Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
A Parabuntal is a lighter weight straw than a Monticristi panama . The panama straw comes rom Equador and the Parabuntal straw is from China . It is very difficult to find fine parabuntal straw today . The weave is not as fine as was 10-15 years ago . This is the main reason we've stopped selling Baku straw . What we've been shown called Baku is realy Sisol . Real Baku from years ago was very fine and a work of art . We aren't the main source for these hats but we sell many of them . Been dealing with Tesi for many years . They are the last straw maker in Italy .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
lol

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
Now I'm confused. I thought the hat had to be manufactured exclusively in montecristi to be genuine,not that the straw could be exported 7 then made. Have I been reading other posts wrong?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi hats are only those woven in the barrios around Montecristi, Manabi, Ecuador.

I'm intrigued by these parbuntal hats. Are they really finer than a fino fino Montecristi?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I'd say that the finess on a top Monticrsti is better because they are weaved by hand . The parabuntal is a different type of straw, lighter in weight . Even the parabuntal hats have suffered in quality over the years . I have some hats from 15 years ago that the weave is so tight that when held up to the light, nothing comes through . Today is a whole different story .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Wile we're on the topic- any idea what, "genuine imported Madras" is?
It's what the sweatband says on this summer hat of mine.
IMG_3900.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Wile we're on the topic- any idea what, "genuine imported Madras" is?

Besides being a sort of curry, Madras is also the former name (back when we briefly ran the show over there) of an Indian province called Tamil Nadu, where a cotton-like material is manufactured, so the material might also go by the name "Madras", in the same way that other things end up being nicknamed after the place they were made.

So in this case "genuine imported Madras" might refer to the pugaree and/or sweatband, if that is also fabric.

It's a shot in the dark, but anyway there isn't much light in the northern hemisphere this time of year. :D

EDIT: Thought Tamil Nadu was a town. Looked on a map. Not a town, a province/state. My bad.

barehead

New in Town
Not sure if I should have opened a new thread for this, but TheFedoraLounge FAQ urges to keep the discussion in the existing threads, and this one looks appropriate, so here I go.

I am new to hats and new to this website, sorry if I am asking a dumb question.

I am looking to buy a straw hat (or a few :) ) for the upcoming summer season. There is a lot of different hats online to choose from, but I am a bit confused by the huge variability in price. For example, in this selection of straw hats the price varies from $20 to $800. Who's gonna buy a straw hat for $800?? (BTW, how expensive is yours?) VillageHats is pretty much the same story for all hats, not just straw.

So where does the difference come from? Is it material durability, or just the brand? And what should I go for? I think I could settle for one of the Jaxon's hats. Fairly cheap and look great on the pictures. Is it a good choice?

Thanks for advice

BareHead

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I admire your attempt to actually keep a discussion in one topic! A lot of people just end up not doing that here on the FL.

The difference in straw hats comes from both the material involved and the amount of work required to make the hat body. Biltmore has an amazingly useful straw hat guide on their website which I will quote here for you:

Straw Qualities

Baku (China) > Very fine natural straw fiber from rice stalks; expensive handwoven straw for use in millinery and dress hats.

Bangora (org. Japan, also China) > Machine-made hat woven from toyo paper yarn initating bakou.

Bankok (Philippines) > Natural fibre straw usually handwoven into expensive, light weight dress and Western hats.

Brisa ( Ecuador) > Panama hat in 1x1 weave from toquilla straw.

Bu (China) > Method of designating the fineness of yarn fibers used in making straw hats; one bu is approximately equal to one millimeter. The smaller the bu number, the finer the weave and the more expensive the hat.

Cappeline> Hat industry term for a generic straw of felt hat body.

Chinese Paper Yarn (China) > Twisted, coated paper yarn used in inexpensive straw hats, often made from recycled materials. Also Chinese twisted paper.

Cuenca (Ecuador) > Panama hat in 2x2 weave from toquilla straw.

Formosan (Taiwan) > Manmade yarn hats woven in Taiwan, aka Formosa

Formosan Marcus paper yarn (Japan) > Manmade yarn produced in Japan and woven into hat bodies in Formosa (Taiwan). Designed to imitate Bankok straw, Marcus yarn is noted for its round fiber and uniform colour.

Glaze (Japan, China) > Lustrous finish put on yarn used in straw hats that also adds body and strength to the fiber.

Hemp (Philippines) > Straw fiber from the hemp plant producing a coarse, rugged hat body. Hemp is usually handwoven in Taiwan and expensive.

Hood > Hat industry term for an unblocked, cone-shaped hat body.

Jute (China) > Natural fiber from the hemp plant but finer than hemp fiber.

Lacquer >Transparent varnish applied to a blocked straw hat body to strengthen the body. Each hatmaker has a proprietary lacquer formula

Montecristi Panama (Ecuador) > Very fine high grade and expensive straw hat handwoven from toquilla on the island of Montecristi.

1X1 > Straw or yarn weaving pattern in hats of one stand on one strand producing a smooth , even weave.

Paribuntal (China) > Bakou straw in a wider, looser weave often used in millinery and dress hats.

Polyhemp (Japan) > Polyester yarn designed to imitate hemp straw.

Panama hat (Ecuador) > Hand-woven hat made from toquilla straw; very expensive, but the standard for finely-woven straw dress and Western hats.

Raffia (Madagascar) > Natural fiber of a Madagascar palm used in coarsely-woven hats. Straw is prized for pliability, ruggedness.

Rice Fiber (China, Southeast Asia) > Natural straw fiber from the stalks of rice plants.

Shantung (China) > Commercial American term for glazed manmade paper yarn made in Japan and handwoven in China. Any hat made from Shantung yarn.

2X2 > Straw or yarn weaving patterns in hats in which two strands are placed on two strands resulting in a herringbone pattern.

Seagrass (China, Southeast Asia) > Natural straw fiber from ocean plants used in producing a coarse weave in plants.

Sisal (China, Southeast Asia) > Coarse rich fiber used in straw hats.

Toquilla ( Equador, Andes Mountains) > Palm plant source of natural straw fibers used in Panama hats.

Toyo (Japan) > Twisted manmade paper yarn similar to Formosan Marcus paper yarn but with variegated colouring. Used glazed or unglazed in less expensive Western straw hats.

Twisted Paper Jute (China) > Manmade fiber resembling jute fiber.

Weave > Twisting and interlacing of yarns in manufacturing straw hat bodies either by machine or by hand. Typical weaves in Western straw hats are 1X1 and 2X2. Fancy weaves produce distinct patterns and open or vented weaving creates open spaces in the final hat body.

Yarn > Filaments or strands spun from natural or manmade materials used in weaving straw hats. In Western hats, yarn usually refers to manmade materials.

Available at: http://www.biltmorehats.com/productcategories5.htm

Personally, I love straw hats, but have a hard time justifying spending all that much hard earned cash on them because of their typically short life spans.

Lately, I have taken an interest in straw hats made using the LiteStraw process. I find them to be pleasant thus far, and am enjoying them.

barehead

New in Town
Dewhurst,

Thanks for the info!

I like straw for its universality. You are ok wearing a straw hat on almost any occasion, whether you are going to a beach or out on a Sat night!

BareHead

P.S Will probably buy the Jaxon's.

duggap

Banned
So where does the difference come from? Is it material durability, or just the brand? And what should I go for? I think I could settle for one of the Jaxon's hats. Fairly cheap and look great on the pictures. Is it a good choice?

Thanks for advice

BareHead

In the Panama hats, price is dictated by where it is made and how finely it is woven. I have never spent $800 on a Panama, but I just about did on my last one. It has about 650 weaves per square inch. Now consider this. You can go thru two or three of those sixty to eighty dollar hats in one season. A good Panama, if properly handled, will last your lifetime. Take a look at our Panama Bob's offerings as he often has some good sales and it is possible to get a Panama that is very presentable for around one hundred. A lesser priced Panama will last just as long as a higher priced one. It is more a matter of how you treat and care for the hat. Wearing it in a rain storm would be a serious no no. Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

duggap

Banned
I don't know just how much it would damage the straw, but you would have a very wavy, uneven brim and the crease itself might be distorted. That would be from a heavy rain. I treat mine by misting them about once a month to keep the moisture in the straw. But I have seen on here, guys find one rolled up in a box for fifty years and still be soft and plyable.[huh]

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Straw has a tendency to puff up and lose its shape when moisture is introduced. So, you should generally avoid water exposure with straw hats (and many other hats, for that matter).

Agaveron

New in Town
Straws

...So where does the difference come from? Is it material durability, or just the brand? And what should I go for? I think I could settle for one of the Jaxon's hats. Fairly cheap and look great on the pictures. Is it a good choice?

Thanks for advice

BareHead[/QUOTE]

Hey Barehead,
I got a kick out of browsing this website:
http://panamahatsdirect.com/
Have not purchased from them but they explain the differences between Monte Cristi and Cuenca (Ecuador) hats with great illustrations and videos. I just purchased a nice Ecuador straw at Paris Hatters in San Antonio, Texas and it is really comfy! Lightweight, fine weave and soft. Almost can't wait for morning each day now because I know I get to wear my hat again. It was a bit pricier than my previous straws but the difference is amazing.
Best regards,
Agave Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails