange, and brim roll!

I have had very nice examples of both, and agree with you completely. A fine Montecristi straw hat is a work of art, but the parabuntal straw seems more flexible & impervious to age & dryness, and even lighter than the best Montecristi straw hat I have had the pleasure to own. The weaving, too, is amazing. It is hard to believe it is not done by machine. Frankly, the good ones are so nice that I wouldn't care if they were.

Liddleman

Familiar Face
A lightweight parabuntal or baku straw hat - likely 1950s, there are no marks or labels inside. Weighs 2.3 ounces which is about half sweatband with oilskin moisture barrier. Condition is like new. Underwelt brim, 2 3/8" wide.

bali1.jpg

bali2.jpg

bali3.jpg

bali4.jpg

bali5.jpg

That is just a hat to die for, I'd love it.

The old one looks nicer in the photos than in the hand... I kept it to steam and iron on a day with nothing else to do. Might have another one of those in 2034 or thereabouts. :)

John Galt

Vendor
Just won this one on eBay. A Bailey U-Rollit cowboy parabuntal "rope weave." I have no idea of the vintage (but note that it is reeded).

9anepubu.jpg

ybehaveb.jpg

2u3ebeqy.jpg

herezajy.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Neat hat. I used to have a Bailey straw I bought in the late 1970's. It had the same red tip sticker. I can't remember what the sweatband looked like though. That's not much info but maybe it will help you with dating the hat.

John Galt

Vendor
Neat hat. I used to have a Bailey straw I bought in the late 1970's. It had the same red tip sticker. I can't remember what the sweatband looked like though. That's not much info but maybe it will help you with dating the hat.

Thanks!

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn